Upcoming dungeon RPG by the same team that put together Danganronpa, are releasing their latest title Zanki Zero Last Beginning in the west this April. However, due to some content considered inappropriate, some scenes have been taken out of the release.
Zanki Zero’s Release in the West Gains Some Censorship
Spike Chunsoft have shared a new trailer for Zanki Zero Last Beginning, featuring some gameplay of the non-stop survival dungeon RPG. Along with the new trailer comes new details that they will be publishing the game with certain scenes removed for the western release. This means there will be some changes compared to the Japanese version.
Spike Chunsoft outlines these changes on their blog in comparison to the Japanese version as well as their motivatation behind these alterations:
To ensure a release for the West, changes were made to comply with the Western market. These content changes will also be included in the localized PlayStation®4 and Steam® (PC) versions. To reduce content which could be interpreted as sexualization of characters depicted as minors, the following changes have been made:
- PlayStation®4 Packaging art: In order to conform to public storefront display standards, images that can be interpreted as too sexually provocative must be modified.
- Sachika Bedroom Scene CGIs: In the Japanese release, Sachika’s panties are visible. In the Western release, Sachika is wearing pajama bottoms.
- Sachika CGI in the Opening Scene: In the Japanese release, Sachika’s panties are visible. In the Western release, the camera angle has been raised to not show Sachika’s panties.
- Child Rinko Extend Machine CGI: In the Japanese release, Child Rinko covers her chest with her arms. In the Western release, the position of her arms has been adjusted.
- All “Child” bedtime event cutscenes removed
This list seems quite distinct in terms of what was not deemed right for western audiences. Together with these changes come some gameplay adjustments and features such as New Game+ mode and audio options which include English or Japanese soundtrack:
- Japanese Swimsuit DLC included in-game
- Dual audio option (Choose from English or Japanese)
- Overall game balance and UI improvements
- Applied since the initial release (Patch 1.01-1.03)
- Added New Game+
- Skill points, Shigabane, Clione, Sound Player, and Extend Machine SCORE carry over into new game
[GAMEPLAY & UI ADJUSTMENTS]
- Overall enemy power adjusted
- Reduced damage when knocked into a wall by enemy attacks
- Reduced SCORE points lost when returning to Base from a Ruins or after Game Over
- Items picked up while inventory is full automatically move to another character’s inventory
- Shortcut to move items from party member to sub-member
- Upon using a co-op Charge Attack, cooldown time will not be applied to characters who did not attack
- Materials can stack up to x99 items in one slot (Does not apply to weapons/armor)
- Boss respawn time reduced by half as many days
- More water bottles appear on Garage Island
- Shorter loading time for certain events
- Fixed some tutorials
- Items that disappear after being dropped in an area with too many items will now re-appear on Garage Island’s beach
- Added “Days Elapsed” tracker in system menu
- Weapons and armor that could not be used by certain age groups modified so they can now be used by all ages, though ATK and DEF will be reduced to 1/4 (This penalty can be eliminated with certain skills)
- Other minor fixes and adjustments
- Included in Day 1 US release, and planned in a patch for the Japanese release:
- New skills
- Difficulty I: Lowered difficulty to allow players to focus on story and puzzle-solving (other difficulties have not been modified)
You can check out the new gameplay trailer below:
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning releases on PS4 and PC on April 9th 2019.
If you want to know more about this game be sure to read our Zanki Zero Last Beginning Preview – What Kills You Makes You Stronger. You can also catch a rundown of recent RPG news in Top RPG News Of The Week: March 3rd (The Outer Worlds, Kingdom Hearts 3, Pokemon And More!).