Last updated on April 14th, 2018
French Alps take on Cheese and Bacon Bread
Makes for excellent snack or sandwich bread
Pain de Savoie
By August 26, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 loaf (14 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 45 mins
- 400 grams Strong White Bread Flour
- 100 grams Rye Flour
- 10 grams Salt
- 8 grams Fast-action Dried Yeast
- 20 ml Olive Oil
- 330 ml Cool Water
- 150 grams Lardons or chopped thick Bacon
- 200 grams Comte Cheese in 1cm Cubes
- 20 cm Springform Cake Tin
- In a large Bowl, mix both flours and add yeast and salt (not on top of each other, direct contact with salt will kill yeast). When mixed, add in olive oil and about 2/3 of the water, and mix with your fingers or a spoon. Your objective is a soft dough, add the rest of the water as needed (may not use it all)
Oil a work surface and tip dough onto it. Knead for five to 10 minutes using this method: →
You will produce a smooth and elastic dough (and sore arms) to which you will add the cooled lardons before shaping it into a ball and placing it in a lightly oiled bowl to be covered and rest at room temperature for at least two hours.
*2 Hour Wait*
- After the rise, tip dough onto a flour dusted surface and divide into 3 equal parts. Knock the air out of the dough with your palms and fold the dough onto itself several times to create strength and resistance. When done, form them into balls.
- Oil your cake tin. Pick one of your dough balls and roll it out into a circle shape of about the size of your tin, should be a little over 1.5cm thick. Place this dough layer at the bottom of the tin, then place half of your cheese cubes on top of it. Roll out another ball and create a second layer, and place the rest of the cheese on top of it. Use the third rolled out dough to cover as the last layer and dust with some flour.
Now place it inside a big plastic bag, and let stand for an hour
*1 Hour wait* - Heat your oven to 220°C
- Place the loaf in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. After its baked, leave it in tin for at least 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool.