Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

T-King-667

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 842.00
Long as F- post incoming.

TLDR: How would you guys feel about being able to bring souls and bones you find back to a saint/priest in firelink/hub to bring that person back as an NPC? Which can be used as a follower or scavenger. The strength and cost of the NPC resurrected would be based on what kind of soul you're using. So a soul of a hero would bring back a warrior with high tier stats/equipment while a Fading soul would bring back a peasant wearing rags that struggles to wield a dinner fork. Each follower would take up a MP slot so you can't have 3 phantoms and an army of summoned followers. Followers can also be upgraded up to a certain point (Obviously they would Cap) So if you brought the raggedy peasant with you enough and they survived enough battles (Once they die they stay dead) They will start buying their own armor and leveling up on their own.

So that was the short basic rundown of my batcrazy idea that I'm sure most don't agree with. Here's the long drawn out edition of it...

I'm referring to the souls such as Fading soul, soul of a hero, soul of a unknown traveler and so on, not boss souls. But something I always thought about and enjoyed the idea of was somehow bringing consumable souls and their bones to a priest/mage in the hub area (Like Firelink shrine) and resurrecting them back to who they were before death. Doing so would bring back an NPC depicting the name of the soul itself. So if you brought back a near valueless fading soul you would probably resurrect a barely clothed beggar that has very little in the way of combat experience or abilities at all. While resurrecting a hero would bring back an NPC that has High tier equipment and stats. The balancing part here is that resurrecting one would cost several times the worth of the soul's original value. If you have no interest at all in bringing them back then consuming the soul will always be more beneficial to you. So resurrecting a fading soul would cost 500 and a hero would cost 100,000 (Just an example) And since these are resurrected souls they won't be undead. Meaning if they were to die in the hub area or in battle then they're dead for good. So it would be wise not to just throw them into suicidal battles.

You can only have up to 2 of them with you and they will fill the co-op slots (Unless if dried finger is used then you can bring in one player) Since they aren't undead they will not have estus and need to rely on either miracles (From you, another resurrectee, themselves or another player) or by consuming items.

-What you can do with them-

In the hub area, everyone you resurrect can be found wondering the halls but you can only have so many there at a time (Having a bajillion people walking around would be a mess, so probably a max of 5 or so before getting a message that you can't bring anymore?) When you speak to them you have the option to simply chat with them or to recruit them. Recruiting them will keep them with you until you send them home or until they perish and since you initially brought them back to life they will be in your debt and always willing to come with you. You gave the beggar a purpose and hope while you gave a hero a second chance to slay the evil of the world; everyone you resurrect would have their reason to fight alongside you.

Talking to them would reveal a bit of their backstory and may even reveal clues and secrets. For example: If you found a soul of a knight at the base of a dragons nest and resurrected him before progressing that area he/she will tell you what they tried to do which would give you more insight on what works and what doesn't when it comes to the dragon. If you bring them with you and successfully slay the dragon then they'll have additional dialogue about it. I think small things like that would be pretty cool.

You can also send them out to scavenge which runs the risk of them dying but if they survive they will return with resources for you (Probably tell them what to prioritize) But they can also gain experience and resources for themselves from killing enemies while out and about so they have a means of getting better without you always needing to drag them around, yourself. (More about their progression, below)

-How they progress-

So if you were to bring a low level beggar with you and they helped you kill several enemies without dying and you send them back to firelink the next time you see them they may have cheap armor and a short sword. The experience and resources they got from helping you allowed them to purchase/wield some equipment from firelink's blacksmith and merchant. But they will only get substantial experience and resources from helping you kill higher/same level enemies than/as themselves. So you can't just sit around a beginning area and quickly grind them to god tier. But you also can't bring them to an endgame area and kill god enemies to max them out quickly like it's Pokemon. The experience they get is based on the enemies level and how much damage they did to them. So a beggar doing 2 damage to end game enemies isn't going to make them gods the next time you see them in firelink.

They can also invest in Magic/Miracles/Pyros if they so choose. Since they were a beggar at lvl 1 they will take whatever path that interests them upon gaining experience. While a knight you resurrected would likely keep progressing on the path of melee/solid armor and some miracles. While a hero would progress very little since they are as maxed as they can be and are already very proficient in whatever path they chose before death (Hero's can be mages, clerics, pyros, melee or even mixed)

-Conclusion-

I have a million more things I can add to this but I feel that I've more than enough info here to give a basic understanding of it. I know that most don't care much for NPC summons and would much prefer to just co-op if they needed help but I feel as something optional like this wouldn't hurt the experience and could add a lot of depth and replay value. Bringing a beggar from a lvl1 miserable powerless individual to a lvl 10 squire to your lvl 100 right hand man/woman that's like some Pokemon **** right there. Especially for areas where there isn't many players co-oping *Cough*Consumed King*Cough* Especially when players don't like co-oping there due to it being a pain in the *** area. All the more reason to have something like this.

To whoever did read through all of this: What do you think?

A_Call_Beyond

Souls: 72.00
Ahh dude. There won't be a Dark Souls 4, sadly

T-King-667

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 842.00
A_Call_Beyond wrote:Ahh dude. There won't be a Dark Souls 4, sadly
The title of the post is at max character limit. I wanted to have (Suggestion for DS4/future title) but I even had to cut down the word "Suggestion"

With that said this suggestion doesn't just have to be for DS4 since a system like this has the capability to twist the game into borderline RTS. But it could be even in something Like Elden Ring (Since we know nothing on that title and have no idea when it's coming out) or even the heavily rumored Demons souls remake. Or DS4/reboot when it is eventually made (Dark souls 3 just surpassed 10 mil sales, I highly doubt that they will never return to the series)