Discuss Divinity Original Sin, as well as comments posted to our Divinity Original Sin Wiki and Divinity Original Sin 2 Wiki

You HAVE to talk to Xiuh before killing Ryker. after you kill Ryker Xiuh will refuse to talk to you. Then your only option will be to lockpick it witch atm don't close the quest
In the Definitive Edition, using Fane´s mask doesn´t work, I used it with Sebille for the Scholar tag. I needed to respec the Red Prince in order to get the password.

SirTizzyWizzy

Souls: 50.00
This is the problem I have run into
I wonder if the name of the chest, Thrice Bound, is inspired buy the Kingkiller Chronicles which features a similarly named and just as complexly sealed Thrice Locked chest

lowfat

If you don't have Red Prince in your party, bashing it open still gives 3875XP.
If you wanted to talk to the salamander, as a lizard with pet pal, do it before you kill Ryker, bc after I did that the salamander didn't give me the password
For me, the salamander does not want to converse regardless of race, talents, civic skills or Ryker's status. The only thing I might have messed up is completing [[Stranger in a Strange Land]] before even touching the chest and entering the mansion.
I wouldn't mind getting Pet Pal if the points weren't so few and far between. Of course, I'd prefer mnemonics, or attribute/talent points, or leech, or comeback kid, or extra vitality for my tank (lizard character with the scholar tag) via warfare, or... ...I still have a squirrel chasing after me in spirit form but I've yet to talk to him because he's too snooty to speak with Ifan and I've wanted things other than Pet Pal on my main. Like loremaster, this should be a one party member and done thing. I'm not putting it on Ifan, Red Prince, and my main.
Get the free pet pal mod ;)
If you lockpicked the chest before you got the quest and you can no longer talk to the chest, the way to close the quest is to move the chest out of the fire, rightlick Attack it and destroy it. the quest closes then

SirTizzyWizzy

As said below, using Fane's mask does not give you the password in the definitive edition