On March 8th the newest update for the PlayStation 4 became available for all. I’ve been personally using system 5.00 since about a month ago and it finally feels good to talk about the new features.
System Update Contents
Parents, guardians, and “family manager” can now monitor their children’s play time and set limits on them if needed. These limits can include:
- how long the child can play per day
- set playable hours in order to negate late night play
- each day can be set uniquely from others
When set time has expired, a pop up will alert the user and if parents wish the system can automatically log them out.
Parents can manage the child’s play time anytime from their PC by visiting playstation.com/acct/family or via smartphone by using the PlayStation App.
The Library now has a PS Plus tab to better show users which games derived from the Playstation Plus monthly free games. When a player’s PS Plus runs out, a locked PS Plus icon will appear on those game to differentiate them from other games. Renewing the Playstation Plus subscription will once again allow those games to be played. Virtual Reality games can be found marked with PS VR.
‘This PS4’ and Name/Avatar tab
In addition to the PS Plus Tab, in this update “This PS4” and “Name/Avatar” have been added. “This PS4” tab will list all applications that are installed on the PS4 at hand. For those with several users sharing their PS4 they can use the “Name/Avatar” tab to find their applications that were purchased under their name. They can also use this feature to search for games they have already purchased but haven’t installed yet.
Users can hide certain applications like betas, trials, or demos of games under the ‘Purchased’ tab in the Library.
Users can import their own images via a USB stick to use their images as custom wallpapers or logos on the PS4. They are able to zoom, crop, and preview them to make them perfect. Custom images can be used for the following:
- Team logo
- Team cover image
- Background image for the home screen
- Image for the message group
Users can enable supersampling mode to improve the image quality in some video games when the PS4 pro us connected to a 2k resolution or lower television. Performance will vary.
Quick Menu & Other Changes
- Online friends have been changed to friends on the quick menu.
- Music playback functions on the quick menu have been improved.
- Events can be created from the team profile screen.
- Users can delete notifications by bringing up the notifications list hitting options then selecting delete.
- Users can now choose who can view the list of players they follow and who can view the list of your followers separately.
So, I hope that you liked this article. If so, you should also read PlayStation 3 & PlayStation Vita to be dropped from PS Plus in 2019. You may also want to read Bloodborne FREE with PS Plus in March.