Anything related to Dark Souls!

SaltLakeAtrocity

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,314.00
Wiki Edits: 4
TL;DR version: I used the Remaster to remedy the fact that despite logging 5000+ hours into DS1, I'd never made a single caster before (not counting half-assed hybrid-pyromancers because those don't really count). I know it's supposedly overpowered "easy mode" and all that jazz—why I'd avoided the niche, honestly—but it's still a fair chunk of the game I've never experienced before.

After spending literally hours burying myself into the game's math to figure out that the tin banishment catalyst is the best overall catalyst for someone who values cast speed while also valuing the physical damage dealt by dark magic over the magic damage.

Then I realized that most weapons don't scale very well with magic infusion: being hit harder by the split damage more than they benefit from dual-stat scaling.

Being someone who gets literally zero fun out of weapon buff builds like crystal magic weapon, and also being someone who loathes running builds that don't maximize their results-per-level-invested as much as absolutely possible (i.e.: running 45 dex and 45 int, but using a melee weapon that doesn't benefit from both of those things, or doesn't benefit very much from both of those things) , I'm looking out for hopes that there's a weapon that scales better off the magic infusion than the rest (because in most souls games there usually is such a weapon).

And if such a weapon does not exist: is there really no dex-scaling catalyst that benefits more from a typical quality build (in case probably tweaked to ~20-27 STR / ~40-45 DEX) set up that doesn't necessarily need massive amounts of intelligence to deal above-average damage? Demon's catalyst seems like garbage, and that seems to be the only option.
"In some remote corner of the universe, there was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die."— Friedrich Nietzsche

IgnusKnavery

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,552.00
Velka's Rapier scales off of DEX and INT, but I'm not sure how hard hitting it is as I've never used it. I'm doing a similar build and am currently choosing on running with the following:

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/? ... wwLDAsMA==

Right now, I'm going to use CMW with a BSS, but like you, I don't particularly like buffing my weapons. So, I may change my mind. The thought I had going into this build was that I'd be utilizing CMW with an already hard-hitting DEX weapon. Otherwise, I would've just skipped DEX all together and gone with a Moonlight Greatsword build. If you get zero fun out of buffing weapons though, I don't know how much value you'll get with an INT/DEX build.
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Achtpuntzes

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,700.01
Im gonna be real short here.

Stop thinking in terms of best scaling or best damage. Moveset is way more important, and then a Balder side sword suits fine in the hands of a mage.
sl59 faith guy +8
sl42 luck guy +6
sl38 dex guy +5
sl20 +3
sl1 +2
no meta build

TheBigLebowski

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 2,975.00
I agree, if you can handle a certain weapon well but it does a bit less damage, it's always better than a high dps weapon with a poor moveset for you. So just choose the weapon that fits your playstyle best!

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,711.50
The inherent weapons with Dex & Int scaling are Velka's Rapier, titanite Catch Pole, and Channeler's Trident.
The Moonlight Greatsword of course has immense intelligence scaling.
Velka's Rapier has an occult auxiliary effect against certain enemies.

The normal weapons with low-ish physical requirements that get very solid resultant magic AR from Magic/Enchanted are
Claymore, Bastard Sword, Scythe, Lucerne, Gargoyle's Halberd, Halberd

In terms of just scaling factor numbers, the among the highest numbers are bows, straight swords and the demon greataxe.
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
DS3 Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)
DS:Re Phantom Build Guide Draft

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 22,721.00
Wiki Edits: 15
I've been cobbling together a dex build with enough int to use dark magic, then maybe some strength for the Manus Cat. There doesnt' seem to be a real assortment of naturally scaling weapons, so I basically keep a buff on hand for really tough enemies or bosses, and then slice through the mobs with a katana weapon.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"

Sidney_Losstarot

Souls: 19,935.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 2141
If you don't want to use buffs and you want a good Dex/Int weapon i can suggest the Enchanted Painted Sword +5....it gives you 136 Physical and 141 Magic...plus it has S scaling in Int, D in Dex and has 300 of bleeding....the moveset is the same as the Falchion but it's shorter then the Falchion so you have to stay close to the target...
In one of my build on PS3 this weapon was really good in PVP...well, i used to buff it with CMW and the damage was crazy...something like 750 AR with a fast weapon like this is an easy win...but you have to be careful because it's very easy to parry

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,077.50
I’m using Velka’s Blade for the first time with my Crystal/Dark sorcerer. It’s pretty useful for closing a gap to get that last hit on an enemy without wasting another spell (I’m only carrying the hard hitters with fewer uses).
It’s also nice for tearing through weaker mobs.

And it looks great with my character as well.

IgnusKnavery

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,552.00
Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:I’m using Velka’s Blade for the first time with my Crystal/Dark sorcerer. It’s pretty useful for closing a gap to get that last hit on an enemy without wasting another spell (I’m only carrying the hard hitters with fewer uses).
It’s also nice for tearing through weaker mobs.

And it looks great with my character as well.

How's the damage? I just picked up CMW for my +10 BSS, but haven't tried it yet. I'm finding these DEX weapons that require 10 or less STR have a lot to be desired. It's the first time I've played a DEX or DEX/INT character without a katana or the great scythe, which is hard-hitting as hell.
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,077.50
Yeah, my past Dex/int Sorcerers in DS1 always used katana or Great Scythe.

The damage on Velka’s isn’t that great. I think about 168 on a single quick poke but it’s fast and staggers well on smaller mobs, which is what I wanted it for. It’s also been useful for PvP (DMB) for getting in a quick poke to finish them after a spell hits.
And those PvE boss moments when you just land a hard spell to finish them, and they have that tad bit left. The lunge is nice. And the R2 looks pretty cool if you have the timing for it.