Last updated on December 10th, 2018
In this Pathfinder Kingmaker Guide we will take a look at Linzi. Linzi starts off as Bard and this Build will follow the Bard path, however, she can also be efficiently multiclassed into Dragon Disciple. Bards are the best support Class in Pathfinder Kingmaker, making them very valuable in every party setup. Linzi is never going to be the best damage dealer, but what she lacks in DPS, she makes up for in support.
Pathfinder Kingmaker Builds – Linzi the Bard
In this build I will Multiclass Linzi with 2 levels into the Freebooter Ranger subclass, which is completely optional. By doing this we gain Martial Weapons Proficiency, the Combat Style Feat and Freebooter’s Bane , which is a fantastic support ability that marks an enemy giving the whole party +1 to attack and damage rolls against that enemy until it is dead. All other levels go into Bard where we get some amazing Songs and Spells.
Bards get these Feats and Abilities automatically:
- Bard Proficiencies: The most notable benefit here is that Bards do not get Arcane Spell Failure from wearing Light Armor or a Shield.
- Bard Knowledge: Adds half of Bards’ level to Knowledge and Lore checks.
- Well-Versed: Bard becomes naturally resistant to performances of other Bards.
- Jack of All Trades: +1 bonus on all Skill Checks
- Inspire Courage (Song): Bonus to saving throws against Charm and Fear, as well as Bonus to Weapon and Damage to allies.
- Inspire Competence (Song): Bonus to allies on all Skill Checks. This is best used outside of combat.
- Fascinate (Song): Fascinates enemies upon failed Will saving throw. Fascinated enemies stand still and do nothing.
- Dirge of Doom (Song): Puts Shaken condition on all enemies within 30 feet.
- Inspire Greatness (Song): Adds competence bonus on atack rolls, Fortitude Saves, bonus to Hit Dice and Health Points.
- Soothing Performance (Song): Equivalent to Mass Cure Serious Wounds and it removes Fatigued, Shaken and Sickened conditions.
- Frightening Tune (Song): Causes Fear to enemies.
- Inspire Heroics (Song): Gives allies +4 morale bonus on saving throws and +4 dodge bonus to AC.
- Bardic Performance (Move Action): Start Songs as part of Move instead of Standard Action.
- Bardic Performance (Swift Action): Start Songs as part of Swift Action which means you can still make Standard and Move action in the same round.
Charisma is the most important attribute for a Bard because it gives them additional Spells per day, and it increases spell DC (difficulty) so all additional attribute points should be put there. We want as many spells as possible to be able to sustain support for more fights without the need for resting.
Although Linzi is primarily support, she can dish out some damage with a Bow thanks to some feats and abilities, and that is what we are going to focus the most when choosing feats. Spell Focus is important for Enchantment and Conjuration (Summoner) for Linzi so make sure you have corresponding feat. Spell Focus (Conjuration) is a prerequisite for Augmented Summoning, which upgrades stats of summoned creatures, and Augmented Summoning is a prerequisite for Superior Summoning, which gives you +1 summon every time you summon more than one creature.
- Weapon Focus (Longbow)
- Improved Critical (Longbow)
- Rapid Shot
- Precise Shot
- Point Blank Shot
- Arcane Strike
- Clustered Shots
- Deadly Aim
- Spell Focus & Greater Spell Focus Enchantment
- Lingering Performance
- Extra Performance
Although Deadly Aim can add a decent amount of damage, Linzi can struggle a lot to hit with it even with all the buffs. When fighting enemies with high AC switch Deadly Aim off. Other Feats increase the damage enough already so in some cases it is all about hitting the opponent.
Spell choices revolve mostly around 2 schools, Enchantment or Conjuration, and focusing on only one of these 2 schools is a wise choice since selection is limited. Enchantment School focuses on controlling enemies and the Conjuration School focuses on summoning monsters and elementals. Regardless of the School you wish to use, spells like Haste, Slow, Cat’s Grace, Dispel, Sense Vitals, Heroism and Cure Wounds are a must. If you plan on going down the summoning route, the only spells you are interested in (apart from those just mentioned) are Summon Monsters and Summon Elementals. They both can be summoned at the same time.
If you’re going down the Enchantment route, things aren’t quite as simple, but the following are some good suggestions from the Enchantment school:
- Hideous Laughter
- Cacophonous Call (Mass)
- Dominate Person
- Mind Fog
- Song of Discord
- Overwhelming Presence
Mind Fog is fantastic for destroying enemy Will, making them easy targets for crowd control Enchantment spells.
Longbow is our weapon of choice for this build. Light Crossbow is also an option, but the Manyshot Feat does not work with Crossbows so if you plan on focusing Crossbows you should not take Manyshot feat. If you didn’t multiclass into Ranger, then you need Martial Weapon Proficiency feat to wield Longbow. Light Armor with highest AC possible is the best choice here since Bards do not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure when wearing it. For accessories I would recommend something that adds a bit of STR to decrease Encumbrance.
Linzi is played best from the backline buffing allies, controlling enemies, and summoning creatures to fight for you. Cat’s Grace, Heroism, Haste and Sense Vitals are must have buffing spells before most fights, because they are very powerful (with Sense Vitals you add Sneak Attack to damage when it can apply). Also if Summoning is your focus it would be wise to summon before the fight since it takes a bit of time to cast these spells.
As soon as the combat starts the Song of your choice needs to activated, but after that it’s up to you what you want to focus on. Controlling enemies, resummoning, shooting… Just do not forget to put Freebooter’s Bane on one enemy at a time!
That is it for Linzi; an effective build that every party would want to have. Thank you for reading and enjoy!
More Pathfinder Kingmaker content is coming soon, including Class and Build Guides, so stay tune! You may be interested to read our Tower Shield Tank Valerie Build Guide, Jaethal Grim Reaper Build Guide, Octavia Arcane Trickster Build Guide, Amiri Barbarian Build Guide, Ekundayo Ranger Build Guide and our Beginner’s Guide. In the meantime you can check out the wiki for all your Pathfinder needs.