Fromsoftware has partnered up with Activition Blizzard to deliver a whole new IP: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. It is now confirmed the hyped-up tagline is not Bloodborne 2, nor is it any of the previously speculated FromSoftware titles. You can expect more information from the E3 2018 floor and from a closed-door and embargoed demo that was shared with press on Sunday, but for now these details may quench your thirst for knowledge! You will possibly see a bit more before the embargo lifts on Tuesday.
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice by Miyazaki
The game is directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, and qualified as a third-person “action-adventure game with RPG elements“. The game’s protagonist plays the role of a hard-hearted warrior on a quest to rescue his young lord and who seeks revenge. His name is “Sekiro” or “One-Armed Wolf”. The game is set in Sengoku Japan – much as Nioh was, so you might want to brush up on your Sekigahara history or related lore.
Combat promises to deliver many different ways to engage in each scenario, and is being touted as the cornerstone of the game. The addition of vertical traversal options brings a new perspective for FromSoftware’s fans to enjoy as they can now gain access to higher vantage points than they might be used to.
“Collaborating with Activision on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has been a very exciting experience for us,” said Hidetaka Miyazaki, president and game director at FromSoftware. “With Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice many FromSoftware team members, including myself, are thrilled to be exploring themes of Sengoku Japan and ninja for the first time. We can’t wait for everyone to discover what’s in store for the game.”
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Factsheet
- In Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice you are the “one-armed wolf”, a disgraced and disfigured warrior rescued from the brink of death. Bound to protect a young lord who is the descendant of an ancient bloodline, you become the target of many vicious enemies, including the dangerous Ashina clan. When the young lord is captured, nothing will stop you on a perilous quest to regain your honor, not even death itself.
- Explore late 1500s Sengoku Japan, a brutal period of constant life and death conflict, as you come face to face with larger than life foes in a dark and twisted world. Unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities while you blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head to head combat in a bloody confrontation.
- It is still unconfirmed whether the game will feature multiplayer, but as of right now the Japanese site specs lists the game as 1 player
- Questions about Character Creation are pending
- The game has a variety of weapons besides what was shown in the trailer
- The game has stealth as a mechanic
- The doors open just like souls! (ok maybe that isn’t very important)
- The game is developed by FromSoftware and published by Activision, breaking with Bandai Namco and FromSoftware
- The game will release on PS4, Xbox One and PC in 2019, and is already available for preorder
Translations of Japanese Site Content
“Sekiwan no Ro, Sengoku ni Shinobu” – One-armed Worf, Endure/Enter the Sengoku
The time is Sengoku
Beyond the peaks of deep snow, lies the land of Ashina
[Holy Sword] Ashina Isshin, who in but a generation conquered the realm and begun the country in
the Northern Regions
But that Ashina is now in mortal danger
Isshin’s grandson, and Ashina’s Commander, despairing at their plight secretly told the allies
“There are no usual means left by which to protect Ashina”
“This right here is when we need that prince”
And thus the prince is kidnapped
And a prince he is in name only, without a family or vassals,
but for one single ninja.
This is a tale of stranding,
loneliness between Lord and Retainer.
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Gallery
Excited for FromSoftware content? Check out our Demon’s Souls rumor theories, 10 Changes we Want for the next souls, and our Dark Souls Remastered Review. You might also want to go check out the Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Announcement Trailer.
This post is also available in: Français