Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
Check out the video above and read on for the text!
- Happy New Year Fextonians, here’s this week’s dose of RPG news.
- The Action-RPG NieR Automata has now exceed 5 million copies sold, which was recently shared by the developer Square Enix. In a tweet on their official Twitter account, the developer has announced the news and the staggering number of copies now sold.
- NieR Automata was originally released in early 2017 on PS4 and PC, then later launched on Xbox One the following year. It was just this year in March when it reached the 4.5 million mark, and now has gained around another half a million in units sold.
- NieR: Automata is set in a world where androids are set to battle against the bio-machines who have invaded the planet. A new android infantry called the YoRHa squad are the last heroes to take down the invaders in this blend of action combat and dramatic story.
- The next NieR game coming to consoles and PC is the remaster, or rather upgraded version, NieR Replicant 1.22474487139, which will be coming to PS4, Xbox One and Steam on April 24th 2021 worldwide.
For more on this news find it here in NieR Automata Surpasses 5 Million Copies Sold.
- In an interview with Famitsu, director behind Nioh and Nioh 2 Fumihiko Yasuda shared that Team Ninja won’t be working on a new entry for the Nioh series next year, calling it a “resting point” for the franchise.
- Nioh launched in 2017, which brought it’s own flavour of Dark Souls-like combat, with a unique tale to tell. The critically acclaimed title then got it’s sequel Nioh 2 which launched in March 2020, with a host of changes including creating your own character plus co-operative mode for missions. It also received more content after its launch, the latest being the DLC The First Samurai which added more challenging missions and the most formidable foes the series has seen so far.
- The director Yasuda was asked what their keyword was for 2021, and they said it will be all about “transition”.
- As for what’s next for Team Ninja that’s yet to be seen, as it looks they will be focusing on something different.
For more on this news find it here in Nioh 2 Director Shares The Series Will Reach A Resting Point In 2021.
- It looks like producer at Square Enix Yosuka Saito has his hands full for next year, as their latest end of year message in Famitsu confirms Babylon’s Fall is still coming.
- In the article, Saito shared an end of year message which asked him to share a keyword for 2021 and what he was working on next year. The keyword for 2021 is “NieR” and he expressed further projects NieR Reincarnation, the mobile game and NieR Replicant 1.22 which is the remaster of the original coming out this year.
- While there were no surprises there, he did also confirm that Babylon’s Fall, the close ranged combat-focused action title is still coming.
- Saito also shared that the team are working on a “brand new game”. there is currently no confirmation on what exactly that game is, but it’s exciting to hear another game is in the works.
For more on this news find it here in Babylon’s Fall Still Coming Shares Square Enix Producer.
- In a recent interview on the Japanese website 4Gamer, president of Level-5 Akihiro Hino shared more about their plans for 2021, which will focus on developing games, as well as cooperating in production of animation and other media.
- They are also currently working on an unannounced game which currently remains a mystery. Hino said he couldn’t share any details about the title yet but progress of the development is moving ahead.
- Level-5 are the studio behind the Ni no Kuni games, which brought the remastered version of the Wrath of the White Witch to PS4 and PC in 2019, as well as a new platform on Switch. We’ll have to wait to see what this mystery title they could be working on is, maybe more Ni no Kuni?
For more on this news find it here in Level-5 Currently Working On Unannounced Game.
- CD Projekt Red have now launched an official website featuring upcoming DLC for Cyberpunk 2077. The website shares that the free DLC will be coming sometime in early 2021. There are so far no details about what the DLC will contain yet.
- Previously the developer had teased that more content would be coming in 2021 for Cyberpunk 2077, describing future updates as “substantial, story-driven expansions”. The plans also outlined a number of free DLC packs which is similar to what happened with the Witcher 3.
- But it hasn’t been smooth sailing for the launch of game which happened earlier in December. The developer was under fire as many fans of the game reported bugs and unplayable performance on last-gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One. This resulted in Sony announcing they would be pulling the game from their digital store, and offering refunds for those who wanted to return the game.
- CD Projekt Red have been diligently rolling out updates for PC as well, trying to fix some of the strange bugs and glitches that have manifested in the game, with the latest hotfix 1.06 being released last week for PC and consoles.
For more on this news find it here in Cyberpunk 2077 DLC Website Confirms First Free DLC Arrives Early 2021.
Xbox + Bethesda
- In a recent Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb’s Xbox Podcast, Xbox head Phil Spencer talked about the implications of the acquisition of Bethesda.
- In this interview, he mentioned that the final approval of the deal will be in 2021, and that it’s all set which he is feeling pretty good about. Microsoft will remain “hands-off” at this stage, as the deal hasn’t been completed as of yet.
- Spencer mentioned that Bethesda joining Xbox was “very very critical” for Xbox’s progress and moving forward. He is also looking forward to start working with the company, as well as he’s “incredibly excited” about Starfield, as well as other announced games and unannounced games.
- It was back in September when Bethesda was acquired along with its parent company for $7.5 billion. The acquisition grants Microsoft a number of major RPG franchises which includes Fallout and The Elder Scrolls.
For more on this news find it here in Xbox Head Believes Bethesda Will Be Critical To Xbox Progress; Plus Excited About Upcoming Games.
- Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced the January 2021 lineup for Playstation Plus free games, this includes Action-RPG Greedfall, and ShaRkPG Maneater.
- The free line up for Playstation Plus for the month of January 2021 includes a few very different games, so there is something for everyone to start your year off.
- Maneater, describe as ShaRkPG, will be available for PS5, and brings shark attacks with a whole different perspective. In this game you’re the toothy biter, who will explore the open-world RPG, first starting as a shark pup, then growing into a larger more ferocious size. You can even tailor your shark to your own playstyle.
- Greedfall is another title free with PS Plus this January on PS4. The Action-RPG is all about the discovering the new world. The title features a pretty impressive set of RPG systems, including the chance to put your own party together, customising everything from magical abilities to armor.
- Also on the list for January is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This action-adventure sends Lara Croft to South America. Explore, fight, craft and survive perilous jungles and other unforgiving environments.
For more on this news find it here in Playstation Plus Free Games Announced For January 2021.
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: