Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Polyedra

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,556.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Is it possible to do a reverse backstep while locked on?

How do I deal with running attacks with a dagger?
They're my bane because I have a hard time punishing a good one and my reach is too low to prevent them at medium range. This is a problem against straight and curved swords, and katanas.
One solution is to stay in their faces but against swords that's risky having as little range as I do. Is there something else I should try? Cause now my strategy is to outspace them. If I want to stay on their nuts I have to quickstep a lot and it's fairly tricky against those quicker weapons. What do I need to do against swords and in particular against players playing reactively? Do I just keep alert for their runnning attack, quickstep it, and punish or do I go in and take my chances toe to toe being more aggressive?

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 23,702.50
Wiki Edits: 21
You cannot reverse backstep locked on
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

Polyedra

Obsessed
Commander

Ok, thanks. I suspected as much. Guess I need to work on my lock-off. Need it for roll and pivot backstabs also.

Achtpuntzes

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,700.01
Polyedra wrote:Is it possible to do a reverse backstep while locked on?

How do I deal with running attacks with a dagger?
They're my bane because I have a hard time punishing a good one and my reach is too low to prevent them at medium range. This is a problem against straight and curved swords, and katanas.
One solution is to stay in their faces but against swords that's risky having as little range as I do. Is there something else I should try? Cause now my strategy is to outspace them. If I want to stay on their nuts I have to quickstep a lot and it's fairly tricky against those quicker weapons. What do I need to do against swords and in particular against players playing reactively? Do I just keep alert for their runnning attack, quickstep it, and punish or do I go in and take my chances toe to toe being more aggressive?

Huh? U serious?

It real easy, i learned it in half PvP match when the game just was out. It was in undead settlement and i was trying out the Rotten Ghru dagger. I got to fight someone with washing pole and he was owning me, how the hell could i beat someone with that reach whie having no reach at all?

I found the solution with only one estus left, 3 great options:
- Katana running attack can be parried easily on sight!
- 1hand: rolling towards your opponent on his running attack. You dont get ANY damage (though u do build up status effect like bleed) while closing the distance at the same time!
- 2hand: quicstep towards your opponent while he does his running attack. Now you a. dont get hit and b. dont build up status while closing distance to the target.

So i figured it out in half a match, the table got turned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and i owned my opponent killing him fast. I never had problems again with dagger style against running attacks.

For the rest, a dagger is totally on top of any katana! It one of the easyest weapon class to fight dagger style. Straight swords are a bit trickyer especially in the hands of skilled guys of the first hour that sticked to using straigh swords because they are the best weapon class anyway. But if u stick to your dagger and get a little experience, u should also own them!
sl59 faith guy +8
sl42 luck guy +6
sl38 dex guy +5
sl20 +3
sl1 +2
no meta build

Polyedra

Obsessed
Commander

Yeah... I keep trying to counter their attack directly. Thing about that is that they have to have misjudged the distance for that to be possible. Perhaps if I read they'd be doing a running attack and marched towards them it would work? I strafe, so it is that. And if I did walk up to them maybe they would change their mind unless I did it when they had commited. Anyway, safer option is quickstep or roll. I don't quickstep enough I think. Lost a couple of dagger fights because I didn't. But I also think people spam it too much, running out of FP for no reason when they could've done damage instead.
I like your advice, thank you :-) And I usually win against katanas! I've noticed they're at disadvantage ;-)