Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
This Week in RPGs – October 1st, 2023
Welcome back to another week of RPG news. This week Cyberpunk 2077 has a big comeback spiking the Steam concurrent player count, Banishers gets delayed, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous gets DLC announced, a mobile Final Fantasy 7 title is coming to Steam. We’ll go over this and more in this week’s video.
- Inspired by titles such as the “Made in Abyss” series, a hand-drawn RPG called Abyss Fantasia has been announced for 2024.
- Developed by Dlu Studio, the title follows the mysteries of a giant hole that appears in the central continent called the Abyss. Those who enter the dark place are instantly affected. It caused them to lose their sanity or transform into monsters.
- Risks somehow don’t outweigh the rewards, as there are rumours of precious loot to be found in the depths of the Abyss.
- Combat in Abyss Fantasia uses a turn-based card battle system. Cards have different effects depending on the situation, meaning a variety of ways to use cards.
- As players do battle, they must be wary the toll of the Abyss takes on them, and return to the border town of Cynthia before it’s too late. Here they can prepare for exploration, gather supplies, forge new equipment and choose unique relics to help in journeys into the depths.
- Abyss Fantasia looks to have some intriguing concepts, with some interesting card battles. The game will release sometime in 2024 for PC via Steam. If you want more on this news, or any news mentioned in this video be sure to check out the link in the description below.
For more on this news find it here in Abyss Fantasia a Beautifully Hand-Drawn RPG Coming in 2024.
Sword Art Online: Last Recollection
- Bandai Namco has released a demo for Sword Art Online: Last Recollection which arrived on platforms PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One and PC via Steam this week.
- The saved data from the demo will also carry over to the full game when it launches on October 6th worldwide.
- In case you missed it Last Recollection is a JRPG which has the biggest roster of playable characters from the Sword Art Online series. It puts together a number of favourites into the War of Underworld anime arc with a whole new story to uncover.
- The evolution of AI has broken out into an all-out war, serving as a Final Stress Test which is the beginning of the end of the world.
- Along the way, players will be challenged as they try to unmask the Dark Knight. Following Kirito and crew into dangerous battles against the forces of the Dark Territory. The game takes inspiration from MMO-like battles, with fast-paced and stylish combat.
For more on this news find it here in Sword Art Online: Last Recollection Demo Now Available.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has now topped 10 million units sold worldwide. Developer FromSoftware and publisher Activision have announced the great news. The game which was originally released in March 2019 has now been played by 10 million players which includes both physical and digital copies.
- Sekiro has had some major milestones. It reached 5 million units sold in 2020, just a year after its release and it gained 2 million in just 10 days of its launch worldwide.
- It gained Game of the Year at TGA 2019 as well gaining our Fextralife GOTY 2019 as well.
- Sekiro Shadows Die Twice was a highly anticipated game since it was first teased as FromSoft fans wondered what would be the studio’s next major game. The action-adventure uses RPG elements, providing challenging fights and difficult Bosses to best.
For more on this news find it here in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Surpasses 10 Million Units Sold.
Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis
- Square Enix has announced the recently launched mobile title Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis will be heading to PC via Steam. The game launched on September 7th for iOS and Android devices as a free to play mobile RPG.
- So far there are no details of when players will get to experience the game on PC but we do know that you continue your progress from the mobile version on PC.
- Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis tells the earlier parts of the original Final Fantasy 7 game. Ever Crisis follows your typical mobile game setup with gacha mechanics. It includes fan favourite characters such as Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith, Red XIII and more.
- Combat features Active Time Battles which utilise spells and abilities all catered to a mobile experience. Of course, players can pay for premium items to speed up progress in game.
For more on this news find it here in Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis Announced for Steam.
- The Action-RPG Cyberpunk 2077 has had a roaring comeback since its problematic launch back in 2020. Its rocky launch even experienced it being delisted on platforms, but has since had a number of updates.
- But the biggest has been the recent update 2.0 and the release of the DLC Phantom Liberty. The title has now seen the largest number of players on Steam since its release.
- That’s pretty major as it’s not often you see a title that can redeem itself after a not-so-positive experience on launch. Steam has seen a new peak of 246,754 players which is the highest it has been since the original game was released.
- While not quite near the all-time high of over 1 million concurrent players when it launched, that’s still quite a milestone.
- You might be wondering what’s next for Cyberpunk 2077 but according to developer CD Projekt Red, Phantom Liberty and 2.0 will be the last of the major updates for the game. In a recent article by PC Gamer, studio director Gabe Amatangelo shared they will be moving on with Cyberpunk 2 or Orion as it’s currently called.
- CD Projekt Red aren’t only working on the next Cyberpunk but also new Witcher games, continuing the saga and The Witcher Remake.
For more on this news find it here in Cyberpunk 2077 Has Major Comeback with Second Highest Steam Player Peak Since Launch.
Banisher: Ghosts of New Den
- The ghost-hunting Action-RPG Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden has had its release pushed to next year. The game will now be launching on February 13th 2024. Previously it was aiming for November 7th but it looks like it needs a few more months before it is ready.
- Studio Don’t Nod released a joint statement with publisher Focus Entertainment explaining the delay is to avoid the busy AAA end-of-year releases and to target a “less saturated period” in order to give the game “the attention it deserves”.
- While it does mean we’ll have to wait until next year to start hunting down spectres, it also means the game will spend a few more months being polished. Releases have been quite close together this year, so a bit of breathing room between titles isn’t bad.
- Recently Don’t Nod has shared more gameplay of Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden. We got to see how both ghost hunters Red and Antea will be pairing up to fight spirits. A tale of lovers who are torn apart when Antea becomes the very thing she hunts, a ghost.
For more on this news find it here in Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Launch Pushed to February 13th 2024.
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
- A new DLC is heading to the CRPG Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous called The Lord of Nothing. Developer Owlcat Games dropped a new trailer for the DLC which releases on November 21st 2023.
- The studio teases that the new content will focus on “unique locations” making “new friends” and even hints at a “powerful demon lord”. It marks the ending of Sendri and Rekarth‘s story. It will be available as part of the Season Pass 2.
- This time players will be venturing into the realm of ice and uncovering the mysterious wizard’s tower. You won’t be going alone as there is a new android companion and an angel of Sarenrae to help you take on the evil that occupies the dark corners of Golarion.
- In order to dive into The Lord of Nothing, players will need to have completed the fifth chapter. A new quest and dungeon will then become available.
- There are 15 new archetypes, new spells and feats to explore. These new additions will be available in the main campaign when creating a new character. But you can continue your playthrough with a current character or create a new one
- Pathfinder Wrath of The Righteous The Lord of Nothing DLC will be coming to PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC on November 21st 2023.
For more on this news find it here in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous DLC The Lord of Nothing Gets Trailer.
- Upcoming souslikes Deathbound gets a new combat trailer featuring the “power of steel and magic”. The Action-RPG gets a preview of just some of the ways players will be able to fight menacing foes in the dangerous city of Akratya.
- Playstyles can adapt to different situations by invoking the power of different characters found in the game. These fallen warriors lend the opportunity to players to switch between abilities such as Agharos’ earth-shattering hammer to raining down lighting using Olivia’s great powers. There’s even Morphstrike which combines all the fallen’s powers and be used upon the brink of death. This could turn the tide of impending doom.
- Deathbound is described as a techno-medieval game, where players can switch between moves on the fly through Binding. Having the flexibility to change up your tactics depending on what unrelenting boss you’ll face next.
- Deathbound will be unleashing sometime in 2024.
For more on this news find it here in
Well, that’s it for the Week in Wikis. Please join us next week for yet another great week of gaming! Remember to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks again for being a part of this great community. Keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: