Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 382,270.49
Bank: 9,143.71
Wiki Edits: 32550
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Devil May Cry 5 Review: Is Capcom's 2019 DMC5 worth it? We review the game's story & setting, gameplay, multiplayer, replayability, performance.

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
DmC = "horrible aberration"? I found that entry much more enjoyable and memorable than DMC4. It's certainly better than DMC2, and in some ways, very comparable in difficulty to DMC3.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,961.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Nice read, though I have two minor qualms myself. The first being the nod to MHW when speaking on capcom. They did quite a bit that actually watered down the experience for a lot of vets for the series. Which can be considered contraversial. But I think what "saved it" was how good they did when streamlining it. In other words it being simplified was both a sore spot and a point of praise. Nothing i've seen from DMC5 so far seems to indicate them taking anywhere near as big of risks with the series like MHW did. (barring the ability to only go into missions with the weapons you want to use instead of your whole arsenal.)

The second qualm is the distaste of the DMC reboot. I know i'm always going to be the odd one out here but I don't think the reboot is nearly as bad as people make it to be. To me it just boils down to people getting overworked by looking too hard into the wig joke. The game has a very good roster of sound tracks like past games. The level design is actually probably the best in the series. (maybe second best to 3.) The bosses still followed the same kind of unique flavor that the series is known for. And the combat fits right along side the rest of the series (ignoring the "angel/demon" weapons part as they patched that away with a specific addition release.) Not to mention switching weaponry felt the smoothest compared to the past games. It was a good example of streamlining done right.

I can understand people not liking the new visuals/overall asthetic. As DMC prior to the reboot was basically gothic/european design with heavy japanese influence in terms of enemy design. But the reboot was entirely aimed at appealing to a western audience. Hence why Dante is an emo looking rocker and the demons are more gross looking than horrifying looking. Obviously this is preference based but having this context should make the radical design choices that effect one's immersion more understandable. Personally speaking I don't see how people can be so harsh about DmC when devil may cry 2 was arguably worse.

It betrays the entire combat system and doesn't even pay respect to the series story telling wise. DmC was a reboot. You can say it failed to catch new interest. But at least it was being it's own thing. DMC 2 is just a bad game through and through and it was meant to continue the series roots as a sequel. And I love 4 to death but dear lord is the game half arsed with level design.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 382,270.49
Bank: 9,143.71
Wiki Edits: 32550
@BWO_RazrSrorm I think MHW did a good job of streamlining whilst keeping the core. Yes many mechanics are gone, but the quality of life improvements outweigh them and now that they've gone "mainstream" such mechanics can be reintroduced for added fun in other titles. DMC5 is not taking risks, but it has improved the core gameplay elements and created a more accessible testing environment via The Void.

My distaste for the reboot is very personal. I loved Heavenly Sword and was thrilled to see Ninja Theory take on Devil May Cry. I was in their forums day one! And then the studio, inexplicably, started attacking the fans. "Dante isn't cool anymore" - "Fans are wrong, don't know what is good, we do and we will show them", "Our design is superior"...This is not the right way to take on a reboot. Look at God of War, a much more successful reboot of both character and gameplay, where the developers did not set off to antagonize the existing fanbase but instead excite them for the change.

Then the game came out and the gameplay was just... not "it". The feel of DMC was gone, replaced by "generic action title", with "generic uk brat". That game should have been its own thing and not a DMC game, and it would have done better.

DMC2 happened a long time ago, I don't think it's a bad game, but it's certainly the worst of Capcom's lot.
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,961.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Fexelea wrote:@BWO_RazrSrorm I think MHW did a good job of streamlining whilst keeping the core. Yes many mechanics are gone, but the quality of life improvements outweigh them and now that they've gone "mainstream" such mechanics can be reintroduced for added fun in other titles. DMC5 is not taking risks, but it has improved the core gameplay elements and created a more accessible testing environment via The Void.

My distaste for the reboot is very personal. I loved Heavenly Sword and was thrilled to see Ninja Theory take on Devil May Cry. I was in their forums day one! And then the studio, inexplicably, started attacking the fans. "Dante isn't cool anymore" - "Fans are wrong, don't know what is good, we do and we will show them", "Our design is superior"...This is not the right way to take on a reboot. Look at God of War, a much more successful reboot of both character and gameplay, where the developers did not set off to antagonize the existing fanbase but instead excite them for the change.

Then the game came out and the gameplay was just... not "it". The feel of DMC was gone, replaced by "generic action title", with "generic uk brat". That game should have been its own thing and not a DMC game, and it would have done better.

DMC2 happened a long time ago, I don't think it's a bad game, but it's certainly the worst of Capcom's lot.

See I didn't touch the DmC reboot till awhile after it had been out. So I missed that bit about the devs being that way. If that was people's main contention with the reboot then I can understand. But at least from the arguments i've watched/read and people I know irl it's not been mentioned. Hmm. I'm not sure about that. It felt like another DMC title to me combat wise. But I can accept that their might be nuances to it that I don't really recognize because I don't have years of experience with the franchise. That is a fairly popular statement I hear tbh. "DmC is a fine game on it's own just not a good DMC game." Personally I feel like that's a cop out response but -shrug- not looking to debate that.

I personally think it's an awful game. But there are worse examples in the gaming industry. Alien marines comes to mind.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.