Evodant Interactive have launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter for their bio-steampunk action RPG, Gyre: Nova State. It features an “unscripted, dynamically crafted story that responds to your style of play.”
Gyre: Nova State crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter
In this game, your character is an android forging your own unique story inside a world in conflict. The story is unscripted – crafted in real-time with consequences to your actions. What they’re hoping to do is release a video-game which is closer to the experience of tabletop RPGs. It’ll be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
The campaign is currently sitting at around $6900 raised, with a target of $194,951.81, so with 14 days left to go, they need all the help they can get.
Here’s Gyre: Nova State‘s Kickstarter trailer:
Game features info taken from the official press release
– Beautifully Crafted World – a dystopian, bio-steampunk alt-history world that departs from the revolutions of the mid-1800s. Fast forward to a populace that has cast aside flesh in favour of metallic, android forms. Mutated plant and animal life punctuate the philosophical themes of society vs nature along with questions on transhumanism.
– A Unique, Personal Narrative – an epic, open story with a cast of characters generated in real-time or pulled from the Gyre Foundry; a storehouse of player characters and NPCs that are shared among all stories by all players. Dialogue is partially generated through natural language generation techniques so the story can advance in the correct context.
– Massive Replayability – your choices actually make a difference with a story that adapts all the way through to the end. No story is the same as Toska watches not just the characters and world events but also how the player approaches gameplay and their style of play.
– Procedural Crafting – Gyre: Nova State offers more than just “random” attributes stacked on to an item of a different colour. Crafting is deep, with the ability to build thousands of combinations of weapons, items and apparel from multiple parts that make sense.
– Play Your Way – players can crush their enemies through combat via melee, ranged and psionic weapons. They can resolve their challenges through stealth gameplay. Finally, they can choose diplomacy to achieve grand schemes, for good or ill. On top of all that are seven skill trees accessible to all character classes that enhance each style of play in different ways.
Who are Evodant Interactive?
Evodant is an indie games company which was founded by Dwayne Rudy. Here’s his explanation of what inspired Evodant:
“For years, I kept seeing the same RPG systems and stories-on-rails in video games. The idea I had over a decade ago was to bring the open-ended story and play from table-top RPGs into the digital realm. It’s been a long road and I’m so excited that it’s finally coming alive. With Toska’s unique hybrid cognitive model, I can’t wait to see how each individual player’s story evolves and the kinds of characters that get created.” – Dwayne Rudy, Evodant founder.
Joining Dwayne Rudy are ex-BioWare designer and producer Rob Bartel, veteran art director Tom Zuber, audio lead Andrew Yankiwski and creative director and inventor of Toska. So although it’s a pretty new company, there’s still a number of experienced game makers involved.
Although the developers are primarily targeting a PC release of the game, they have also said they’ve had their eyes on doing a console version. However, the console versions would require extra funding. So if you want a console version, you know what to do.
Want more indie gaming news? If so, you could read InXile targeting a Q3 launch for The Bard’s Tale 4. Alternatively, you could read 3Mind Games announces The Protagonist.