Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Farron_Reject

Souls: 101.00
Hey!

So, I'll be honest, my Dark Souls skills are pretty hit or miss. Just getting it out there. For example, I beat Iudex Gundyr on my second try, the Curse-Rotted Greatwood in one try without taking a single hit, beat the Abyss Watchers on my fourth try, and wiped the floor with the Wandering Demon...but it took me 8 tries to beat the bloody Deacons of the Deep and 6 tries to beat Wolnir. So...yeah.

I've only just now dug out and played DS III after about a year of owning it (it fell behind all of the new games coming out lately) so It's been around 4 or 5 years since I played a Souls game before this. I haven't even played Bloodborne, even though I desperately want to, because I refuse to give Sony my money just for one console exclusive. Either way, I digress.

Having finally beat Wolnir and gotten out of what is probably my least favorite area in any Souls game ever (seriously, I'd take the OG Blighttown over skelly-gank Carthus), I'm kind of unsure where to go next. I'm at level 45, using a +2 Farron Greatsword, which I love, but with my +5 Uchigatana on the side. My parry skills are...improving. I've always sucked at parrying, but the F-Sword feels really nice and solid with parrying, even though I've never liked greatswords, much less Ultras. I've gone down into the Smouldering Lake, managed to get past the flame goat boys (also, btw, hate those guys) and disabled the ballista. I've tried the Old Demon King twice, but he seems extremely tanky and I'm not sure if it's because I'm underleveled? Should I leave him and go to the Boreal Valley? Or should I grind souls in earlier areas to level a bit more before challenging the ODK or Irithyll?

Thanks

Farron_Reject

Never mind on the Old Demon King, just played hide and seek with him around the body piles until he died

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,968.00
Well the main reason to go to Smoldering Lake is for the Large Shards. There are a few in Irithyll, but you can easily farm them from the Smoldering Lake Giant Crabs. Once you're up to +6 weapons (standard weapons that is, like the Uchigatana), then you're free to take on Irithyll. Note that the first miniboss in Irirthyll is weak to bleed. That said, usually I just smack him on his nose when he spawns. If you hit em hard enough you can stagger him, and then get a crit on his tummy.

What sort of build do you have? If you like Ultras, you can try Astora's Greatsword, which works with like 90% of builds, assuming you infuse it properly.

As a sidenote, Old Demon King's HP is about 80% of what you can actually see. When he's near death, he puts all of his power into one last explosion. Dodge that, and his only attack is to weakly flail at you.

Farron_Reject

Yeah, I’m at a +6 on my Uchigatana, and +2 on the Farron Greatsword. I’m using a Dex/Strength build, currently 26 in Str and 33 In Dex (Working more towards Dex because both of my main weapons A scale off Dex). I beat the dog at the beginning of Irithyll insanely easy, a single power attack to his face stunned him for a crit, then he immediately rolled over and let me finish him off.

I’ve explored most of Irithyll, and made it to the Pontiff. He’s tough, and I can’t decide on what to do. I found partying him made things a lot easier, but having a slow weapon seems like a bad idea. But I’m a lot better at parrying with the greatsword than I am with the Katana. Not sure what to do.

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,968.00
Parry with a buckler or parrying dagger?

Buckler starts fast and has above average number of active frames. Parrying dagger has a wind-up but a LOT of active frames.

In short, Buckler is for reaction, Parrying Dagger is for prediction.