VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption looks quite a bit like Dark Souls. But, what if there's more to this game than meets the eye?

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Rangrok

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,844.00
Reminds me of when people used to call first-person shooters Doom clones. Can't we just assume souls-like is a genre now? It seems pointless, if not counter-productive, to accuse all these games of ripping off Fromsoft.
Last edited by Rangrok on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qeter

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 224.00
Bank: 4,213.00
Wiki Edits: 5
I've seen people vehemently hate the souls-like label. I've seen people love games for falling under its umbrella. I've seen others calling those same games ripoffs. I think things should just be judged in their own merits.

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,419.00
Yeah I think we've had threads dedicated to discussing the influences of games, and they end up so blended together it's hard to tell what feature was where first sometimes.

Everything should be judged on its own merits, like you said, but that's not easy for people who like to categorize things and draw imaginary lines.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 403.04
Wiki Edits: 459
I think you need both an objective look and the comparisons to analyze.

The more game reviews I do, the more apparent it becomes how important it is to be able to cite similarities.

I can take a thousand words to describe Immortal Planet's look, or I can call it a less colorful Transistor and get the same point across.

That said, I don't like the term ”clone” because that has a ”rip off” vibe. And most games are influenced or similar at most.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 403.04
Wiki Edits: 459
Also, I really like the aesthetics in this game. Definitely be keeping an eye on it
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Rangrok

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,844.00
skarekrow13 wrote:I think you need both an objective look and the comparisons to analyze.

The more game reviews I do, the more apparent it becomes how important it is to be able to cite similarities.

I can take a thousand words to describe Immortal Planet's look, or I can call it a less colorful Transistor and get the same point across.

That said, I don't like the term ”clone” because that has a ”rip off” vibe. And most games are influenced or similar at most.

I agree with this sentiment. If you read most experienced film critics, they tend to draw parallels to other films in their reviews. It's not meant to accuse them of ripping each other off or being unoriginal, rather it's to help characterize the film. Heck, how many descriptions of Dark Souls 1's level design include the term "Metroidvania"? It's not meant as an insult, it's just "if you like Metroidvania level design, you will find it in Dark Souls."

At this point, why can't the same be applied to souls-like gameplay? It just seems counter-productive to argue "is Sinner a clone of Dark Souls or not?" when you can just say "Sinner is a souls-like game. Here's some info about it that makes it worth keeping an eye on."

Phantorang

Souls: 703.00
Bank: 3.00
Wiki Edits: 13
Who cares what it is, as long as it is a great game! And if it is as good as Dark Souls, I am very happy to say I am definitely going to buy it! :)

Toshin

Souls: 224.00
I wonder what's with the number of dislikes on that video... I'd say its because of the graphics more than anything.

Tbh, the game looks pretty decent for an indie game and the mechanics are quite similar to a souls game.

This game has caught my interest, thanks for sharing!
"[...] Think for yourselves, don't be sheep."
―Rick Sanchez

Jet1337

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 697.00
Wiki Edits: 11
It looks like it uses Borderlands-style cell shading.
Dark Souls 3: The Doomslayer: Level 802 ☠ NG+70
https://puu.sh/xueua/ca339065a2.jpg