Today, Zenimax Online and Bethesda have released some details on the player housing feature coming to the Elder Scrolls Online. Called Homestead, the feature is arriving with the next update in February, 2017 or can be tried on PC in the Public Test Server in January. To give a visual look at what to expect they’ve released the following video:
At launch, you will have access to nearly 40 unique homes. You will complete a quest to receive a small room at an inn and you can expand from there. The homes you can acquire are themed after the game’s 10 races and can come furnished or unfurnished. You can purchase any of them you’d like regardless of your race or alliance. Imperial style homes do require the Imperial Edition of the game to own. Players can own multiple homes and they are available to all of the characters on your account!
Owning a Home
Nearly all the homes can be bought with in-game gold. Unfurnished ones can be purchased with crowns or you can buy them for gold as well as complete an achievement that earns the approval to move into the neighborhood. You can also buy fully decorated versions in the Crown Store, and the furnishings can all be changed as you wish. The Crown Store will later have unique dwellings, like an island retreat. It’s all about that wish fulfilment.
You will be able to either craft or by new furniture and decorations for your house and can use the housing editor to move them all around. Some homes will feature outdoor real estate that can be further customized. There will be over 2,000 decorative items running the range from tables and chairs to books and plants.
You’ll be able to craft decor using existing skills, purchase them with gold through merchants, or buy them in the Crown Store. Earning trophies from Veteran Arenas, Dungeons and Trials will grant you monster themed busts that you can display in your home!
Achievement furnishers will stock special items that can be purchased after completing a specific achievement from questing, and this will be retroactive. For those bourgeois types, a luxury furnisher will sell rare and expensive premium goods for limited times.
You’ll also have the option to keep pets, mounts and items like assistants, crafting stations, target skeletons and light fixtures in your home. Copies of Shalidor’s library books can be placed and read in your home after you purchase them from Mages Guild merchants after you complete a set. You’ll also be ale to craft, test class builds, and have parties and gatherings from your comfy confines.
Here are a few more random tidbits they shared regarding the new housing feature:
- Houses are instanced, so you don’t have to worry about racing to grab the perfect spot of land
- Furniture you create via Furniture Crafting can be sold to other players
- You will be able to preview homes before you purchase, both furnished and unfurnished
- You will be able to allow friends and guildmates to visit your home; they can travel to your home via the group, friends, or guild lists while you’re in it, or by selecting “Visit House” by clicking on your name in those same lists when you’re offline
- You can grant trusted friends permission to decorate existing placed items in your home (they cannot add or remove items from your home)
- You can also allow those who are not on your friends list or in your guilds to visit and/or decorate your home by adding them as a “Visitor” or “Decorator” in your House Settings
- You’ll be able to conveniently fast travel to your homes via the World Map, similar to how Wayshrines currently work (but cost free), as well as directly via the Collections menu
- You can allow visitors into your new home – a visiting player simply needs to teleport to you
- Homes are secure – other players are not able to break into homes and steal items. Sorry, Thieves Guild!
Gotta love that vicarious living! All in all, the features seems like it’s robust and won’t be a simple buy and plop feature, but something that will evolve in usefulness over time. Thoughts on housing? If you’re a prospective buyer be sure to visit the wiki for some images of the houses you can buy!
Visit the Elder Scrolls Online Wiki
More on the Elder Scrolls Online