Organize fightclubs, discuss tactics!

Snoble

Souls: 150.00
The title says it all. Why do you like pvp in these games?

Personally, ignoring details of specific games, the main thing I love about pvp is it's simplicity. When compared to other competitive games, souls pvp doesn't have nearly the amount of complexity. Doing anything in these games (for instance, blocking, dodging, attacking, parrying etc) is very simple. As a consequence, executional skills largely don't matter. Judgement concerning spacing and timing is the skill that's most rewarded.

I find this interesting when compared to other more serious competitive games like fighters, MOBA's, and Starcraft. Those games have a much higher skill ceiling, and much more potential for depth. But they also require a much higher investment before focusing on strategy, since they all have executional skills that are core to the game. This isn't the case in Souls, where execution is easy.

That’s what I love about souls pvp. Simple gameplay that rewards judgement over execution.

Anyways, why do you like pvp?

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 23,858.50
Wiki Edits: 26
I like duels in the arena for the technicity it allows:
I like the spacing, the surprise of breaking rythm and patterns, the mind games of parrying etc.
Yes you can be technical in souls: running buffering on block, reverse back step queuing on so many inputs (bundle, grenade, throwing knife, rolling, swinging weapon, casting spell, parrying...you name it), swapping weapons and rings etc...
But this sort of assumes the other player is likeminded which happens less and less as the series goes on. More and more players follow preformatted builds from influent uploaders who play it safe at the expense of fun.
The end result is that while pvp should be lots of fun with high risk reward it is in fact a tedious boring grind through shield and board conservative play styles doubled up with tears of denial or full escape kitting spell abuse (homing soul mass only builds is becoming annoyingly popular nowadays for example)

I like low level invasion for the absence of the aforementioned play styles and the spontaneity of the chaos and hat can happen (at the expense of exponential lags with simultaneous players)

In the end DkS3 pvp had the potential to be the best to date (especially now that broken builds are nerfed back to normal) but this is plagued by players refusing fun and always hiding behind safe obnoxiously boring techniques just because winning is always more important than having a fun fair game.

Pvp is as good as the players and sadly the proportion of tryhards has made the quality pvp sessions very rare.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

Snoble

Souls: 150.00
announakis wrote:I like duels in the arena for the technicity it allows:
I like the spacing, the surprise of breaking rythm and patterns, the mind games of parrying etc.
Yes you can be technical in souls: running buffering on block, reverse back step queuing on so many inputs (bundle, grenade, throwing knife, rolling, swinging weapon, casting spell, parrying...you name it), swapping weapons and rings etc...
But this sort of assumes the other player is likeminded which happens less and less as the series goes on. More and more players follow preformatted builds from influent uploaders who play it safe at the expense of fun.
The end result is that while pvp should be lots of fun with high risk reward it is in fact a tedious boring grind through shield and board conservative play styles doubled up with tears of denial or full escape kitting spell abuse (homing soul mass only builds is becoming annoyingly popular nowadays for example)

I like low level invasion for the absence of the aforementioned play styles and the spontaneity of the chaos and hat can happen (at the expense of exponential lags with simultaneous players)

In the end DkS3 pvp had the potential to be the best to date (especially now that broken builds are nerfed back to normal) but this is plagued by players refusing fun and always hiding behind safe obnoxiously boring techniques just because winning is always more important than having a fun fair game.

Pvp is as good as the players and sadly the proportion of tryhards has made the quality pvp sessions very rare.

I think part of this problem is how certain things aren't punishable enough. It seems far too hard to capitalize on a mistake from your opponent. Part of this is due to the way things like rolls and backstabs function. But I think a larger factor is that weapons and the other options players have available aren't designed in a way that allows them to overcome the obstacles in pvp. There aren't enough consistent ways to control the fight in DS3, which means the best way to play is passive and reactionary.

I agree with everything you said, except that pvp is as good as the players. I think this is true in DS3, but its caused by the functioning of the mechanics. If the combat system allowed for more control during fights, there would be less ability for your opponent to make the match passive and boring.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

@Snoble
Well I have stopped playing at meta level because of this.
Just tired of facing rude try hards rocking the lothric SS infused dark usually, black knight shield, a crossbow and tears of denial.
PvP in dark souls can be **** fantastic but with good duellist actually accepting to play, take risks and sacrifice something and who try things.
I had tons of fun for while playing with the frenchies at masked team pvp and players gravitating around them, more focused on prowess and fun than wins and outcomes.

Most players who stick at lower level are in a much better mindset in this regard and it makes it all much more enjoyable.

Sadly, this part of the community is more oriented towards invasion and it is rather hard to find consistently opponents in the arena below because literally everyone is playing at sl120-140 in the arena...sadly
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

YeOldSoulseBuddy

Souls: 92.00
I'll be honest, the PVP scene of Dark Souls 3 is crap. Everyone uses UGS, there's no variety, and the fact that poise isn't a thing makes the PVP scene for DS3 pretty annoying, especially when you're trying to find a duel. But hey, this is Dark Souls, where even the bad stuff is good, so the best part of Dark Souls 3 PVP has to be the community. Not the soul-crushing, Dark Sword users, but the people who put on fight clubs, who do duels, who do all these things and have fun. Anything is good if it has a good enough community.

Excluding twinkers. They need to leave. Now.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

YeOldSoulseBuddy wrote:Everyone uses UGS

do we play the same game? very few players are actually duelling with UGS because there is basically little incentive to do so: they do not hit hard enough for their stamina consumption, they are slow as hell and can be rolled though for days in total impunity for the most part, they weight a ton and the hyperarmor they provide is used in very circumstantial ways.
Basically, everybody is better off using a Greatsword instead because it gives enough hyperarmor to poise through most things you wanna trade with, hits faster and almost as hard, for way less stamina...

YeOldSoulseBuddy wrote:there's no variety

true, at least little because people do not want to play and have fun...they want to win. So they listen to influencers like Revan619 who say that UGS are the worst weapon in PvP and they go r1-r1-r2 with dark infused straight swords and big black knight shields and tears of denial.
YeOldSoulseBuddy wrote:the fact that poise isn't a thing makes the PVP scene for DS3 pretty annoying

it is very much a thing and directly contradicts the fact that you see UGS everywhere since this is their strength....I am confused...
YeOldSoulseBuddy wrote:Dark Sword users

I have not seen a dark sword in the arena in a year I think...where have you been?
YeOldSoulseBuddy wrote:Excluding twinkers. They need to leave. Now

lol this is the only thing that keeps the game somewhat fresh!
my YouTube channel

A hoonter must hoont!

Atlus

Souls: 60.00
My personal preference is a fair fight. Mothing I hate more than someone who heals during a duel. Or cheaters god. Or mage scrubs. Fight fair. Fight smart. And I would love a duel with you. :00004: