Last updated on November 22nd, 2018
Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
Check out the video above and read on for the text!
- This week a special announcement video was released confirming the earlier rumours about Microsoft considering Obsidian as their next acquisition. Sure enough, the developer known for such RPG games as Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire and Fallout: New Vegas, are joining Microsoft Studios. This venture works well in Microsoft’s favour as they get a studio that works on RPGs, giving their platforms PC and Xbox One a chance to develop more titles in this genre.
- But that’s not the only studio to be joining Microsoft Studios, inXile Entertainment has also been snapped up. inXile’s is known for such titles as Wasteland and most recently The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrow’s Deep.
- Both studios will continue to produce RPG projects which seems to be the reason why Microsoft were so keen to acquire these studios. It has been quite a busy year for the company also acquiring Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games and Mojang, they now have 13 different developers working under Microsoft Studios.
- What do you think of this news? Let us know in the comments below.
Read more about this news in Obsidian And InXile Entertainment Officially Becomes Part Of Microsoft Studios.
Final Fantasy 13
- Microsoft announces backwards compatibility for Final Fantasy XIII at X018. The games will also receive Xbox One X Enhancements.
- Originally released in 2010 Final Fantasy XIII made its way to Xbox 360. Featuring Lightning, its female lead and adding new innovations to the Final Fantasy combat system known as Paradigm, allowing players to change their strategies even mid-fight.
- At X018 Microsoft’s Xbox One showcase, they announced that all three Final Fantasy XIII games would be backwards compatible for Xbox One. Meaning if you still own the original disc, it will be playable now on the Xbox One. If you don’t own a physical copy, you can still play the trilogy by downloading it from the Microsoft store.
- These aren’t the only Final Fantasy games coming to Xbox One, as it was previously announced back in September that other titles such as FFVII, FFX-X2 and FFXII would be playable too.
To read more about this news find it here in Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy Becomes Xbox One Backwards Compatible.
Monster Hunter Movie
- Capcom’s Monster Hunter movie is well under way with production having started in September. New details reveal that it will include characters and monsters from the franchise of games such as Monster Hunter World.
- This means the movie could very well feature such beasts as the infamous Deviljho or even Kulve Taroth. The story is to be set in both, the real and fantasy worlds.
- Paul W.S. Anderson the producer of the movie shares that he’s been fan of franchise for quite some time and for him this is a “passion project”.
- While not much detail has been shared about the storyline, Anderson does reveal some of the characters that will be involved: “There’s The Handler and Admiral, Aiden, Aiden’s Handler. We wanted Palico.” He went on to say “Some of the leading characters will be fresh characters but that’s a reflection of what the video game is. It’s definitely a movie that is firmly and fully entrenched in the world of the video game…”
- The Monster Hunter movie is currently in production with no release date announced yet.
To read more about this news find it here in Monster Hunter Will Feature Characters and Monsters from Games.
- Playstation announce the release date for upcoming indie racing adventure Desert Child. This hoverbike retro inspired game with RPG elements will be launching on December 11th.
- The inter-planetary title developed by Oscar Brittain and produced by Akupara Games will finally be releasing this December. Combining the RPG genre with racing, this unique game uses retro pixel aesthetics and is complemented with a fitting soundtrack to go with it. Not only did Brittain come up with the narrative and game design, but also most of the backing tracks.
- In the quirky announcement the developer himself shares that Desert Child has gone “gold”, which is an industry term meaning it’s full steam ahead for the release of the game.
- Desert Child will be releasing digitally on December 11th on Playstation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC.
To read more about this news you can find it here in Desert Child Racing Adventure Gets Launch Date For December 11th.
Game of Year 2018
- It’s that time of year again where you can help pick the Game of Year 2018 awards. There are an array of categories for The Game Awards and over 100 games to choose from.
- Each game will have their chance to shine as there are multiple categories they can be voted for. These categories include Game of Year, Best Ongoing Game, Best Game Direction, Best RPG and much more.
- The contenders that are included for the Game of the Year include Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Celeste, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Monster Hunter World and Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Top contenders for the Best Role-Playing Game include “Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Monster Hunter World, Ni no Kuni II: Reverent Kingdom, Octopath Traveler and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
- The winner will be announced on December 6th at The Game Awards, you can watch it live from most major streaming platforms.
To read more about this news find it here in Game Of Year 2018 Nominees Revealed.
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- New features will arrived for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey with the latest update, details of which were included in Ubisoft’s latest blog post.
- The post outlined some of the features which include a visual customisation system, allowing a full range of options for personalisation of gear or transmog if you will.
- The new system will let players choose their weapons, armor and gear to suit their preferred look without affecting the actual stats of their armor. Players will be able to access this through their inventory.
- Not only will you be able to change your style of gear, but even the armor or weapons you’ve chosen to sell will be collected a look.
- The Assassin’s Creed Odyssey update went live earlier this week.
To read more about this news find it here in Ubisoft Announce Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Visual Customisation System Launching Today.
- While many fans of the Fallout franchise emerged from their vaults for the launch of Fallout 76, West Virginia wanted to make it official with an actual Reclamation Day for their state.
- Yes that’s right, West Virginia now recognises November 14th as Reclamation Day.
- Due to the spotlight the game has given West Virginia, being based on the actual state, as a thank you the day is now real. While I don’t think it will be a national holiday or anything, it is still quite amazing that it is a recognised day.
- The proclamation made by the state outlines what Fallout 76 has done for the state, helping with tourism since the game heavily features real places of West Virginia.
To read more about this new you can find it here in Fallout 76 Gets An Officially Recognised Reclamation Day In West Virginia.
- In the first time in its 24 year history, Sony has decided to skip E3 2019. Deciding to neither attend or hold their own press conference at the next E3.
- In a statement via Game Informer, Sony reveal that they will neither “activate or hold a press conference around E3”, this also means no Sony exhibit at the event also.
- In their statement they shared “As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community.”
- This isn’t the only event they have decided to forgo, back in September they announced that even their own Playstation Experience which happens yearly was also cancelled this year.
To read more about this news find it here in Sony Opts Out Of E3 2019.
- The publisher THQ Nordic has been busy as they snap up the intellectual properties to the RPG series Expeditions. They also confirm that they starting development of a third instalment.
- In a tweet on their official Twitter account they announce that they have just acquired the historical inspired tactical turn-based games Expeditions. This includes rights to Expeditions: Conquistador, Expeditions: Viking and all the downloadable content for the games. They also announce that they are already in agreement with the developers Logic Artists to start working on the third title in the series.
- But this is not the only recent acquisition that THQ Nordic has announced. Just this week they shared that they have bought Bugbear Entertainment known for its fast paced driving game Wreckfest, and also Coffee Stain Studios known for its quirky Goat Simulator game.
To read more about this news, find it here in THQ Nordic Acquires Expeditions And Has Plans For Third Instalment.
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: