Not
A
Number

Be sure to post pics when you hit an enemy for PIE damage

Edited by thegreateski, 18 December 2009 - 04:07 AM.

Yep, my defense is listed as (Blah)+NaN when my Combat Magic is inactive, and (Blah)+(Number) when it is active. Has something to do with reloading a save while Combat Magic is active, or something.

Far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything (negative or positive), but it is an annoying interface bug.
anyway to get rid of it?

Sloth Of Doom wrote...

Tsabo_22 wrote...

i have this problem with my leveling. says i need 0- NaN to get to level 26

Almost like the game is capped at levl 25 and thre is no way to get to 26 without cheating?

The game is capped at Level 25, unless you edit 2da files.

NaN? I haven't heard of it before... Must be a bug. It sounds like a fallback for number errors, but what causes the initial error evades me.
This happened to me as well. No way to get rid of it, excepting starting a new character.
I had this issue with my Defense score and got rid of it as follows: Save game with NaN displayed for Defense, get the Dragon Age Toolset, load the savegame into the toolset, go to SAVEGAME_PLAYERCHAR -> SAVEGAME_PLAYERCHAR_CHAR -> SAVEGAME_CREATURE_STATS -> SAVEGAME_STATLIST -> 9. This entry should relate to the Defense score. In my case it was:

SAVEGAME_STATPROPERTY_BASE = 40
SAVEGAME_STATPROPERTY_MODIFIER = -1.09E-06
SAVEGAME_STATPROPERTY_INDEX = 10

Things to note here are fist of all that the SAVEGAME_STATPROPERTY_INDEX = 10. This is probably what identifies the entry as the Defense score. I suspect it might not always be at position 9 in the list. The second thing is the modifier is a (small) negative number. Looks the result of a rounding error to me, which for some reason gets displayed as NaN in the game. I fixed the problem by setting the modifier to zero.

Edited by Melissa Cousland, 10 January 2010 - 01:02 AM.

I think this has something to do with spell wisp or spell might or other abilities that increase your stats temporarily. I recommend unequipping all items and re-activating the sustained abilities. The numbers may change overall as well due to the fact that the game uses floats internally that are then rounded to the next natural number (integer)

WRFan wrote...

I think this has something to do with spell wisp or spell might or other abilities that increase your stats temporarily. I recommend unequipping all items and re-activating the sustained abilities. The numbers may change overall as well due to the fact that the game uses floats internally that are then rounded to the next natural number (integer)

I agree with this statement, as it only started happening to my arcane warrior after i learned spell might.  Whenever spell might was deactivated it would appear and go away as soon as it was activated.
I have this often with defense ratings or armor, but it doesn´t matter AT ALL. It only looks bad, but even that is fixed once you have a modifier for the affected thing, even if it´s only 1. Basically, it says your stat is not modified.
Just noticed this one myself (defence)