In this Pathfinder Kingmaker Guide we will take a look at Regongar. He starts off as Eldritch Scion Magus but in this “how to” we are going to dip into multiclassing just a bit. With this build Regongar will become a force to be reckoned with as a melee combatant, equivalent of a Battlemage, by using a combination of weapons and spells.
Pathfinder Kingmaker Builds – Regongar The Dragon
In this Build we will Multiclass Magus and the Dragon Disciple Prestige Class. Regongar can be great as a Magus single class only, however, 4 levels in Dragon Disciple gives him +2 to AC and +4 to STR, which is a pretty damn good boost to his Attributes. If you want you can add 1 Rogue rank to get Sneak Attack and Accomplished Sneak Attacker, but should you do this the Counterstrike Magus Feat will be unattainable.
With 16 levels in Magus and 4 levels in Dragon Disciple, Regongar will get these Feats and abilities automatically:
- Spell Combat: With a 1 handed weapon equipped, and your off hand free, you can cast a spell and do a melee attack as a full round action (the same as two weapon fighting).
- Eldritch Pool: Enables additional abilities that modify wielded weapon. The amount of times you can use these abilities per day depends on magus level and CHA modifier.
- Grow Claws: Summon Claw Weapons that work as two weapon fighting with additional bonuses at higher levels.
- Spellstrike: Free melee attack whenever melee touch spell is cast.
- Dragon Resistances: Adds Natural Armor bonus to AC and increases Electricity Resistance.
- Arcane Medium Armor: Gain Medium Armor Proficiency and removes Arcane Spell Failure when wearing it.
- Arcane Heavy Armor: Gain Heavy Armor Proficiency and removes Arcane Spell Failure when wearing it.
- Arcane Weapon: Adds enhancement bonus to wielded weapon that stacks with existing weapon enhancements up to +5.
- Draconic Bloodline Arcana Blue: Add +1 to damage with electricity attacks for every die rolled.
- Dragon Bite: Adds free natural attack per round that scales with STR. It should work only when Grow Claws is active but it also seem to occur without it.
- Breath Weapon: Regongar can use an electrical line attack with this ability that does a significant amount of damage.
Attributes & Skills
Regongar starts off with odd STR and DEX , so putting 1 point into each is highly recommended as soon as possible. After that 2 points should go into CHA to increase the effectiveness of his spells and increase number of casts. The last point can go into STR to decrease Encumbrance further, as he will be wearing Heavy Armor by the end of the game.
To unlock Dragon Disciple at level 5 we need 5 points in Knowledge (Arcana), so that is a priority number 1 when it comes to Skills. After that Use Magic Device becomes the focus skill, in order to use various scrolls and wands when available. Persuasion is also a natural choice, due to the high amount of Charisma Regongar has.
Next to normal Feats, Regongar receives Magus Arcana Abilities that can modify his weapon in many ways. It is up to you which Magus Arcana Abilities you want to use, just make sure you take (later on in the game) at least one Metamagic to increase damage done by melee touch spells, since they are all low level.
Here are important normal feats you should choose for this build:
- Point Blank Shot
- Combat Casting
- Weapon Focus
- Weapon Specialization
- Improved Critical (does not stack with Keen)
- Precise Strike
- Critical Focus
- Metamagic (Empower)
- Metamagic (Maximize)
- Heavy Armor Focus (later when Arcane Heavy Armor feat is unlocked)
Spells & Gear
Melee touch spells are the most important Spells because of the Spellstrike ability. There aren’t many to choose from, but the ones that are there will be a nice bonus to damage, especially during the early going of the game. Using Metamagic, we can make melee touch spells more dangerous, and there will be more in total at your disposal thanks to it.
Besides the melee touch spells, other damaging spells (especially electric ones) should be chosen because you can cast spells that require 1 standard action, and still do a melee attack in one round thanks to Spell Combat.
Here are some spells I chose for this build:
- Shocking Grasp (melee touch)
- Corrosive Touch (melee touch)
- Frigid Touch (melee touch)
- Vampiric Touch (melee touch)
- Mirror Image
- Bull’s Strength
- Scorching Ray
- Lightning Bolt
- Dragon’s Breath
- Controlled Fireball
- Ice Storm
- Vampiric Shadow Shield
- Cone of Cold
- Fire Snake
- Acidic Spray
- Chain Lightning
- Heroism Greater
- Cold Ice Strike
- Elemental Assessor
Regongar can continue using a Scimitar as his main weapon, since it is good on its own, while his off hand should remain free to benefit from Magus special abilities. With Improved Critical and Critical Focus Scimitar he will Crit often, resulting in increased DPS. Regongar should use all 3 types of armor, starting with Light Armor. When you get to Arcane Medium Armor switch to Medium, and finally to Heavy upon reaching Arcane Heavy Armor.
No matter if you level Regongar as Magus only, or multiclass with Dragon Disciple, he plays much the same way. First buff him with spells such as Bull’s Strength, Heroism, Mirror Image, and Haste. Afterwards activate Arcane Weapon Enchantment, elemental damage bonus, and any other weapon ability that would work in that specific situation.
Spell Combat lets you use spells and melee attacks in the same round, while Spellstrike lets you you attack twice at once if a melee touch spell has been cast. Cast spells and put Regongar in melee range. He should be alright, especially later on when Arcane Heavy Armor feat has been obtained. And of course, let us not forget that Regongar can turn into a dragon as well. Dragons are powerful and have a Breath Weapon attack on their own.
More Pathfinder Kingmaker content is coming soon, including Class and Build Guides, so stay tune! You may be interested to read our Tower Shield Tank Valerie Build Guide, Jaethal Grim Reaper Build Guide, Octavia Arcane Trickster Build Guide, Amiri Barbarian Build Guide, Ekundayo Ranger Build Guide, Linzi the Bard and our Beginner’s Guide. In the meantime you can check out the wiki for all your Pathfinder needs.