Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
This Week in RPGs – September 24th, 2023
The Tokyo Game Show 2023 was full speed this week with a further look at Capcom’s highly anticipated Dragon’s Dogma 2. Cyberpunk 2077 has its launch of 2.0 plus launch times revealed for Phantom Liberty. The Elder Scrolls 6 doesn’t look to be coming to PS5 according to some court documents. More gameplay shown for the upcoming ghost hunter title Banishers: Ghost of New Eden and more!
The Elder Scrolls 6
- Bethesda may have just dropped their latest RPG Starfield but news of the next major game is of the Elder Scrolls 6 was in the news which leaked from court documents. According to the recent documents that were submitted in court between the FTC and Microsoft, Elder Scrolls 6 may not be released 2026.
- These documents also contained details that shared that Bethesda won’t be bringing the next instalment of the Action-RPG to Playstation 5.
- While this might not be surprising news since Bethesda Softworks was acquired by Microsoft. The studio has just released it’s latest IP Starfield which is the first under since the acquisition and remains exclusive to Xbox on console. It will launch on both PC and Xbox which is the same as Starfield and Redfall.
- A statement was released by Xbox head Phil Spencer in an interview in 2021 with GQ where he shared that Microsoft to offer a “full complete package” on the Xbox console that would include the Elder Scrolls VI.
- While this doesn’t seem overly surprising since the last couple of launches have been only on PC and Xbox, it seems that Elder Scroll 6 won’t be heading to Playstation at least according to these documents. Xbox head Phil Spencer acknowledged the leak behind these conversations and old emails that have been circulating on the Internet, but these apparently are older documents and there have been so many changes since these were made and they’ll share the “real plans” when they are ready.
For more on this news find it here in The Elder Scrolls 6 Not Coming to PS5 According to Official Documents.
- Cyberpunk 2077 got a new update 2.0 this week, a major one in fact that comes with quite a few new features and an overhaul of the Perk system. It also brings an updated police system, revamped Cyberware as well as balance changes.
- The changes are so major in fact, the developer CD Projekt Red has suggested players start brand new playthrough, especially with Phantom Liberty just around the corner.
- So when can we play the new expansion? According to the latest content will be coming to PC on September 25th (depending on region), for Xbox Series and Playstation 5 at midnight (local) on September 26th.
- If you’re on the west coast such as LA, PC players will be able to access the expansion on September 25th at 4PM PDT. For console players that’s September 26th at 12 AM PDT.
- Phantom Liberty is already setting to be a big content update for the game bring new storyline, a new area of Dogtown, new quests, gigs, boss fights and more. Be sure to check out our Review if you want to know what we thought of the expansion. We also have a handy video on all the new features in update 2.0. Don’t forget to drop by the Cyberpunk 2077 wiki for all the latest info.
For more on his news, find it here in Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Launch Time – When Can We Play?
- We already knew that Starfield has been making big waves, and is Bethesda’s biggest launch to date. But just this week they have made it known just how big. The game has now garnered 10 million players since its launch this month.
- Just in the first week of its release, the studio revealed the player base had already reached 6 million players. That means since then, a further 4 million more Constellation adventurers have now travelled to the Star Systems.
- Starfield also has plans for further minor updates, the first being mainly hotfixes, HDR calibration menu, FOV slider, Nvidia DLSS Support for PC, Ultrawide Monitor support and a button that lets you eat all the scrummy cubed food. Mod support will also be fully supported in 2024. The title will gain a similar Creations systems used for games such as Skyrim and Fallout 4. Have you ventured into Starfield space? Let us know your favourite builds so far.
For more news find it here in Starfield Hits 10 Million Players Since Launch.
Banishers: Ghost of New Eden
- Don’t Nod’s next decision turmoil RPG Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden got a closer look at skills, difficult decisions and ghost-hunting combat in the latest gameplay preview.
- A new 7 minute video dives into the skills players will be armed with in the upcoming Action-RPG. Playing as a pair of spirit hunters, players will be using their abilities to hunt down pesky spectres and otherworldly beings. The game is described with a theme of a “journey between life, death, love, and sacrifices”.
- Each character players will meet will have their own story behind their demise. Of course, along the way weighty consequences will affect your playthrough. Also teased in Banishers is the ability to be judge, jury and maybe executioner, or banisher in this case. You can choose to let them suffer in banishment or let them ascend to serenity.
- However having ghost hunter Antea on your team, being a ghost herself comes in handy as it opens up some advantageous skills. Antea being a ghostly being from beyond is armed with more spiritual abilities, balancing Red’s brawn.
- Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden begins hunting down spirits November 7th 2023 for PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.
For more news find it here in Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Gets Gameplay Overview Featuring Spectral Abilities.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
- Since the Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 re-reveal under a new studio, developer The Chinese Room have shared a new dev diary series talking about the upcoming game. According to the first diary post by Studio Design Director Alex Skidmore, the game will be focusing on things that “only a vampire could do”.
- The game will also provide a plot full of player agency from a roleplaying perspective. Essentially, you can live your best vampire life in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2. As the game stems from the tabletop based on the World of Darkness, the developer wants to give players “greater immersion”. A world where you could believe there are “blood-sucking monsters” lurking in the dark. Not only are there vampires but you’re playing as one.
- The developer also teases a good balance between “roleplaying game” and “adventure story”. Skidmore also talked about the changes the game has gone through combat-wise. Referring to early stages of development comparing it to the gameplay of Dishonored but not quite matching the idea of vampires. Instead, they wanted the Kindred to feel like they were stalking their prey and to commit to actions without fear.
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 will be released in Fall 2024.
For more news find it here in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 to Focus on RPG Agency.
- As with any major game show, rumours were rampant for a new Monster Hunter. A new website has launched celebrating 20 years of the franchise, but no new title was announced at Tokyo Game Show.
- The first MH game was released in 2004 for the Playstation 2 on March 11th in Japan. The franchise has since seen a number of games with the most recent being the mobile title Monster Hunter Now which got its launch on September 14th.
- The mainline title Monster Hunter Rise was released in 2021 for the Nintendo Switch, later coming to PC, Xbox Series, PS5, Xbox One and PS4.
- The final digital event was in June this year, wrapping up the final updates for both MH Rise and the expansion Sunbreak.
- This would mean a new MH entry is not far off. However, the website for the 20th-anniversary of the Monster Hunter games launched along with the official X (Twitter) account sharing art commemorating the anniversary. March 2024 will be officially 20 years of Monster Hunter titles and would seem like a good time as any for new reveals. But we’ll have to wait and see.
For more on this news find it here in Monster Hunter 20th Anniversary Website Revealed But No New Game.
Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
- The next paid DLC for Action-RPG Wo Long Fallen Dynasty is coming soon, in a few days in fact on September 27th. Part of the season pass, Conqueror of Jiangdong brings new endgame content “The Thousand-Mile Journey” which will put players on a path to a battlefield, with plenty of rewards along the way. A new weapon type Long Sword, a new Divine Beast and new demons to face.
- In case you missed, players embark on their adventure based in the Three Kingdoms as a nameless militia soldier. They will battle a myriad of demons using sword skills, Wizardry Spells and Martial Arts.
- Wo Long Fallen Dynasty has already had a crossover with the fast-paced action game Naraka Bladepoint and Lies of P. Lies of P brought the Puppet’s Saber weapon and Etiquette, an umbrella weapon inspired by dark fantasy RPG.
- If you’re currently making your way through the Three Kingdoms, be sure to drop by our Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty wiki to stay on top of challenging bosses, armor, weapons and more.
For more on this news find it here in Wo Long Fallen Dynasty DLC Conqueror of Jiangdong Gets Action Packed Trailer.
Dragon’s Dogma 2
- We’ve been anticipating more Dragon’s Dogma 2 since it was announced back in 2022. The sequel to the open-world Action-RPG already gave a peek into what’s in store for players including the open world being four times the size of the first.
- But now a whole 9-minute deep dive into the game. Introduced by Game Director Hideaki Itsuno. As you’d expected, the Pawn system returns in Dragon’s Dogma 2 with three AI characters to run amok with you. Players will have four starting Vocations being Fighter, Archer, Mage and Thief.
- The Thief looks more fluid in Dragon’s Dogma 2, with quick spinning dagger attacks not only on the ground but in the air. Slicing and dicing a big ogre is no problem with the Thief’s agility.
- AI has gotten an upgrade since the first game, being far more reactive to player combat. The narrator actually says “using your wits against you”. This could mean we’re in for some intense battles.
- Two nations were also confirmed to be in the game, Vermund the human kingdom and Battahl which is the land of the beastren.
- You can even hitch a ride on an Oxcart. If you’re tired of walking, simply close your weary eyes to fast-travel to the destination. But if you choose just to ride along there’s also a chance to be attacked by monsters.
- The world has a day and night system, so time is always passing, this is similar to the original game. This makes for a very immersive experience, as the night will be completely dark and far more dangerous with certain enemies only coming out at night.
- Sometimes it may be useful to just pitch a tent and Camp for the night using a Camping Kit. Here you can interact with your Pawn companions.
- A new advanced class was shown called the Mystic Spearhand. This spear wielder has imbued magic for long-range and double-ended pointy Weapon to jab at enemies. Both magic and physical attacks can be used with this advanced class. Magic can be used to block enemies from making their move or to throw a number of things at once.
- Are you more hyped for Dragon’s Dogma 2 after seeing more gameplay? Let us know in the comments below.
For more on this news find it here in Dragon’s Dogma 2 Shows Off Magic, Monsters & More at TGS 2023.
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: