Warner Bros. and Monolith have revealed some new info regarding Middle-earth: Shadow of War’s economy, specifically microtransactions. The game’s microtransactions will be available in an online store called the Market.
Shadow of War Microtransactions Revealed and Detailed
Players will be able to acquire the following items from the Market:
- Loot Chests: contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
- War Chests: provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
- XP Boosts: consumables that help level up Talion faster.
- Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together.
In-game Currency: Mirian & Gold
You’ll need to be connected to the internet to access the Market. To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:
- Defeating Treasure Orcs
- Destroying Gear for Mirian
- Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
- Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:
- Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
- Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
- Awarded for participating in community challenges.
No content in the game is gated by Gold and everything in the Market can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay. Monolith took pains to note that purchasing gold only saves time and any players progressing through the game can acquire the gear that they need on their own. No pricing for the gold or microtransactions has been revealed yet.
Shadow of War is set to release on October 10th for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. Thoughts on the microtransactions? Sound off in the comments.
More 0n Shadow of War