Comments posted to our Dark Souls 2 Wiki

This convenant should be considered a pvp covenant seeing how it's based on fighting phantoms who resemble players and invading is a main aspect in the dark chasms.
PvP = player vs. player. not npc.

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
By definition, it is a pvp covenant; the area only allows invasions and red signs, blocks white signs, and replaces all summon slots with invasion slots (long story short, can't summon anyone but can be invaded by up to five other players simultaneously).

However, since the majority of the playerbase either doesn't know about the Dark Chasm's pvp mechanics, or else think it's an annoyance that gets in the way of maxing the covenant, they don't treat it as a pvp area and try to pretend it's a pve covenant. Even though, since the host player cannot progress without killing off all invaders (if/when someone does invade), fighting invaders could be seen as a central aspect of the covenant.

This is likely a holdover of people not knowing anything about the covenant when the game first released, and those attitudes persisting in the community even now.
I think the best way to truly define this is that is a PvE Covenant which utilizes PvP mechanics to express the theoretical lore. The Chasm invaders are specifically Abyssal, implying that there is some heavy taint of darkness which is discordant with jolly cooperation across worlds, a place of nothing but violence as everything is hostile to everything. It wouldn't be a PvP covenant simply because there is no Covenant reward for PvP interactions (there are rewards and though the Ascetics and Effigies might help in completing the ranks of the covenant, these items are not exclusive to it and could be farmed elsewhere). If anything, it is a hybrid, but definitely primarily PvE as the only real goal is to get a hidden boss and the loot associated.

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

I disagree that PoD is a hybrid PvE/PvP covenant, and consider it primarily a PvP covenant with only a minor PvE aspect. For a few reasons:

1) Invaders block the host's progress; fighting invaders becomes a requirement for the host to progress and gain further ranks. The host is literally unable to go past the fog wall at the end of each zone if even a single invader remains in the area, regardless of whether there are any NPCs alive. If the covenant weren't so abandoned (from people treating it as a PvE covenant instead of a PvP one) this would make PvP a required component for raising the covenant rank.

2) The covenant has unique invasion and pvp mechanics that do not exist anywhere else in the game. Were it exactly the same as a normal invasion, then I might agree that it exists only for lore/flavor purposes. As it is, abyss invasions are so different from any other kind of invasion that I simply cannot treat it as if it were a mere afterthought, and rather that it had to have been an intended part of the design. They even took other PvP covenants into consideration for this one; having ranks in BoB or Sentinels lets you keep either aura when invading in the Chasms (even though blue auras don't normally appear when using red orbs), and wearing Dragon equipment changes your phantom color to look like a dragon spirit instead of an abyss one, a red invader, or a blue invader. Referencing other PvP covenants like that, and carrying over what is normally a cosmetic reward for two of them, goes just a teensy bit beyond the bounds of simple lore, methinks.

3) PoD is not the only covenant with a boss at the end of it; Bell Keepers also has a boss. Granted, Keepers advance their covenant solely through invading, whereas Pilgrims advance their rank solely through area progression. But, considering point #1, this would not make Pilgrims any less of a PvP covenant under normal circumstances. Were Pilgrims of Dark as populated as Bell Keepers, then the host player would need to fight other players every step of the way, and far more simultaneous hostile players per zone than any other location.

4) After defeating the Darklurker, all three abyss gates are permanently opened for free until the next NG cycle. Since the Darklurker is already dead, the only conceivable reasons to go down there are to farm Ascetics or to invade. Invading also happens to give ascetics, and is sometimes an even faster way to farm them on a busy day. In other words, unlike other covenants where invasion is a necessary step for gaining ranks, in PoD invasions are treated as the reward for completing the covenant. This, if anything, makes it more pure; PvP becomes the goal, rather than a means to an end. The only people invading there are people who want to invade there, for the sake of invasions.

Sorry if this is a bit lengthy.
Sooo no coop allowed here right?

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Correct, you can't use white soapstones here. However, invaders or people summoned by red signs can kill off the enemy npcs and other invaders/red summons, which if nothing else will reduce the number of people you need to fight before moving on.

Keep in mind that you can't go through the boss fog until the invader is dead or leaves, so whether or not they let you go without a fight is up to them.
does burning a bonfire ascetic make the enemies tougher
Yes sir
Time to waste human effigies

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 70.00
Hexers: *Autistic Screeching*
He sells 3, all you need
Does soul memory count in the dark chasm ?
Yes, it does.
No matter how many times I go back through the casams no darklurker and talking to wheels doesn't increase my rank
Light the fires
The very first phantom is Havel on a very small pathway. Great *****ing balance
Git gud and roll.
I have the same problem as the person from June 12th. I can't rank up and wheels is no help. I've done all the chasms several times.
I just encountered the Bug of not being able to rank up.. I think what caused is that when I met Grandahl the 3rd time, I replaced my current covenant for Pilgrims of Dark, he opened the portal, but I ignored it, boned out and rejoined my covenant.. When I wanted to kill darklurker and do the covenant stuff, I again replaced my covenant with Pilgrims at the gutter or gulch or w/e it is, entered portal (was still open), lit the flame, got out, I got the +1 rank.. Then I proceeded to light the flame in other two instances however I didnt rank up anymore, thus being stuck cos of the bug.. (All the flames were lit, I double checked) My solution then was to again replace pilgrims with another covenant, abandon the covenant via the cat in Majula and then rejoin the Pilgrims.. I checked the forest and drangleic instances, the flame was lit, but the flame for which I got the +1 rank, at the gutter or gulch or w/e guess what... It wasnt lit.. I lit it up.. Jumped the fog and Darklurker spawned.. I died (yeah fkin n00b), talked to grandahl, it progressed to +2, then I went to kill darklurker, and succesfully progressed to +3 Hope this helps to someone.. Again.. Replace covenant, abandon, join pilgrims, check all fires again.. GL HF