Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got your back. Let’s take a look at the comings and goings across the Fextralife Wiki Network. Check out the video above and read on for the text!
Dark Souls 3
- The 2016 Playstation Awards winners were revealed this week by Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia. The awards are a yearly recognition of sales as well as user choice awards for games released between October 1, 2015 and September 30, 2016 in Japan and Asia. Dark Souls 3 took home a Gold Prize of sales of over 500,000 units in the region. Bloodborne also won the Users Choice Award so congratulations are in order for From Software and all of their great efforts on these 2 great titles.
- Other winners at the awards were Salt and Sanctuary, The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Fallout 4 and Overwatch! Congrats to the studios on their success!
Final Fantasy XV
- Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy XV will be receiving its first piece of DLC content, the Holiday Pack on December 22nd.
- The content adds New Game Plus to the game, which comes at a time when players may be nearing the end of their first playthroughs and are looking for something more. Furthermore the content will add a new photo frame freature where players can choose themed frames for Prompto’s photographs.
- There are 2 different versions of this, the Holiday Pack + and the Holiday Pack (Free Version). Players who own the Season Pass or the Digital Premium Edition will have access to the Holiday Pack + which adds some extra exclusive in-game items. Both grant access to the Moogle Chocobo Carnival, a Seasonal Event which will take place in late January. Players who have the Season Pass or the Digital Premium Edition should also download the Holiday Pack (Free Version) as the items will not be automatically downloaded.
The Elder Scrolls Online
- The New Life Festival began for the Elder Scrolls Online this week. The New Life Festival runs from December 15th – January 4th on PC, PS4 and XboxOne.
- You’ll have the opportunity to complete up to nine different daily quests, each themed for Tamriel’s different races and located in their respective zones.
- Upon completion of each quest, you’ll be given a New Life Gift Box which contains a random assortment of New Life Festival-themed goodies. Each New Life Gift Box will always contain:
- A random crafting material (Provisioning ingredient, Alchemy reagent, or Health glyph)
- A consumable version of a New Life-themed Memento
- A Skinchanger Style item (Wolfsbane Incense)
In addition, you will also receive one of the following:
- A Skinchanger Motif chapter
- A New Life recipe of either green, blue or gold-quality
- A special New Life Collectible
- If you’re able to complete all the quests that Breda has for you, you’ll receive a special new dye – New Life Cerulean – and the New Life Celebrant achievement. Completing all the New Life-related achievements will grant the “Magnanimous” title as well.
- Additionally there are some new Crown Store items for players, such as a crafting motif, some neat hats, and an elk mount, wolf mount and an ice wolf pup who is totally maybe named Ghost.
- Check the wiki page for all the deep details on what the event entails.
- After a period of maintenance, the Elder Scrolls Online servers on PC are now back up along with a new patch that is available for players. Check the blog for all the full minutae!
Horizon Zero Dawn
- In an interesting bit of technical development news, via Wccftech, Sony and Guerilla Games’ Horizon Zero Dawn will be using a GPU based procedural tech that dynamically creates the world around the player.
- In a Guerrilla Games GDC session description, we learn that this goes beyond the procedural generation of rocks and trees. The system assembles the entire environment! So sounds, effects, wildlife and game-play elements are dynamically created as the player travels through the world, creating quite the living atmosphere as opposed to the scripted or static environmental elements we’re used to in open world games. Color us intrigued!
- Later in the week, Sony and Guerrilla Games released a new video and dev diary for Horizon Zero Dawn that explores the origins of the game’s main character, Aloy.
- At the start of the game, Aloy is an orphan and an outcast, shunned by the tribe she lives in. Only a few people will want to interact with or sell items to her.
- There will be a few quests with Aloy as a child, which will be mostly used as tutorial quests. When she reaches adulthood, the game’s bigger mechanics will open up such as her skills and the larger machine enemies.
- In the accompanying post on the Playstation Blog, studio co-founder and Managing Director Hermen Hulst went on to expalin that the choice to design Aloy’s appearance and personality all serve the story and gameplay. Designing her as agile, curious, fierce and down to her earth is what compels the action and story forward.
- The Dawning arrived this week for Destiny and brings with it some holiday festivities. In conjunction with the start of the event, Bungie has released a new update for the game
- The event brings the following to players of the heavy hitter:
- The permanent return of the Sparrow Racing League with 4 tracks
- New Quests
- New Equipment
- Strike Scoring that allows players earn some new medals
- See the Dawning page on the wiki for the full update notes! Happy racing!
Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Techland and inXile Entertainment have announced that Torment: Tides of Numenera will release on February 28th for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
- The game will feature two different launch editions, a Day One Edition and a Collector’s Edition, each stuffed full of some great goodies for castoffs of the ninth world, including a soundtrack, printed map, statue and more!
- Torment is presently in early access on PC, and we’re hard at work prepping the wiki for it as your go to for info on classes, abilities, weapons, cyphers, locations, quests and more!
- Square Enix and Dengeki hosted a livestream for the Platinum Games developed Nier: Automata that showed off some more gameplay as well as a look at how the game runs on the PS4 Pro.
- PS4 Pro upgrades include motion blur additions and better atmospheric details.
- The gameplay shows off character 2B in the game’s fast action against a variety of mechanical enemies and an impressive in scope boss fight. Later you can see some meandering about the world, in the game’s Resistance Camp hub, as well as some mount riding.
- The game is looking like an action sleeper in a year that is going to be packed full of great titles.
- A PS4 demo is coming on December 22nd, so we’ll find out more shortly!
- Now that The Witcher 3 is a completed project, DLC and all, and with the standalone Gwent in beta, nearing its release, we can start looking at the future for the powerhouse studio CD Projekt Red. That future is a dystopic, gritty world called Cyberpunk 2077.
- While all is quiet on the news front, the game is undergoing heavy development and we’ve put together an everything we know article to help the inquisitive.
- It is set in the universe of the tabletop role-playing game Cyberpunk 2020 developed by R. Talsorian and written by Mike Pondsmith. The game will feature a multiplayer element in addition to its single player experience.
- Cyberpunk 2077 will be far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before, including The Witcher 3.
- Unlike taking on the role of Geralt in the Witcher, the game is a self-defined role-playing experience. There will be character classes and your style and personality will have deep and far-reaching effects on the world and how it reacts to you.
- The story will not have some world spanning implications where you save the world or the city, instead the focus is on the main character’s problems.
- What we lack in specifics we gain in interest and anticipation. Be sure to check out the lengthy article for more! We can’t wait to see more about the game!
- In a first look video on IGN, we got the opportunity to see 4 minutes of gameplay from The Surge, the upcoming Action RPG from Lords of the Fallen developer Deck13 and publisher Focus Home Interactive.
- The video shows main character Warren making his way through the Creo facility, engaging in the game’s Bloodborne like combat with some deranged mechanical enemies. Along the way he harvests some weapons from fallen foes as well as other looks at equipment. It culminates with a tease of an upcoming fight against one of the recently revealed bosses, the Smelter.
- Looks riveting! Get it?
- The Winter Wonderland event began for Overwatch this week and runs until January 2nd.
- All in-game Loot Boxes have been replaced withWinter Loot Boxes, and they contain over 100 new cosmetics.
- During the event, you can play a new brawl: Mei’s Snowball Offensive. Mei’s Snowball Offensive is a 6v6, single-elimination brawl. In this brawl, Mei’s Endothermic Blaster no longer unleashes a stream of frost or shoots icicles. Instead, it’s been modified to fire a single, super-powered snowball.
- You can activate Mei’s Ultimate, which turns her blaster into a semi-automatic snowball launcher, allowing you to fire continuously as your enemies scatter.
- Dontnod Entertainment and Focus Home Interactive released some screenshots for Vampyr, the Action RPG coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC in 2017.
- The screenshots focus on the decaying version of 1918 London that will be portrayed in the game. Ravaged by the effects of the Spanish Flu the city’s dwellers must also contend with the presence of Vampires who prey on the populace.
- As the main character, Dr. Jonathan Reid, a recently turned Vampire himself, you will wrestle with your desire to kill and your commitment as a doctor to heal.
- You will make use of abilities and weapons as you stalk your victims and those who hunt you. Your decisions will affect the quality of life for the neighborhoods of London as well as your own.
- The game is looking quite moody indeed. My kind of experience.
- Since their announcement trailer during the Game Awards, people have been wondering about what the gameplay will be like in Dauntless, the upcoming free to play Monster Hunter meets Dark Souls RPG from developer Phoenix Labs. In a developer blog post, they’ve given us an early look at what the combat will be like in the game.
- Dauntless will feature a stamina bar mechanic that governs powerful offensive actions like charges and combos. It’s also used for abilities like dodging and sprinting. This system is similar to those found in Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and can leave you exposed to an enemy attack or unable to land a blow on an opening if poorly managed.
- Players will be able to make creative use of these offensive and defensive tactics in concert like canceling out of a charge to dodge.
- The game is in very early stages and is set to release on PC sometime in 2017. Keep an eye out for a full preview from us coming soon!
Holiday Game Nights
- In a last bit of Holiday fun, we’re hosting 2 holiday game nights this month! We thought it would be fun to get together as a community and stream some games and hang out in the chat.
- The first night will be Thursday, December 22nd at 9 PM EST and the game will be the newly released Uncharted 4: Survival Mode. We’ll laugh, we’ll die, Cas will probably yell at Rubhen, I will die to gravity and Fex will go undefeated.
- The second night will be Thursday, December 29th at 9 PM EST and the game will be Drawful 2. Everyone can join in on this one! Drawful is a hilarious Pictionary type game where someone draws a terribly drawn representation of something and everyone guesses. The audience can all vote via their phones or tablets on which guess is the right one. You don’t need to own the game to vote and participate, so this gives us an opportunity to do something everyone can participate in at once!
That’s a wrap for the Week in Wikis, we’re looking forward to another great week of gaming fun! Don’t forget to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks for a great week and as always, keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: