Discuss Bloodborne news, observations, wishes and experiences.
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Now that Dark Souls is completed as a franchise (for the time being at least), From Software is moving on to other projects. Given how they evolved Dark Souls over 3 games, we got to wondering how Bloodborne would evolve if they released sequels for it, especially since it's so different from Dark Souls. What better a resource to thought experiment with than our own Fextralife community full of rabid Soulsborne enthusiasts! What follows is a breakdown of the features we would like to see in a Bloodborne sequel, with an eye towards what improvements we would like to see ...
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,184.50
Wiki Edits: 29
as long as there is no shield and no straight sword I reckon they cannot really go wrong ^_^
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Wiki Edits: 460
I forgot one...

I wish a game would explore more tabletop RPG character creation mechanics, and I feel Bloodborne would be perfect.

Proposal:
-Class selection defines minimum starting parameters rather than an absolute value (ex: Choosing "Soldier" creates a min Str. setting). Could also define maximums for others (ex: "Soldier" has maximum arcane setting)
-From there, players are given X amount of free points. These can be allocated at will during the character creation screen. So a soldier might have a minimum of 12 str., the points could boost it higher
-New feature called "Traits" which would also have a set amount of points or units to spend. These could be spent on bonuses like "Sure shot" which adds small bonus to say pistol weapons. Players could also elect to select "flaws" which would give more points to spend on beneficial traits or stats. So maybe the reverse of "sure shot." The character selects "The Shakes" which hampers gun use, but allows the purchase of something else. Some of these traits could even become possible later (like an NPC that specializes in body modifications or the like).

It would take some balancing, but allow for much greater character depth.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Hmm... I see what you did here. Nice editing work. :P

@skarekrow13
I disagree on a lot of that. Souls and its sister series Bloodborne are known for a few things, and one of those is how the decisions you make at character creation don't lock you in to certain playstyles over the rest of the game. Gameplay can change as the player adapts and finds new things they didn't think they'd like, not to mention a new player going in blind may not know that, for example, the really good guns and bloodtinge weapons don't start to turn up until a well hidden area halfway through the game. A bad choice in the beginning could screw a person over.

Valvatorez

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,138.00
Beast and Kin transformations (and maybe something else) somewhat ealier in the game would be nice too. They should be more impactful though. Except from one weapon each they had alsmost no effect. Also more freaky weapons like the Kos Parasite.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 10.00
Bank: 13,297.50
Wiki Edits: 3
TSMP wrote:Gameplay can change as the player adapts and finds new things they didn't think they'd like, not to mention a new player going in blind may not know that, for example, the really good guns and bloodtinge weapons don't start to turn up until a well hidden area halfway through the game. A bad choice in the beginning could screw a person over.

This is one thing I'd change. Make it so decent gear is easily accessible for all general build types earlier on. It seems unfair that basic melee builds get great weapons more easily, while many good arcane and bloodtinge gear is hidden in secret areas later in the game. I'm not saying better gear shouldn't be hidden like that, but at least have some good stuff somewhere in the open that can be used in end game.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

TSMP wrote:Hmm... I see what you did here. Nice editing work. :P

@skarekrow13
I disagree on a lot of that. Souls and its sister series Bloodborne are known for a few things, and one of those is how the decisions you make at character creation don't lock you in to certain playstyles over the rest of the game. Gameplay can change as the player adapts and finds new things they didn't think they'd like, not to mention a new player going in blind may not know that, for example, the really good guns and bloodtinge weapons don't start to turn up until a well hidden area halfway through the game. A bad choice in the beginning could screw a person over.

I might not have worded that well. That'd be applicable on character creation only for the stats. So if you choose soldier in my example, the arcane max limit wouldn't apply once the character started. Basically, rather than give all stats a hard coded start based on class, there'd be some wiggle room. So if you wanted a str/arc hybrid, you could give a boost to the arcane. Or you could focus on str, or add a Dex component.

In other words, it's more about allowing my version of that ”soldier” class to start off on a little different foot than your version. Once the game starts, it'd be normal stat rules.

On the traits and flaws side of things, it's like runes. The twist being you can elect to take some bad ones to trade up for more or bigger good ones. Naturally, you could elect to take none as well

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 498.00
Oh so a point buy system for starting stats. So instead of a class select you can move around starting stat numbers instead?
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Sort of. Taking a bit of love from D&D and White Wolf games.

Starting class would set some parameters (like minimums) and maybe some temp maximums. But then would give some free points to tweak in between.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Let me give a BB to proposed BB2 example...

The class I was remembering was Military Veteran which has an emphasis on melee weapons

Vit: 10
End: 10
Str: 14
Ski: 13
BT: 7
Arc: 6

My proposed would set minimums which looks much like the current system

Vit: 9
End: 9
Str: 12
Ski: 12
BT: 5
Arc: 5

Similar distribution, but 8 points lower

Well then you get 10 free points. Primary stats like Vit, Str and Ski have no starting maximum. So you could theoretically start with 22 Str.

Arc and BT are afterthought stats for this character and might have a 3 or 4 point cap, meaning you could get a head start of about 9 which is a little higher than what BB allows, but not to the point where your military vet looks like Merlin out of the gate.

It allows your military vet to be focused and customised right out of the gate, yet still fulfills the roleplay aspect.

The traits idea I'd have to flesh out even more, but in White Wolf's games was a tremendous way to simultaneously add backstory and tweak the character