Last updated on October 22nd, 2018
And so.. I dig for perfection…
Most Bloodborne players, unfortunately, won’t get far in chalices to locate all the great gems; they won’t even spend the time to figure out where they are located. Pure_Souls has been recently attempting to spread the gem knowledge to the masses. Players may also be overlooking certain gems that are out there. The gems I have seen people fail to notice are the hybrid gems, half cursed gems and halved cursed gems. These gems are dropped by certain enemies and offer additional ways to customize your builds.
These gems’ primary effect is the same as the secondary, i.e, 24.8% fire add 15 fire. These gems will be outmatched by their stronger counterparts on most builds since most players are usually higher leveled, specifically 100+. For arcane builds, these gems will come in handy since the 27.2 element gems are highly time consuming to obtain and at lower levels, these hybrid gems will be a great substitute as you’re only losing 1-2 points of Attack Rating (AR)
The bosses that are able to drop these hybrids gems are:
- Pthumerian Descendant (Tempering 24.8%, add physical)
- Beast Possessed Soul (Tempering 23.9% add phys atk; Fire 23.9% add fire)
- Headed Bloodletting Beast (Tempering 24.8% add phys atk) Abyssal
- Headless Bloodletting Beast (Heavy 24.8% STR scaling, add phys)
- Firedog [Only in Loran, not Ihyll] (Fire Abyssal 24.8%, add 15 fire) Abyssal
- Brainsucker (9.8%arcane add 72.5 flat arcane)
- Loran DarkBeast (24.8% Bolt, add 15 bolt) Abyssal
- SilverBeast Tempering/Fire/Bolt Damage type +23.9% add Tempering/Fire/Bolt respectively)
- Abhorrent Beast (22.5% add 32.6 bolt) Abyssal
- BloodStarved Beast (28.7% Blood Atk, add blood atk)[Great substitute if you don’t wish to farm bloodsuckers or if you are using shotguns]
- Cannon giant, Dual Sickle Giant, Ball and Chain Giant (Adept/Heavy 28.7 SKL/STR, add phys)
- Keeper of the Old Lords (Adept/Heavy 28.7 SKL/STR, add phys)
- Merciless Watchers (Only 1 effect)
- Pthumerian Elder (No arcane scaling as secondary nor add arcane)
- Amygdala (No add physical as a secondary effect mostly add fire or bolt)
- Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos (No add arcane as secondary effect)
- Maneater Boar (Only 1 effect)
- Celestial Emissary (No add arcane as secondary effect)
In the chalices, there are 2 enemies (1 boss and 1 regular enemy) who drop gems that the secondary effect will be doubled. These gems are very valuable since they will outclass other gems.
Bosses/Enemies who drop Hybrids and Doubled secondary effect gems
Bosses who drop 1/2 cursed effects gems are:
- Pthumerian Elder
- Celestial Emissary
- Rom [This boss should always be skipped as her gem is trash compared to the gargoyles’ gem drop]
P.S Don’t forget about the Loran Cleric, he drops 9.8% fire add 67.5 fire, the fire equivalent of flat arcane. This gem will be good for players who are unable to down the Firedog.
For a complete spreadsheet we compiled with all the glyphs and our findings just click here. We took a lot of time researching all of this in the hopes that players can benefit from focused farming. Chalice dungeons can be a confusing land for people to tackle and the fact that they hold the key to powerful gems make them something players shouldn’t miss!
Visit the Bloodborne Wiki