Discuss the Forums, the blog and Wikis

red_rose

Souls: 508.00
Wiki Edits: 87
I was working on updating recipes and image icons for D:OS2 here

https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Potions

After a while though the 'upload' stops working, i.e. I press Upload and select an image, but the image does not appear in the image database. This has happened before, and when I returned after a while, I was once again able to upload more images. This makes me think that there may be a maximum number of uploads I can do in a given period of time.

Is that the case, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

red_rose

Just to confirm, I tried again, and it seems that once I upload 15 images in a short time, then I get a temporary block. I don't think it's a space limit because the images are very small, 5-6 KB each. I think the limit is on the the number of images per hour, or something like that. Is this normal?
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 312,123.49
Bank: 8,359.71
Wiki Edits: 24545
Hi

Yes there’s an anti vandalism measure to prevent spam. I’ll add you to a whitelist so you can upload more
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

red_rose

Fexelea wrote:Hi
Yes there’s an anti vandalism measure to prevent spam. I’ll add you to a whitelist so you can upload more

Much appreciated! Those measures are understandable.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Ok all set! @red_rose you should now be able to upload images without restrictions

Something about images though or they will look funny later

1. name them without spaces, apostrophes or any other strange symbol. Replace spaces with _
for example:
Mark's & Spencer's.jpg should be
marks_spencers.jpg

2. Make all of them lower case

3. If the image is not transparent (it's a square), then save as .jpg
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

red_rose

Oh snap! I didn't know about these rules. OK, I will fix all images I've uploaded to match those guidelines.

BTW, where can I read all the guidelines that you mentioned? The only guide I could find about editing images is here:
https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Editing+Guide

, but that page doesn't address the things you mentioned, i.e. name, file type, transparency, etc.

Also, I did notice that most of the older images had transparency. How do I do that? I just take screenshots from my game.
Thanks for the info!
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

We got the images with transparency from the game files. If you're taking screenshots you'll be using .jpg formats

I do need to add this info to the editing guide, thanks for reminding me!

red_rose

OK, so basically that means there's no way for me to obtain those images easily. It does look good with transparency though...

Anyway, well crap, I've been posting all PNG screenshots. Is it necessary to delete those and re-upload them as JPG? I will if I have to.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

I can try and get the transparent .pngs - We most likely have them just not named.

The reason to use .jpg for anything without transparency is because they are less "heavy" in terms of bytes and therefore make page loading less of a pain for people on mobile.

Since you had been named your files with spaces, you can probably kill two birds with one stone by reuploading the files named without spaces and with .jpg format. Here are two programs I use to rename files quickly and change their format

Resize / Change file format in batches
https://www.fotosizer.com/

Rename files (replace space with _ for example)
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

You can check the current versions of both programs vs a virus / spyware installer, I did it a long time ago and have had no issues but have not downloaded recently. They do save a LOT of time for the wiki :)

red_rose

You got it. Yea, Bulk Rename is a great app I've used many times. For the conversion I used Faststone Photo Resizer but I'll check out the one you mentioned as well.

I'll update my edits in the next couple of days, but if you have those transparent PNGs available somewhere maybe I can use those, if that's in any way possible (I can do the naming too). But if it's too much trouble then don't worry about it. Thanks.