Comments posted to our Dark Souls 2 Wiki
By Anonymous
I don't know I just love him
By Anonymous
They're both bad guys, but Pate is just trickier about his evil intentions than Creighton. Pate makes you think he's a stand-up guy because he warns you about a couple of traps the first two times you encounter him. What a great guy, right? But he'll give you things that put you in harm's way, like his ring and armor, which makes you either A) Look like him, which implies he hopes Creighton will kill you instead, or B) Look like you're a friend of his, which once again puts you into conflict with Creighton.

And at the end of it all, if you side with Pate, he shows his true colors. He's no saint, he just manipulates you into helping him deal with Creighton and then once he's done with you, he sends you off to the trapped chest to die.
By Anonymous
What I don't really get is the love for Creighton. Is it just his looks/voice? None of them actually do you any harm and as far as Pate goes, he always warns you of the dangers If you fail, well, he can loot your gear. That's what you do from all the bodies you encounter anyway. He also gives you soapstone and his spare set, once again warning about someone after him. Maybe scummy, but never directly harmful. Sort of a game.

And I choose to believe Cale on Creighton. So most likely that *** nearly got himself killed being greedy and tried to vent that on Pate, who, obviously, warned him beforehand. And got himself outsmarted again. His mannerisms and description imply that he get aggressive the moment something goes wrong, very fitting for a bandit knight. I doubt he'll give you the same advice on discretion as Pate.
So all in all, Pate seems like a more dependable guy.
Honestly, I'd rather talk some sense into them anyway, rather than pick one to kill, this is just stupid though.
By Anonymous
Agreed. Creighton is definitely the bad guy here. Pate straight up tells you there's a trap ahead, don't know people think he's the bad guy. After the fight, if you speak to the map guy on the library in Majula, he mentions he's also from Mirrah and there was a muderous knight who escaped just before execution. He says he thought he saw him here, and that his name started with something like "Cray". So yeah, Creighton is a murderer and is just trying to kill Pate. He also mentions when you first meet him that he was laying a trap for Pate first, but got caught in one instead.
By Anonymous
I know he's a crazy psycho, but damn, his voice makes my pp harder than the steel of his blade
By Anonymous
pate is the serial killer who switched gear and left his old gear and creighton decided to wear it (the descriptions notes its not his original armor) now but pate made the mistake of keeping the ring, they are both from the same area because they have the same accent but creighton is never malicious towards the player while i cant say the same about pate who tricks you twice, with the fact that pate says "that will leave a nice scar" and creighton says "that will leave a nasty scar" pate definetley stands out as the one who is psychotic and enjoys suffering as well as him being the one who is winning the fight just goes to show he has more fighting expierience than someone who even walks from battlefield to battlefield as creighton does
By Anonymous
The description of Creighton's mask in DS3 would seem to contradict that, saying

"Attire of Creighton the Wanderer, a notorious deserter who fled an order of Mirrah Knights.

Despite the mask's being a symbol of a criminal sentenced to death, Creighton never removed it."
By Anonymous
False. Creighton is the murderer. Along with the DS3 info mentioned by the other person, you can also find out in DS2. After the fight, if you speak to the map guy on the library in Majula, he mentions he's also from Mirrah and there was a muderous knight who escaped just before execution. He says he thought he saw him here, and that his name started with something like "Cray". So yeah, Creighton is a murderer and is just trying to kill Pate. He also mentions when you first meet him that he was laying a trap for Pate first, but got caught in one instead.
By Anonymous
In the end we find out that both Pate and Creighton were lying to the player in some way. Even the armor they both wear is hinted at being either looted from someone else or fashioned as an imitation. Creighton's choice in armor and weapons and lack of shield would hint that he may be trying to imitate Shieldless Lothian of Forossa. But after what we see of him in DS3, I think that it isn't just some costume he decided to use to hide his identity. We see just how much grit and determination he is capable of. I think that he may actually want to aspire to the legend of Shieldless Lothian, as Forossans are commonly seen as more brutal and bloodthirsty, especially compared to the knights of Mirrah and their reserved, conservative fighting stance. It explains Creighton's motivations and personality much more than just a falling-out with Pate.
By Anonymous
from looking at the details of the encounters with Pate, it seems to me that creighton might be a misunderstood (but suffering from some kind of mania) knight or a man who wants to be one- who in his rage from being bamboozled and tricked by pate seeks his blood. He doesnt seem to want to harm you and never makes the attempt to without you being initially aggressive. He does show you to the chest if you save him, but I think he doesnt actually 'Intend' to hurt you, but only has a morbid fascination with pain saying the same line "Ooh that will leave a nasty scar."
I think Pate is the murderer, who abandoned his gear previously and gained the trust of Creighton who might've recognized him. Pate seems more of a Silver Tongued Devil type who lulls people in with his velvety voice and honeyed words only to kill you and strip your corpse. A sort of mix between the murderous intent of Lautrec and the Slickness of Patches with a voice of an angel.
By Anonymous
They say different things :
Pate : "Ooh, that'll leave a nice scar!"
Creighton : "Ooh, that'll leave a nasty scar!"
By Anonymous
Creighton is the tarnished. #eldenringlore