On their official site today, Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red announced the first expansion to the popular Acrion RPG called Hearts of Stone, set for release on PC, Xbox One and PS4 on October 13th! The site had this to say:
Hearts of Stone is the first official expansion pack for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — an award-winning role-playing game set in a vast fantasy open world.
Some monsters are born, others are made. Hired by the Merchant of Mirrors, Geralt is tasked with overcoming Olgierd von Everec — a ruthless bandit captain enchanted with the power of immortality.
Step again into the shoes of Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, this time hired to defeat a ruthless bandit captain, Olgierd von Everec, a man who possesses the power of immortality.
This expansion to “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” packs over 10 hours of new adventures, introducing new characters, powerful monsters, unique romance and a brand new storyline shaped by your choices.
Here is a little more detail on what to expect:
- Level up even further by fulfilling new monster contracts and battling unique enemies.
- Enjoy some leisure time playing with new gwent cards, or engage in a new romantic relationship.
- Fulfill a contract for the soul-stealing Merchant of Mirrors, a mysterious traveller who helped you find Yennefer.
- Fulfill three impossible tasks to defeat Olgierd, a ruthless bandit captain under an immortality spell.
- Choose your own way through an adventure that includes recruiting a crew of break-in artists, spending a night partying with a ghost and outsmarting the most bizarre creatures Geralt has ever faced.
But wait that’s not all! They had this to add:
The expansion also introduces a brand new system of Runewords that significantly affects gameplay. Each Runeword will impact a different aspect of in-game mechanics and will allow the players to experiment with various strategies and tactics.
Along with the digital release, gamers will also be able to purchase a special, limited boxed edition of Hearts of Stone (SRP $19.99/19.99€) available at selected retailers worldwide. The box contains a digital download code for the expansion, two masterfully crafted physical decks of Gwent, the card game set in the world of The Witcher, and a detailed manual explaining the rules.
That’s quite a bit of an expansion, with a little of everything included for fans, and along with the recent New Game Plus update should give people plenty of reason to jump back in to the Witcher world. Will you be joining? Let us know what you think of this expansion in the comments.