Last updated on February 14th, 2019
Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
Check out the video above and read on for the text!
- After over a decade after the action-RPG Jade Empire was released on Xbox, EA files for a trademark under the same name.
- On January 22nd EA have started the process to trademark the name “Jade Empire”, the original title was used back in 2005. The developer Bioware has developed franchises such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age and their most recent IP Anthem.
- The title was released on the Xbox and was an action-RPG which featured martial arts and was recently made backwards compatible last year. It was after when EA bought out Bioware in 2007, that they would go onto then develop the Mass Effect series.
- While the reason for claiming this trademark could mean they plan to create a sequel, a remaster or even a remake of the original. Or they could just be acquiring their previous titles which is something large game developers do from time to time, whether that be for plans for now or in future.
To read more about this news find it here in EA Files Trademark For Jade Empire.
Final Fantasy XIV
- The MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has seen its share of collaborations and 2019 is no different, as a new event has been announced with a crossover with Final Fantasy XV.
- One of the main characters in Final Fantasy XV Noctis will be appearing alongside the heroes in Final Fantasy XIV. The new crossover event was announced at the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival in Paris held over the weekend.
- Along with the news comes a trailer featuring the event, the campaign shares a lot of elements from Final Fantasy XV. The trailer starts with Noctis with the Regalia, a flying car that is used by him and his companions as they venture through Eos. The video shows Noctis battling against enemies alongside a companion, fans of Final Fantasy XV will find some of those foes quite familiar.
- We also get to see characters from Final Fantasy XIV using some of Noctis’ Royal Arms weapons which means you should be able to gain them by taking part in the collaboration. As well as weapons comes the first 4 person mount to join the game, players will get a chance to gain a Regalia of their very own.
To read more about this news find it here in Noctis Will Join Final Fantasy XIV In A New Collaboration Event.
- Black Desert is getting its launch on a new platform, on March 4th Xbox One players will get to play the MMO. If you want to test out the action packed Black Desert you can check out the demo which will launch on 12:00 AM PST on February 14th until 11:59 PM on Sunday February 17th 2019.
- The final version of the beta adds some new features and fixes which includes trading, Photo mode has been enabled, Motion Blur has been turned down, reduced looting time, chat can be turned off and all quest bugs from beta 1 have now been fixed.
- The developers Pearl Abyss have also announced via blog post on their website that they are testing their first Node War. This mode allows guilds to build forts in an area and battle in PvP to gain control of regions. Players will need to join a guild in order to take part of the action.
- If you want to take part in the demo all you need is an active Xbox Live Gold subscription and download the beta from the Microsoft Store. Players will be able to experience all six classes and a level cap of 40. Those who stream or share video of the beta have a chance to win a copy of the game from Pearl Abyss.
To read more about this news find it here in Black Desert Final Beta For Xbox One Starts February 14th.
The Outer Worlds
- The title The Outer Worlds is seen as a spiritual successor of the Fallout series is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment. The publisher Private Division have confirmed that the game will be sold at the retail price of $60. Sharing in a recent article with Game Informer, that a physical copy will also be available upon release.
- At this moment, neither Obsidian or Private Division have unveiled when The Outer Worlds will be arriving later this year. However we have learnt of some core details since its reveal a few months ago.
- Some key features to focus on include that it won’t be a traditional open-world RPG, instead of gaining a world to openly explore, but instead travelling to different areas located on two planets. While players will have plenty of places to venture through, the universe won’t be as extensive as other open-world games. Fans will also be glad to know that The Outer Worlds will not have microtransactions.
- The Outer Worlds will release on PS4, Xbox One, and PC sometime later this year.
To read more about this news find it here in The Outer Worlds Will Have A Physical Release, Price Set At $60.
6 Classic RPG Games Come to Consoles
- The publisher Skybound games and developer Beamdog have teamed up to bring some classic Bioware and Black Isle Studio’s RPG games to new platforms.
- The developer Beamdog has had some previous experience in bringing classic RPGs to modern PCs with Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Planescape: Torment. Now setting their sights for console, bringing some beloved fan games to Playstation 4 and Xbox One. They are planning to release Enhanced Editions which will be the first time they are available not only in retail but digitally as well. Titles Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights come to consoles this year.
- All these titles were published under Interplay Entertainment and are well-known classic RPG titles. Skybound have also in the past published physical copies of games such as Hollow Knight which came to all platforms with physical version last year in August.
- More details of upcoming release dates and box content is expected in the coming months.
- Will you be picking up any these classic RPG titles? Let us know in the comments below.
To read more about this news find it here in Skybound Games And Beamdog To Bring Classic Bioware And Black Isle Studio Games To Consoles.
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
- The upcoming JRPG Granblue Fantasy Relink has been in the works for some time with Platinum Games developing the action-RPG.
- However their logo has now been removed from the site as Cygames takes a leading role in development.
- Both companies have released statements explaining the changes with Granblue Fantasy: Relink. Cygames shared that they would now take “100 percent of development internally”. While Platinum Games released a statement explaining that their “contract on the project has come to an end”.
- Cygames also went on to say that they “would like to assure everyone looking forward to the title that we remain committed to delivering a game that meets the expectation of our fan-base and gamers everywhere.”
- The news shouldn’t worry fans of the game as this hopefully will not effect the timeline for the release of Granblue Fantasy: Relink. Cygames released some footage of the in-game action in a video back in December of last year.
- Granblue Fantasy Relink currently has no announced release date. It will firstly launch on PS4 and hopefully be announced for more platforms later on.
To read more about this news find it here in Cygames Leads Granblue Fantasy: Relink Development as Platinum Games Leaves Project.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is going to release next month and gearing up to the release, FromSoftware the developer as well as Activision the publisher drop a new story trailer. This short video follows a flash back of Sekiro or “One-armed wolf” as a child. Stranded on a bloody battlefield, a man appears and takes this novice under his wing. The man who becomes his master is known as the Owl. As the memory comes to an end we see Sekiro in the present, now an adult seemingly reflecting on his past as his master now recounts the memory. The Owl says a line that adds gravity to the scene while placing his hand on Sekiro’s shoulder: “That day I pulled you from the battle field, I had no idea what you’d become.”
- This leaves us wondering if his master is completely pleased with Sekiro’s transformation as his tone may suggests otherwise, or he could be just astounded at how far he’s come.
- Sekiro doesn’t seem to be like most FromSoftware games where players have had to dig deep into the games lore to extract the narrative, or piece together discoveries to build a backstory. The developer has taken a different tact offering more of the narrative upfront which can be seen in this latest trailer. That doesn’t go to say that they won’t have a secret or two hidden within the game.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice releases next month on March 22 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
To read more about this news find it here in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Gets A New Story Trailer.
- It was two years ago when Team Ninja released Nioh, a brutal action-RPG with challenging combat set in a dark samurai fantasy world. Marking the second anniversary, Koei Tecmo the publisher of the title celebrates announcing with over 2.5 million copies sold worldwide. It was last year in May when the title reached 2 million copies.
- Nioh is inspired by the Sengoku period in Japan, set in the start of the 17th century. Taking on the role of an Irishman namedS William, players undertake the challenge to master a number of Japanese type weapons as they fight a range of horrific and deadly enemies.
- It’s been a while since last year where Team Ninja revealed at E3 that there would be a sequel, Nioh 2. The teaser trailer didn’t share much but we later learned players will be able to create their own unique characters. Just as the first Nioh had a demo for players to try, Nioh 2 will also have it’s own before it’s release.
- Nioh is currently available on PS4 and PC.
To read more about this news find it here in Nioh Reaches Over 2.5 Million Copies Sold Worldwide.
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: