Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
Check out the video above and read on for the text!
The Last Faith
- Publisher Playstack and developer Kumi Souls Games has announced the upcoming soulslike metroidvania The Last Faith is coming to PC and consoles this year.
- Get ready for an unholy alliance of metroidvania and soulslike in The Last Faith, launching on PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One in 2022. The news was announced alongside a new trailer at the Future Game Show last weekend.
- Originally launched as a Kickstarter campaign in 2020, the dark pixel side-scroller quickly surpassed its original goal by a massive 466%. The game takes players to what lurks in the shadows. The brutal but empowering gameplay sets players on a challenging experience marrying metroidvania with soulslike elements.
- The gameplay focuses on merciless combat, with a number of custom executions to perform. Combat is described as reactive, with weapons gaining different stats and special movesets. Dodges come in three different types, back dodge, tactical dodge and evasive.
For more on this news find it here in The Last Faith A Soulslike Metroidvania Coming To PC And Consoles 2022.
- Unveiled during the Xbox + Bethesda Games Showcase this week, a new 2D RPG game called Pentiment from the director of Fallout: New Vegas.
- Obsidian Entertainment revealed a new 2D role-playing game called Pentiment coming to Xbox and PC in November 2022. Those subscribed to Game Pass will also be able to access the game when it launches.
- The game is centered around branching narratives based in 16th century Bavaria playing the role of Journeyman Artist Andreas Maler. The title is directed by Fallout: New Vegas director Josh Sawyer. The artstyle is also pretty unique, inspired by manuscripts and woodcut prints, with a narrative derived from history itself.
- Maler will take on odd jobs as he travels around Europe. Unfortunately during one of his commissions, working on an illuminated manuscript, his mentor is accused of murder. While his friend claims he is innocent, no one seems to believe him. Maler must step in to find out who the killer really is, in a medieval detective story.
- While you do need to investigate, Pentiment is not defined as a detective game by the developer, as it’s light on the detective game mechanics. It combines adventure, mystery with murder elements.
- Pentiment is just one of the games Obsidian is currently working on. Currently in development are Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2.
For more on this news find it here in Pentiment A Narrative Mystery RPG From Fallout: New Vegas Director.
Hollow Knight Silksong
- Hollow Knight: Silksong was another game featured during the Xbox + Bethesda showcase this week, confirming the title will be coming to Xbox Game Pass day 1 of launch. While no release date was announced, Team Cherry did share the title will release within the next 12 months.
- Hollow Knight: Silksong quietly entered the stage as the second game of the showcase, right after Redfall. Tons of new gameplay was shown off starring the main character the Hornet.
- She initially made her debut in the original Metroidvania as a boss. Rather than exploring the underground and its labyrinthine passages, you will have to ascend to the top of the new and mysterious haunted land of Pharloom after being captured. And just like before, you will encounter a large variety of creatures to slay such as beasts, knights, assassins, and of course, more bugs!
- Hornet also still retains much of her moveset and abilities from the first game. She will be able to make use of her quick and silky needle attacks.
- Silksong will have you solve several quests divided into 4 categories – Hunt, Grand Hunt, Gather, and Wayfarer.
- If you want to know more about Silksong and any other news mentioned in this video, be sure to visit the link in the description below this video.
For more on this news find it here in Hollow Knight: Silksong New Gameplay Footage, Release In The Next 12 Months, Playable Day 1 On Xbox Game Pass.
- The Xbox + Bethesda showcase also featured new gameplay for Starfield. The 15 minute footage showed combat, exploring planets on foot as well confirming there will be over 1000 planets to explore. These planets will be divided up into a hundred different star systems. Based on the footage, there will be so many different zones that have a unique look or feel to them.
- Starfield’s gameplay looks like a mix between Fallout, No Man’s Sky and The Outer Worlds. The player will be able to roam around planets and wander off in any direction. To help them identify key points of interest, they will be equipped with a trusty scanner.
- Starfield will have a good emphasis on combat, specifically gunplay. The trailer didn’t give off a hint that we would be getting more exotic sci-fi flavors such as energy or plasma weapons. Starfield still seems to be grounded in its “NASA-Punk” reality.
- Pilot your own ship in either cockpit view complete with dashboards or looking at your entire ship. More importantly, you can engage in ship combat, moving around in all directions.
- Starfield is planned to release in the first half of 2023. It will be available on Windows and Xbox consoles.
For more on this news find it here in Starfield Gameplay Reveal Teases 1000 Planets, No Man’s Skyrim, Ship Combat, And More.
- Diablo IV was one of the heavy hitters in the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase. The biggest bombshells were that Diablo IV will be released in 2023 and the announcement of the Necromancer class.
- The footage featured a disciple of one of the “darker arts” of blood and bone. With it, the priests of Rathma were announced for Diablo IV. The Necromancer has been confirmed to be the fifth and final playable class for the upcoming ARPG.
- The Necromancer will have access to what is called “The Book of the Dead” which will grant them “unprecedented control of their army”. Skeleton Warriors and Mages can be customized to take upon one of three distinct forms.
- More interesting though is that the game is being built from the ground up with cross-progression and cross-play in mind. Diablo IV is also confirmed to have a form of couch-coop enabled for friends sitting beside each other. More emphasis is being placed on player choice this time around. A detailed character customization menu will be available for the first time ever in Diablo.
- Be sure to check out our Diablo IV wiki for more info on the game as it releases.
For more on this news find it here in Diablo IV June Quarterly Update Focuses On Our Favorite Blood And Bone Summoner Class, The Necromancer.
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
- Capcom held their showcase this week, revealing a Monster Hunter Rise demo which is now available. Players can get an early look at the upcoming expansion which drops for PC and Switch at the end of this month.
- The new expansion brings a host of new monsters, Silkbind attacks and switch skills for all weapons. Other new features also include follower quests with your favourite Rise characters plus new ones. We also get to experience a new hub and plenty of new challenges.
- As for what we can experience in the demo, it looks like we’ll get to preview the new Jungle biome, face Astalos, Tetranadon and slay a Great Izuchi. There’s also access to training quests such as Wyvern Riding, learning the basics and Switch Skill Swap.
- Capcom also shared the content roadmap for Sunbreak which includes seasonal updates that go into 2023. These updates outlined are free title updates which include further rare species monsters, Lucent Nargacuga, special species monsters, powered-up monsters, a new locale Foriorn Arena and more monsters. More information will be shared “soon” according to Capcom, which should reveal the types of monsters coming.
- In case you missed it, be sure to check out our Monster Hunter Rise preview about the new outpost, wirebugs, monsters and gameplay. Be sure to drop by our Monster Hunter Rise wiki for all the latest.
For more on this news find it here in Capcom Showcase Announces Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak Demo Plus Roadmap 2022.
Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
- Wo Long Fallen Dynasty was one of the games featured during the Xbox showcase. Team Ninja recently shared in an interview with IGN, that “Difficult games shouldn’t be difficult just for the sake of it,” according to producer Masaaki Yamagiwa.
- In case you missed it, Wo Long sets to be a soulslike based on the Three Kingdoms era. This period is full of conflict, so is perfect for a challenging combat game. As for the setting, it takes place in China and the scope seems to be on quite a large scale compared to previous titles the studio has done in the past set in Japan such as Nioh 2.
- The game just like Nioh sets to have plenty of mythical and dark fantasy elements, with some brutal sword slashing from the get-go according to the trailer. It also features a ferocious dragon, which makes sense as the title translates to “crouching dragon”.
- If you’re worried about the level of challenge, Team Ninja shares that while the game is going to be “extremely challenging and demanding” they have new approaches to setting the difficulty. Promising the type of “satisfaction that wasn’t present in earlier Team Ninja titles”.
- Something new to the game compared to previous Ninja titles will be the addition of the morale system. The studio will work in the “elegance of Chinese martial arts” making for a very stylish form of combat.
- Wo Long Fallen Dynasty releases in early 2023 for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Playstation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC. As well as Xbox Game Pass.
For more on this news find it here in Team Ninja Shares That Their Next Game Wo Long Won’t Be “Difficult Just For The Sake Of It”.
Dragon’s Dogma 2
- Capcom has announced a digital event would be happening this week to celebrate 10 years of Dragon’s Dogma. While we had a few inklings that a sequel could be happening, it was confirmed Dragon’s Dogma 2 was in development.
- How did they announce this highly anticipated sequel? In style of course. The game’s director Hideaki Itsuno shared the good news along with art director Daigo Ikeno, as well as environment art lead Kenichi Suzuki. Right at the end of the presentation which went over the history of the games they worked on and the high fantasy title DD. Right at the end though they unzipped their hoodies and were all revealed to be wearing Dragon’s Dogma 2 t-shirts, unveiling the official logo.
- So far not many details have been revealed about the upcoming sequel, but what we do know is the game is being developed using the Capcom RE Engine. So far release window and platforms have not been revealed.
- In the meantime you can grab Dragon’s Dogma on Playstation 4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam for as low as $5 USD until June 24th.
For more on this news find it here in Dragon’s Dogma 2 Announced By Capcom During 10th Anniversary Livestream.
Final Fantasy VII
- It was a big week for Final Fantasy VII as a number of announcements and details were shared during the 25th-anniversary celebration. So let’s have a quick catch-up.
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was just announced, the second instalment to the game’s remake series. It will be available in the Winter period of 2023. We already knew that Final Fantasy VII Remake would be told in multiple parts, but it was also confirmed that this saga would be a trilogy.
- The footage opened with some dialogue from Aerith. While we didn’t get much gameplay, it did show Cloud and Sephiroth or Cloud and Zack walking through the forest.
- Also confirmed during the conference was that Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade is now available on Steam. Another announcement that got fans excited was the unveiling of Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core: Reunion. This title is planned for release on the Xbox and PlayStation consoles and PC in the winter of 2022. As it stands, the game looks to be a prequel to the Remake game, similar to how the 2008 original was a prequel to the OG Final Fantasy VII.
- Other announcements included a look at two of the FFVII mobiles games, “The First Soldier” and “Ever Crisis”. The First Soldier is a multiplayer shooter that will start Season 3 soon. With that, it will bring new maps, weapons, Materia, and the Machinist style.
- Ever Crisis, on the other hand, is a different take on remaking Final Fantasy VII’s story. It looks to be “another chance for a remake”. It uniquely blends the classic and remake style in its graphics, creating quite the charming look. Closed Beta for Ever Crisis starts sometime in 2022.
For more on this news find it here in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Announced At The Series’ 25th Anniversary Celebration.
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: