Discuss Divinity Original Sin, as well as comments posted to our Divinity Original Sin Wiki and Divinity Original Sin 2 Wiki

you can sneak read Volume two by having multiple party members simultaneously engage in conversation with the masked servants. You make them turn away from the Volume to speak with you and then have once character sneak and read/steal the book.
You don't even have to use multiple, it can be done solo, as the servants do not patrol or return to their original facing once turned.
Try to steal from him while one of your characters talks with him. First time i tried it he only dropped the Mass Explosion book. On the second attempt after stealing and answering the questions he also dropped a bunch of gold as well as a few skill books. (Requires Thievery 3)
Just tried this. I was able distract him with Ifan, then take Fane (my thief) and pickpocket 2k gold from him. Then I was able to cancel the distraction dialogue with Ifan and talk to him with Thane again for the easy Undead speech checks. After he died he dropped all of his remaining wares with him. Very nice ^_^
OMG Fane's answers are just hilariously mean to a philosopher haha
as the red prince the correct order for him was 3,3,3.
In a hilarious turn of events, I blindly picked the options I thought would be wittiest (finally making use of Beast's Barbarian tag) and won the duel. I recognized the answer to question 3 from The Essence of Existence, but only from reading the article did I notice the book was related to the duel. Or that you'd straight up die from failing. 10/10, favorite quest so far.
I just lost a solo honor run to this quality gameplay
You solo honor and dont even read the walkthrough that some hard core ****
You can complete this quest without reading books, and being undead if you have 3 following tags on 1 character : Barbarian, Mystic , Villan.
On Definitive Edition only received 9,650 xp. Used Fane without reading any books.
Don't know why but my after I killed Ryker and take all his books, the books don't show up in my inventory. Now I can't complete this quest
Someone should try the Villian tag for question 3 because it worked for me. Sadly I was Jester and Scholar so I still needed a book but I think you can succeed if you have followed a set path.