Ubisoft has released the next expansion for The Division, Survival for testing on the Public Test Server on PC. The expansion, which does not have a full release date for PS4, Xbox One and PC, tasks 24 players with surviving some truly harsh conditions. Survival is available to all PC players who own a Season Pass. If you do not own a Season Pass, you will be able to test the free update 1.5 but not the Survival game mode.
Story of Survival
- New York is preparing for the most brutal snow storm ever
- You get the information that there are antivirals in the Dark Zone that we can use for the cure
- Division dispatches a group of agents to retrieve these antivirals
- As you are flying to the DZ you crash with the helicopter
- You lose your group and gear and are in a bad shape
- You need to continue the mission from there on, fight your way to the Dark Zone, get the antivirals and then extract yourself and the antivirals to safety.
Start the mission
- You start the Survival mission in the Terminal in the Base of Operations.
Survival Game Mode
- 24 Players in a Session
- The session is about 2h long, after that you die when you have not extracted in the Dark Zone
- The goal is to get to the DZ, get the antivirals and extract yourself with a helicopter
- The whole map is available, so 24 players are on the whole open world map – including the Dark Zone
- You can select a PVP or PVE mode, so for players that don’t want to play against other players there is a special mode for that.
- There are not enough resources for all players, so even in PVE mode, it is competitive
- You can matchmake as a group, but you can also matchmake as solo player – or just go solo
- You can also group up with other players in the session – not more than 4 players
- You will be dropped off at the edge of the map and you have to work yourself through the city to the Dark Zone to get the antiviral
- Other Players will also drop on designated locations, so you can group up there.
- The closer you go to the center of the map, the harder the enemies are – but even those at the border can be very tough.
- So as you progress through the streets, you need to get better gear, gather supplies and unlock your skills. (Pulse and med-packs for example)
- When you die the session is over – unless you are revived by another player / group member
- You can revive yourself with a med-pack but those are very rare in Survival
- There are roaming enemies that are patrolling the Survival-Zone and those are very tough (Flashlight)
- The Survival Map is the same as the current open world – but everything is covered in snow
- There is also a snow storm, so there is a low visibility
- The Survival Zone is disconnected from the World Tiers, so everybody can play together – level 30 player can play with level 10 player
- You get XP for doing activities in Survival, so you can level up your character there
- Everybody has the same gear, so it is a fair start.
- You can play the Survival mode as soon as you have unlocked the Base of Operations
New Mechanics of the Survival Mode
- Your Agent is hungry, dehydrated and sick from something that you have contracted when you crashed (not Green Poison)
- You need to extract yourself to be treated, but the progression of the sickness can be slowed with medicine and painkillers
- Hunger impacts your health regeneration
- Thirst affects your vision
- You start with bad gear, so you need to get better clothes that protect you from the cold
- Trash barrels can be lit to give warmth
- Apartments give protection against the cold
- Skills can be crafted in the hideouts
- No Rogue mechanics – but there will be a notification when a player is killed so you can help or get his loot
- When you call an extraction in the Survival Dark Zone the Chopper will land and you can board it to get to safety
- But the flair will attract the new Hunters faction that will try to stop you from leaving
- Hazmat Suit and a Pistol
- All green equipment
- No Skills
- No First Aid
Vanity Items in Survival
- The clothes you find in the apartments have now a protection value against the cold
- So when you find a jacket that looks warm, it will also protect you against the snow storm.
- You can find food, water, clothes in apartments that will help you survive
- There are apparently helicopter crashes all over the Survival Zone and you find equipment there
- You will be able to find a lot of crafting materials / you can also deconstruct items you find
- You can craft items on the Crafting Tables in the Hideouts
- Skills can also be crafted in Hideouts
- Are new safe places that are scattered all over the Survival Zone
- You can find Crafting Benches there
- Not like Safe Houses but they will protect you against the cold
UI changes in Survival Mode
- No Minimap Pulse is king
- Less notifications overall
Loot / Rewards
- When you finish the session you get a summary based on how you did, how many NPCs you killed – this will give you a score. Based on that you will get a reward – so even when you failed to do the objective, you will get rewards.
- You can also find and extract sealed caches that will then appear in the main game and give you equipment
- Added World Tier 5 bracket (230+ GS)
- Enemy NPCs are level 34.
- Maximum Gear Score raised to 256.
- Heroic Incursions are now available in Tier 5 only.
- Named Gear items have been implemented in the game. One piece is available for each Gear Slot and each one comes with a unique Talent. Named Gear items can only be dropped in World Tier 5 or in Survival game mode.
- [Mask] Ferro’s oxygen mask: Players can move and shoot while under burn status effect.
- [Knee Pads] Shortbow championship pads: Grenades have shortened fuse timer.
- [Holster] Colonel Bliss’ holster: Powerful improvements for sidearms.
- [Gloves] Skulls MC gloves: Increased damage when no gear set bonuses are active.
- [Chestpiece] Barrett’s bulletproof: Powerful bonuses when skills are on cooldown.
- [Backpack] NinjaBike messenger bag: Less DZ loot and DZ XP lost when dying in the Dark Zone.
- Enemy Armor Damage now functions in PVP: damage calculation in PvP ignores a percentage of the target’s armor equal to one third of the shooter’s Enemy Armor Damage.
- Enemy Armor Damage is now a Major bonus instead of a Minor bonus. With enemy Armor Damage now applying to PvP, this will create an interesting situation where players will have to decide between increasing their Armor or Armor Damage.
- It can now roll on Backpacks, Masks, Kneepads, Holsters and Gear Mods.
- Roll values have been lowered to compensate for the fact that it can roll on more item types.
- Rolls on existing Kneepads will be scaled to appropriate values. Note that Enemy Armor Damage will still be considered as a Minor bonus on existing Kneepads.
- Enemy Armor Damage will be removed from existing Masks and replaced with another minor bonus.
- Stagger now functions in PvP: high-stagger weapons (Shotguns and Marksman rifles primarily) will now cause the target’s aim to flinch.
- NPCs now have chances to drop crafting materials. Chances to drop higher quality increases with World Tiers.
- Season Pass Open World Supply Drops will now scale with World Tier. Opening a supply drop in World Tier 1 will reward with Gear Score 163, 182 in world tier 2, etc.
- Items in the Scavenger crate in the Base of Operations will now scale with World Tier.
- Vendors will now scale to player’s Gear Score, independently from the World Tier they’re in. This means that the Gear Score and currency value of goods they sell will adapt to the player’s Gear Score.
- We have adjusted the Credits and Phoenix Credits rewards for Main Missions, High Value Targets and Incursions to better scale with World Tier. This overall results in an increase starting from World Tier 4 and above.
- All Weapon types
- Hip fire now has stronger recoil than aiming down sights. The strength of this effect varies between weapon types. From most impacted to least impacted: Marksman Rifles, LMGs, Assault Rifles, SMGs, Shotguns, Pistols.
- Vector 45 ACP & First Wave Vector 45 ACP: base magazine size increased to 25.
- MP7: base damage increased by 16%.
- M60: base damage reduced by 3%.
- M60 & M249 now take longer to reach full accuracy when fired.
- Hungry Hog: base damage reduced by 13%, to prevent a scaling overlap with the implementation of World Tier 5.
- Lowered the strength of aim assist for Shotguns.
- Lowered the effect of accuracy on Shotguns.
- Headshot base bonus reduced from 80% to 60%.
- Showstopper: Accuracy while in cover has been reduced.
- M870: base damage reduced by 12%.
- Added 12 new weapon types. These weapon types can only be dropped in World Tier 5:
- MG5 Light Machinegun
- Infantry MG5 Light Machinegun
- Famas Assault Rifle
- Model 700 Marksman Rifle
- M700 Tactical Marksman Rifle
- M700 Carbon Marksman Rifle
- Converted USC Submachinegun
- Police UMP-45 Submachinegun
- Tactical UMP-45 Submachinegun
- Snub nosed Rhino Pistol
- Rhino Pistol
- Rhino Special Pistol
- Added 4 new High-End named weapons (available at various gear scores depending on source):
- Golden Rhino
- Urban MDR Assault Rifle
- Tommy Gun
- Thompson M1928
- Final Measure
- 4 pieces: Grenades can now be picked up every 8 seconds instead of 15 seconds.
- Hunter’s Faith
- 3 pieces: Headshot bonus reduced from 20% to 10%.
- FrontLine has been added:
- 2 pieces: +15% Protection from Elites
- 3 pieces: +30% Ballistic Shield Health
- 4 pieces: Allows using an SMG if one is equipped when Ballistic Shield is deployed. SMG Crit Chance is reduced to 0%
- All Mods (except Recon Pack): Decreased lifetime by 20% from 25 seconds to 20 seconds.
- Recon Pack:
- Increased lifetime by 14.3% from 17.5 seconds to 20 seconds.
- Decreased cooldown by 25% from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
- Tactical Scanner:
- Increased cooldown by 10% from 60 seconds to 66 seconds.
- First Aid
- Increased Ally Heal by 10% from 1500 to 1650.
- Decreased Self Heal by 10% from 1500 to 1350.
- Increased cooldown by 10% from 60 seconds to 66 seconds.
- Support Station
- All Mods (except Immunizer): Increased Lifetime by 10% from 20 seconds to 22 seconds.
- Sticky Bomb
- Base Skill and Proximity Fuse: Decreased cooldown by 10% from 90 seconds to 81 seconds.
- Decreased cooldown by 4.8% from 105 seconds to 100 seconds.
- Seeker Mine
- Decreased Bleed effect duration by 25% from 8 seconds to 6 seconds (total bleed damage is unchanged).
- Ballistic Shield
- Base Skill and all mods: NPCs will deal 10% more damage to the shield.
- Smart Cover
- All Mods (except Trapper): Decreased Skill Power impact on Damage Resistance, Weapon Stability and Weapon Accuracy buffs by 20% from 150% to 120%.
- Tactical Link
- Increased damage bonus by 16.7% from 30% to 35%.
- Increased duration by 8.3% from 12 seconds to 13 seconds.
- Survivor Link
- Increased duration by 8.3% from 12 seconds to 13 seconds.
- [PC Only] Added a radial menu for emotes.
- [PC Only] Added a new UI rendering setting that will reduce game latency at the cost of framerate.
- Fixed a bug where players could trap elite NPCs inside a spawn closet during Dragon’s Nest – Eliminate the Collective checkpoint.
- Fixed a bug where players would not be able to carry the Fuse box object if they were facing a certain angle.
- Fixed instances where players could obtain High-End items at too low levels.
- Fixed a bug where the interaction radius around the Crafting Table was too small.
- Fixed a bug where weapon talents that would buff the player would be purged after switching weapons.
- Fixed a bug where the Medved and Warlord High-End weapons would drop at 163 Gear Score in Incursions at any World Tier.
- Fixed a bug where swapping out the 4th piece of a gear set with one of the same type would disable the 4-piece set bonus. This affected Tactician’s Authority, Sentry’s Call and Striker gear sets.
- Fixed a bug where Wildfire, Shrapnel and Fear Tactics would not apply their effects to nearby enemy targets.
- Fixed a bug where players would not be able to use Recovery Link signature skill while aiming another skill.
- Fixed a bug where the Recovery Link would not automatically trigger if the player took fatal damage while aiming down sights.
- Fixed a bug where weapon talents would not activate if the player had fulfilled exactly the required stat value.
- Fixed a bug where equipping a weapon directly from dropped loot would replace the players current weapon instead of an empty slot.
- Fixed a bug where sometimes looted containers and props would still be highlighted as loot-able in the game world.
- Fixed a bug where recalibrating Enemy Armor Damage stat would not use the correct values at 163 Gear Score.
- Fixed a replication issue that occurred when the player was performing a two-hand vault over an obstacle in the game world.
- Fixed instances where the Fuse box objects would not replicate correctly when players would leave the mission instance.
- Fixed game framerate while inside any inventory that has a large number of items.
- Fixed a bug where the Signature Skill icon would not disappear when “auto-hide HUD” option was enabled.
- Fixed a bug where players could not scroll an item description during item compare, in certain conditions.
- Fixed a bug where the UI would not show the new item notification when a skill mod was unlocked due to a Base of Operation upgrade.
- Fixed a bug where the Automatch megamap screen inside Underground mode would display activities that were not available for matchmaking.
- Fixed a bug where the player’s health bar would overlap the Gear Score value while the Stash is open.
- Fixed a bug where some vendors in the Base of Operations were not displayed on the megamap or the minimap.
- Fixed a weird door.
PC Specific [PC only]
- Fixed a bug where the first keyboard tap to deploy a skill would not register immediately after the skill was equipped or came off cooldown.
- Fixed a bug where the player would not be able to shoot for several seconds after having thrown a skill or a grenade.
- Fixed a bug where players would get unmuted after being killed in the Dark Zone.
- Fixed a bug where the World Bracket UI was not affected by the HUD eye focus for the Tobii Eye Tracker.
- Fixed a bug where players could still interact with the crafting table even though they received an “inventory is full” notification.
- Fixed a bug where window size would not actually change when switching the video settings to windowed mode.
Sounds like masochistic fun! Thoughts on the new expansion and the challenge of surviving in a harsh environment? Sound off in the comments!
Visit The Division Wiki
More on The Division