Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

There is a big difference between "balancing" and "nerfing" that ppl doesn't seem to get.

Balancing a weapon requires not only testing from the devs's part, but also comparing with the weapon's counterparts or similar weapons. And after that data testing, either tweak the weapon accordingly by increasing or reducing it's properties in order to put it at the same ground to the other options available in the game, or buff their respective counterparts to give whoever confronts the weapon a chance to fight back.

Nerfing a weapon is reducing it's properties without even a proper reason. 3 or 4 ppl complains about it, it gets nerfed to oblivion and then utterly forgotten by both the devs and the community. No testing, no real changes aside from damage, nothing. 3 complains and right into the trash can. The worst thing abput nerfing is the meta they generate, like the absurd magic damage from a crystal infused flamberge, wich is ultra tier and obtainable way sooner in the game.

What this weapon got with the split physical damage (69 physical, wich is 69 less of magic damage) was a huge nerf. If you ever think this is balanced, your senses are in worse shape than oceiros's.

Sakerift

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 55.00
At the same time though, it was overpowered in both of the previous games and saying that it wasn't tells me you probably didn't use it or see it much. I'm not saying I agree with the changes made to it, I think there were better ways of doing it but SOMETHING needed to be done and SOMETHING was done. Also, it wasn't just 2 or 3 people who thought it was too powerful but that's honestly not the point. It was too powerful in DS2 because it could be infused either for mixed damages (though no reason to since it had no physical) or with Magic for an S scaling. Let's not even talk about the hit boxes of that thing in that game and it was somehow even worse in the first. Point is, there were a lot of things that made the moonlight really powerful. Splitting the damage was one way to handle that even though I'd rather see it just have a lower scaling and lower damage but keep the single damage. However, I can not say that a nerf wasn't justified and I say this as someone who used it in both 1 and 2 because Sorcery are my preferred spells and I go all in on Sorcery on at least one playthrough. Moonlight has always been a weapon I've held dear.

You are playing a strange and unnecessary semantics game here though. The act of balancing something in a game by weakening it is by definition nerfing that thing. This is what the word nerfing means. Whether you or everyone else consider a nerf justified or not odes not change what the word means. Please don't try to change the meaning of a word just to fit your opinion or personal beliefs. It comes off as quite dishonest.
"You are playing a strange and unnecessary semantics game here though. The act of balancing something in a game by weakening it is by definition nerfing that thing. This is what the word nerfing means. Whether you or everyone else consider a nerf justified or not odes not change what the word means. Please don't try to change the meaning of a word just to fit your opinion or personal beliefs. It comes off as quite dishonest"

Seems like the only line you 've read in the balancing part of that text was "reducing it' s properties" to me. What the op said is more complex than the half assed solution they came up with, and is no justification as a cristal flamberge still one-shots ppl out there.
Nerf
My last comment was an error, nerf is always a bad thing. As OP said, nerf something will 99% of the time finish by killing the thing, because the thing go from top tier to bottom tier and is forgotten by everyone expect the fans.
That's why asking nerf is a proof of ignorance regarding game design.
Balancing however is way more complicated to do because the objective become "how can I nerf ths sh*t and make it still playable and competitive". You have to work on the problem (the weapon is Overpowered) and then check that your solution works, and see what are the consequences. Good example comes from card game or MMORPG (the good ones of course): When a new classe/weapon/card comes out and it's broken, devs balance the thing. They wait a little and discovers that the balancing create another broken combo, and they do another balance. It's a very long cycle of "insert idea --> watch how it go --> Correct the EZ overpower by inserting an idea --> restart".
One answer is very cheap and fast but it kills the aspect of the game you created in the first place. The other take some times, cost more money, but in the end you don't lose a chunk of your game.

I think From Software choose the first option, I can understand, they are not a studio who live through multiplayer and balance patch. But when you think about it, they trashed their only weapon present in all of their soulsbornes games, only because 10 crybaby were complaining for the multiplayer (because you know, Dark souls has Esport and balancing the multiplayer is sure a necessity, oh wait this sentence was full ******* !), it's sad for them to have so few personnality.

And the most stupid **** is that you have a soul boss greatsword base on magic, but all other greatsword can challenge (when they don't overcome) her with an infusion (same raw damage output/better scaling). But there are still people who are here "No I don't see the problem, it's perfectly logic From Software was 100% right on this point"

BTW still the better weapon of the game, cosplaying Ludwig with her is so satisfying
This is actually what Miyazaki's pp looks like
so you admit you sucked his cuck
yes

Guardianxd

Souls: 50.00
This weapon deals 413 to 430 dmg to lothric knights with full upgread with 60 INT
You can kill them in 3 hits
Not recommended for pve tho u are better off with crystal soul spear
"Why are you even here?"

-Crystal Flamberge
MLGS is so wack in DS3 holy moly
Oh, how we had such high hopes for you after Bloodborne. How you could've been so good. But, alas. 'twas not to be.

Lotla

Souls: 50.00
If you parry the weapon art, do you still receive the damages from the vortex?
It's cute that everyone here wants to cope so hard with the fact that this weapon is bad and is only in the game to continue legacy.
lol kill yourself
Curse you Bloodborne!!!!
If Elden Ring doesn't do the MLGS justice I'll break into Miyazaki's home and steal his entire stash of feet pics