Anything related to Dark Souls!
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
I think there's some legit concerns even for an unfinished product. I'm legitimately worried that several online interaction components won't actually be improved on PlayStation. It's possible resonance rings were turned off, and honestly I didn't see too many knights for there to even be much casting of heal, the only miracle in the test so maybe their absence wasn't anything to worry about. But with how unabashedly broken they were on PS3 I'm worried (worked for about a week after the DLC was released then a patch re-broke them). It's reeeeeeeaaaaaally weird that they included a Gravelord in the test but there was zero evidence of it working. I literally let my character stand in near the fire for over half an hour. At the very least someone should have accidentally activated my sign with the high traffic volume. Nothing.

Honestly the only improvement I was hoping for was for some original features to work properly and I'm very worried these fun mechanics will remain broken.

As for the rest, I think it's been pretty upfront that it's the same game with better graphics. On consoles I for one was never under any illusions that it would be some grand step into the future of aesthetics (or even better than the third game). So my expectations were met during the network test.

For me I'm buying because I never got into the finer aspects of online play until the very end. I did a lot of forest hunting which I'll probably mostly ignore this time around. But co-op I've really fallen in love with over the years (as a helper mostly) and my sadistic side has started to enjoy invading. I would love to try my hand at gravelording, being a blue invader and more and the ability to covenant swap easier should cater to what I want to see.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,521.00
Wiki Edits: 9
Well, being an evaluator of opinions and sources by profession, the inflammatory language on the title, calculated toward clicks, made me discount it from the start. I remember him bitching about something else regarding ringed city, so bitching seems to be his bag.

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,521.00
Wiki Edits: 9
I actually watched the Infernoplus video.

It completely elides the reality that:

1) Fromsoft never developed diddly for pc before dark souls. They knew they weren't up to scratch, said it up front, but they did it anyway despite being upfront about a lack of skill and craft on these matters because of a petition - not because they thought they could do quality work. While I know it took 23 minutes to fix the game in the West, that doesn't say much other than Fromsoft lacked the institutional knowledge to port it, did what they could while working on more important projects, and then kept going.
2) They were also working on BB, DS2, and god knows what at the time.

Getting Japanese games to pc was and remains quite a challenge. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-japan-learn ... ing-again/

While I know "PC master race" is a trope, Japanese companies, which care first and foremost about Japanese players as a matter of business practice and culture, are only beginning to really reckon with the bigger PC market second or third, let alone first. Hell, from what I can tell, they care more about mobile than they care about console, so we should all be aware that we're secondary and third priorities, if we're priorities at all. Look at MHW - no PC arrival until fall because Capcom knows it's strengths and it's base, but they're still doing it, so that's progress.

I feel like there's a real wilful blindness by PC players about the reality of Japanese software companies and their core priorities and capabilities. Comparing how an American software company that developed for pc first (Bethesda) handled the Skyrim Remaster situation totally elides the cultural and business reality of BandaiNamco/Fromsoft being Japanese companies that have only begun to really get a handle on developing for PC and will probably never be as savvy as a native born PC developer like Bethesda.

Just my two cents.

Think about this: According to Steam's traffic data, Japan accounts for 1.2 percent of global downloads, compared to 1.9 percent for South Korea, 1.8 percent for Australia and 2.4 percent for Canada. The US guzzles down 17.5 percent of Steam downloads.

Grehym_Blak

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,453.00
Wiki Edits: 1
skarekrow13 wrote:I think there's some legit concerns even for an unfinished product. I'm legitimately worried that several online interaction components won't actually be improved on PlayStation. It's possible resonance rings were turned off, and honestly I didn't see too many knights for there to even be much casting of heal, the only miracle in the test so maybe their absence wasn't anything to worry about. But with how unabashedly broken they were on PS3 I'm worried (worked for about a week after the DLC was released then a patch re-broke them). It's reeeeeeeaaaaaally weird that they included a Gravelord in the test but there was zero evidence of it working. I literally let my character stand in near the fire for over half an hour. At the very least someone should have accidentally activated my sign with the high traffic volume. Nothing.

Honestly the only improvement I was hoping for was for some original features to work properly and I'm very worried these fun mechanics will remain broken.

As for the rest, I think it's been pretty upfront that it's the same game with better graphics. On consoles I for one was never under any illusions that it would be some grand step into the future of aesthetics (or even better than the third game). So my expectations were met during the network test.

For me I'm buying because I never got into the finer aspects of online play until the very end. I did a lot of forest hunting which I'll probably mostly ignore this time around. But co-op I've really fallen in love with over the years (as a helper mostly) and my sadistic side has started to enjoy invading. I would love to try my hand at gravelording, being a blue invader and more and the ability to covenant swap easier should cater to what I want to see.

If you watch Sunlight Blade's network test video you can see that Gravelord did work, and actually too well. According to his comments it was crashing the test client, so Bandai disabled the gravelord function the rest of the way. I assume this is why the servers went down for a short period of time. The servers did go down right? Feel like I read that somewhere, even though it must have happened when I wasnt playing cause I didn't experience it myself.
"Death is light as a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." RIP R.J.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,450.50
Well that's a good thing that it works, then.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
That's not terribly comforting actually.

Fingers crossed they'll find the right amount of gravelording, lol
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Lich180

Revived
Savior

You get black phantoms, you get black phantoms, EVERYONE gets black phantoms!

Grehym_Blak

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,453.00
Wiki Edits: 1
Lich180 wrote:You get black phantoms, you get black phantoms, EVERYONE gets black phantoms!

I assume this is response to Sunlight Blades vid or someone elses? But yeah, it looked insane, and may be worth the $40 by itself. Abyssal Chasms 2.0 or actually 1.0 and DS2 was 2.0...except we aren't dark diving, more like dark invasion air drop.

Watch on youtube.com
"Death is light as a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." RIP R.J.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

I was referencing Oprah, when she gives everyone a car. I haven't watched a lot of different videos and opinions on the remaster, honestly.

The main reason I'm interested in the remaster is simply to experience Dark Souls 1 with PvP everywhere, not just in the Burg and other hot spots like the forest ganks and Oolacile. I don't care about the lack of mechanics from 3, I mind the old, clunky controls.

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 22,820.00
Wiki Edits: 15
If I was buying this just for the amped up PvP, I think I'd go with a dex build. Anything with long animations like heavy weapons or spellcasting seems like a recipe for backstabs. For what little I played, the best option for PvP seemed like a quick weapon. I had more luck with a two handed dagger than anything else. They can't stab what they can't catch.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"