Last updated on July 24th, 2017
A detailed guide on how to clear the Ring of Lightning wing of the Tower of Orthanc Raid in Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO). This guide was written when the content was endgame so it assumes players are on level with the raid – it may be easier as years progresses and classes change, but at the time it was very hard!
LOTRO Ring of Lightning Guide
Tier II Challenge clear
Trash pull 1 Guide
- Mobs: 1 Taskmaster, 2 Trolls, 3 Hawlers
- Kill Order: Taskmaster > Hawlers > Trolls
- CC adaptation:: None, however trolls will wake up about 1 and a half minutes into fight and do a grown pound that does considerable damage if the taskmaster buffs are on
- Misc: Disease pots must be taken immediately to avoid nasty slow clouds. Rampaging “background” haulers have a rend aura: tanks and squishies beware. Taskmasters call out small claws to burrow and spawn on someone. Stay near the tank.
Trash pull 2 Guide
- Mobs: 3 Taskmasters, 1 Troll, 3 Haulers
- Kill Order: Taskmasters > Hawlers > Trolls
- CC adaptation: Two of the taskmasters will be mezzed while we kill the other one. They have adaptation so entrusting a Loremaster with them is the safest bet. The Troll will do the cavein as well.
- Misc: The room is small so the tank must take care to move the DPS target out of healing puddles. Disease pots must be taken immediately to avoid nasty slow clouds. Rampaging “background” haulers have a rend aura: tanks and squishies beware. Taskmasters call out small claws to burrow and spawn on someone. Stay near the tank.
Trash pull 3 Guide
- Mobs: 3 Taskmasters, 2 Trolls, 3 Haulers
- Kill Order: Taskmasters > 1 Troll > 3 Haulers > Last Troll
- CC adaptation: The room is large so the group must take care to move with the tank to save DPS time and avoid small claws spawning out of taunt reach. Disease pots must be taken immediately to avoid nasty slow clouds. Rampaging “background” haulers have a rend aura: tanks and squishies beware. Taskmasters call out small claws to burrow and spawn on someone. Stay near the tank.
How to defeat Kalbak – LOTRO Raid Boss Guide
Tier I Guide
In tier 1 Ring of Lightning, Kalbak is simple boss once the shock and steam debuffs are understood. The boss will put a shock debuff on melee around him that makes them susceptible to lightning damage as they get hit. This debuff tiers down if you are not hit by the boss. He will also commence a “steam” effect that increases the damage taken by the entire raid, whilst also increasing their dps output.
The key to this fight is to control boss aggro between two tanks as their debuffs become unmanageable, and control melee dps so that the adds called forth by the boss on the command “storms come” explode near everyone in the raid. This will produce distributed damage and as such it is important to be grouped up.
Video of a clear below:
Tier II & Challenge Guide
Kalbak is very different on its T2 mode in the Ring of Lightning. You should install the Alterer Plugin to make it easier. The raid will start grouped up in a position and the tank will taunt and move the boss to a corner to commence DPS. Everyone in raid will follow the assigned group up target (ranged dps as well) and stay right behind the boss.
- The tanks will communicate about their Shock debuff (tooltip effect by mousing over + H) and take aggro from each other everytime their shock reaches tier 8 or so.
- The raid will stand on the marker behind the boss and move away as the floor saturates with lightning. It is crucial to stay grouped up. Ranged DPS is most useful on this fight, as well as Loremaster and Burglar debuffs.
- Kalbak will call “Storms Come”, this is a sign for a lightning ball to come and explode doing distribute damage on the raid. Group up
- After lowering boss health to 1 million HP, a callout “Shock [player name]” will appear. You have about 2 seconds to run away from the group or you will create a chain of lightning that will kill everyone.
- After lowering boss health to 500k HP, a new callout “Lightning Shatter” will create a cross-like AOE shock.
- Near the end of the Fight, there will be nowhere for the raid to reposition to. Last Stand & In Harms Way should be used here.
Some of this is common to the Tower of Orthanc raid and not this specific wing. Worn Symbol of the Elder King
[Book of Techniques Recipe]
[Combat Shield Recipe]
[Jewelled Cuff Recipe]
Some of this is common to the Tower of Orthanc raid and not this specific wing.
Worn Symbol of the Elder King
A video of a clear below
Go to the other Tower of Orthanc wings: