Pasta with Passata and Pork belly
By November 8, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Something i made with what was in the fridge, shelves and garden. I'm not sure what you'd call the pork belly, we call them streaky rashers, thin strips of pork belly, not as salty as regular bacon. If stuck you can chuck in chorizo or salami. I'm sure there's a name for this, anyone knows it, say so. Two thing on the pic, presentation is not my forte and yes i know it's penne pasta but it's only thing i could get in wholewheat (pre xmas dieting).
- 10-12 slices pork belly\streaky rashers
- 300 grams pasta shells or sconcigli
- 1 Chicken Stock cube
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 300 ml passata or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic solo finally chopped or cruhed
- 1/4 cup bacon lardons
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Cayenne Pepper finely chopped, deseeded if you don't like heat
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 dried chillis chopped optional, heat good
- 1 bunch coriander\cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- Grill your sliced pork belly to your preferred crunchyness. When finished leave to the side.
- In a pot of boiling water, add oil, sea salt and stock cube. Let the cube dissolve then add your pasta. Check after 5 mins, if it's soft enough, take off the hob, drain and leave it in the pot for later.
- In a small pot heat some oil and add your lardons, cook for 1 minute then add the cayenne pepper, garlic and onion, cook until onions are golden. Add your passata, after a minute turn down your heat and add in your dried chilli's and basil. Stir through and bring to a low heat.
- Stir in your pork belly slices. Add your coriander\chilantro and stir in the cream. Take off the heat and let it cool for a min.
- Pour the passata\pork Belly over the pasta and stir it thoroughly, coating all of the pasta. I'd advise letting it cool, as it's at its best when luke warm.