Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!

MichaelVash7886

Souls: 80.00
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Constantly games are boiled down to 7.9, 5.5, 4.7, 9.8, 8.5. The scores themselves end up being the most important part of reviews. Which if you think about it means that the score itself is more important than the reasons the game was given the score in the first place. Often you will see a thread, “I’m not buying a game if it gets below [insert score here].” And sometimes they go even further by saying if it gets below a certain score on a specific website, even for games they are excited to play. Why is this? A few ...
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
This is a good topic and a bit of an elephant in the room that needs to be discussed especially when so many bonuses for devs are tied to metacritic scores. Review logic is a bit of a beast and it's one we've wrestled with back and forth on the site as far as how to score, whether to score, etc.
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

XuitusTheGreat

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,814.50
Wiki Edits: 21
Nicely put article

Personally I don't read reviews. I look at trailers, gameplay demos, etc and decide for myself.

For some the security of the score makes them feel more comfortable in their choice of game.

I'm in the position that if I buy a $60 game and don't like it I will be disappointed. However, I won't be destitute.

For some the budget is a single $60 game or maybe two and they want to make sure they get the best or one of the top games.

Personally I think reviews are horribly corrupt and worthless, but that's besides the point.

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 2,871.50
Wiki Edits: 699
I'm looking forward to seeing the follow-up to your article for this! Admittedly, I've started to get a bit annoyed at most of the problems that haunt me when I check reviews out online so this was spot-on. At this point it's turned me off to going to most game reviewers for advice on games to play.
Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 7,782.66
Wiki Edits: 22
Personally, I kinda need reviews to help me. Unless I know a game is from a series that I would 100% enjoy regardless, I can't just blindly buy because I thought it looked cool in the trailers but then the final version was terrible. (Haze, watchdogs anyone?) I don't have the time, or the money to waste on a bad video game purchase.

Even if scores are inflated for some games, I don't think it is hard to tell which. If it is a game that is clearly mass market and relying on pure reputation alone without any real innovations (assassins creed, call of duty, Fifa, halo etc), you know you can ignore the reviews. However I think for most other games reviews are done pretty fairly, and while the scores are inflated compared to other medium (look at meta critic where the descriptive boundaries are 10% higher in gaming than in every other medium), I think relatively scores are done well enough for me to make buying decisions from them.
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon

Scar85

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 200.00
Bank: 11,584.00
in my line of sight - dont trust the typical Reviews from ign over meta over x/y-0815
just think of games like evolve for example which got good Reviews but seriously - who gave that game for the lack of Content.microtransactions etc etc that grades!?
most of the sites are just getting games for giving them a good grade/rate for getting next time another game from the developer/Publisher etc...
nobody talks about the lack of something, rates it down cause bugs or anything else - they just talk about "the good stuff" and tell you the Gold and rainbow side of it but ist not really a "critic" at all!

before i read such stuff i look PEOPLES opinion up on games and Reviews - like angry Joe on yt for example....

there are just a handfull of Publishers/developers i trust blind nowadays....like naughty dog....from soft.....devolver (Hotline Miami).....red Barrels (outlast)....and maybe Rockstar also if a new gta or maybe even red dead redemption 2 will Show up...
Bethesda i lost some trust into after F4 also...they could use besides a new and better/actual engine more stuff and not going more and more backwards from a normally good formula -.-'
being challenged let you grow and only the hard stuff, is worth the effort...
blindfolded bloodborne/dark souls 3 bosses and other stuff...
live - http://www.twitch.tv/scar85
YT channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbPZB1rkg2JzWVlufSZe7Q

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 7,782.66
Wiki Edits: 22
I have to say the thing that I dislike about reviews are they don't tell you how much money you can expect to pay for the full game once they've finished releasing it.

I mean, evolve shouldn't be bought anyway. I think having a strong policy of thinking that below 80 aggregate= don't buy is a fairly solid mindset

I agree though. I remember skyrim coming out on consoles to rave reviews .. It was a buggy mess. I remember after firing up a new PS3 after my old one died that skyrim caused it to freeze in the opening cutscene in the cart on the way to the execution. Literally within 30 seconds.

I also think lack of content needs to be addressed in reviews too. Be honest about whether we are buying the full game, or if you're going to spend the next 1-2 years buying the other half of the game you weren't given (destiny/battlefront) on release.
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 375,317.49
Bank: 8,962.71
Wiki Edits: 31478
Can we all agree that my reviews are awesome? Yes? Yay :cheers:

Seriously though: great article @MichaelVash7886 !
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Scar85

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 200.00
Bank: 11,584.00
fex confirmed awesome :P

but seriously most Reviews lack or reviewing and showing everything the good AND ALSO the bad sides of a game...
thats why i dont trust them and look out for People like angry Joe or total biscuit for example with "lets look at" stuff etc...or i simply go into streams and ask the streamer what he thinks... (if ist a dull fanboy you get screwed also...BUT....normally you should know a fanboy if you talk to him :rolling eyes: )
being challenged let you grow and only the hard stuff, is worth the effort...
blindfolded bloodborne/dark souls 3 bosses and other stuff...
live - http://www.twitch.tv/scar85
YT channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbPZB1rkg2JzWVlufSZe7Q

XuitusTheGreat

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,814.50
Wiki Edits: 21
Serious_Much wrote:I have to say the thing that I dislike about reviews are they don't tell you how much money you can expect to pay for the full game once they've finished releasing it.

I mean, evolve shouldn't be bought anyway. I think having a strong policy of thinking that below 80 aggregate= don't buy is a fairly solid mindset

I agree though.I remember skyrim coming out on consoles to rave reviews .. It was a buggy mess. I remember after firing up a new PS3 after my old one died that skyrim caused it to freeze in the opening cutscene in the cart on the way to the execution. Literally within 30 seconds.

I also think lack of content needs to be addressed in reviews too. Be honest about whether we are buying the full game, or if you're going to spend the next 1-2 years buying the other half of the game you weren't given (destiny/battlefront) on release.

Well honestly that's expected

Bethesda games are always a buggy mess and especially their elder scroll games. At least in today's world bugs can be patched out. Back when morrowind was the newest elder scrolls game those bugs stayed, unless you played on pc.

BTW the man running on top of a moving horse bug is in ESO.... at this point I think it's on purpose

If any review said it wasn't gonna be buggy... it was telling a giant lie

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon