Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

I spent 9 hours on this boss and have been close several times. The last time I tried, I summoned in an npc that was basically dead in 30 seconds. So here I was, stuck with a boss with more HP and more challenging without an npc. But I managed to keep my cool and finish him off. Anyone struggling, it is possible to do this boss! Do not give up!
One tip, do not summon the npc, they will die in a short amount of time and you will be stuck with a buffed boss
just a heads up, the black iron greatshield makes this fight a total joke
I’m using Havel’s Greatshield and I’m still having a tough time. Guess I have to git gud
Since people are still complaining about this boss, keep in mind that this is it. The final optional boss of not only the DLC, not only the game, but the final boss of Dark Souls as a whole. This is the final hurrah, the last challenge. Of course it's going to be hard, it's the close to Fromsoft's flagship series.
Pretty sure Gael takes that position, chronologically and thematically. Plus, if you look at Shira's questline, going to Gael before fighting Midir makes her invade as though you failed to kill Midir
10th of july anon. Shira invades either way; if you go for gael first or midir first. Although, you miss a dialogue+titanite Slab if you kill her when she invades before killing midir. like you said chronologically gael is last. Personally, I love that you can fight whichever boss first for NewGame+s. These bosses never get old.
I dont think you miss a titanite slab if you kill her invading before killing Midir, since she drops the Slab on her death in the invasion anyway.
gud
Winged knight twinaxes makes this fight a joke. Use refined infusion (golden pine resin if you feel like it) and crack that head open.
Awww, man. I am really disappointed by this boss after how much I've heard. Just finished Gael and had an absolute blast fighting him, one of the coolest fights in the game imo. I thought this fight was going to be the crowning jewel but it just reminds me of Nameless King's phase 1. It's not *as* bad in terms of camera but it comes close. 3 out of 4 of my attacks keep missing and I'm just no good with unlocked camera.
Kinda strange, I've never felt this way about any boss before. Everytime I would fail, I would want to try again right away. Now I'm sitting here, after only 5 attempts and I don't feel like trying. I guess I've played too much over the last week. I think this is where my journey ends, amazing game though.
I wish you dragon slayers good luck. Go make Ornstein proud!
I feel the exact same. Friede and Nameless King made me quite mad until I finally got them but this guy just seems straight up boring from his first attack on. Less than 5 tries and I already cant get myself to care to learn him anymore. Doesnt frustrate because he didnt motivate me to begin with, a first for me in any Souls game, too.
11 Jul 2020 18:31 again here.

I typed a long wall of text here about my strategy, that the wiki won't let me post. I just beat him in a very safe noob casual way. Basically, if you stay between his rear legs like you want to lick his balls you are kind of safe from a lot of his attacks and can take little slices from his feet. If you do that plus one hit on his head whenever you need to run back to him when he flies aways before you get back under him, you can actually do it eventually. Irithyll Straight Sword +5, Cloranthine Ring, Grass Crest Shield. Feel free to ask more details, I will keep looking here every day for a week.
Nice strategy, I mostly use lighting attacks to the head and give a decent amount of damage
11 Jul 2020 18:31 again here. I just beat him, the absolute noob casual way, the opposite way of what everybody suggests, with Irithyll Straight Sword +5. I tried Farron Greatsword +5 as well but it only does about double the amount of damage and costs a lot of stamina, is very slow and leaves you way too vulnerable after each swing. Basically I just kept running for 10 minutes straight, with the main goal to stay right under his rear legs. If you react quickly enough on him moving so much, you are actually kind of safe in that spot, from most of his attacks whatsoever. Some are tricky to time but you can basically dodge everything there, way easier than when you just stay in front of his head, as everybody suggests. Whenever he moves/attacks, roll or sprint to get back between his legs, try to stick right to where his balls would be, choose a leg and hit it whenever you are close enough. Only leave that spot when fire is coming. Eventually he will either breathe fire or stand still for a couple of seconds. When stays still, you can wail at him for at least 3 times. If you turn the camera to see him from behind you can anticipate when he does his next move and therefore even drain your whole stamina hitting him sometimes. I had Cloranthine Ring and Grass Crest Shield. When he breathes fire, run to the tail and do two swings. You will only hit half the time there on average and it only does a little more than 100 damage, so thats still incredibly difficult to pull off, because you get hit eventually. (In contrast to what everybody says, a lot of hi*****s are only very briefly telegraphed imo and need more than a single roll to get away from or through.) So in addition do that you have to try to hit his head once, whenever he gets away from you and you have been able to sprint back to him fast enough so that he is not yet attacking right away. Sometimes you can hit twice, but that made me take damage more than half of the time. One hit is usually safe, after that immediately sprint or roll back under him. Its very tedious and annoying at first and you have to manage to play it safe enough that your heals last long enough but at the same time aggressive enough that you hit the head when you get the chance. However this was the only way I was able to eventually not lose health continually faster than I could inflict damage. I still have the same opinion about him though, this is the stupidest boss in all Souls games, it does nothing but piss you off, in contrast to every single other boss in all of these games for me. I am not even much relieved, I am just glad that this guy is out of the way so I can finish the game without a stain on my pride. If you need more details for this safe way to beat him from a total casual feel free to ask, I will look here every day for a week. After that I probably won't be able to remember it good enough anymore anyway.
11 Jul 2020 18:31 again here. I just beat him, the absolute noob casual way, the opposite way of what everybody suggests, with Irithyll Straight Sword +5. I tried Farron Greatsword +5 as well but it only does about double the amount of damage and costs a lot of stamina, is very slow and leaves you way too vulnerable after each swing. Basically I just kept running for 10 minutes straight, with the main goal to stay right under his rear legs. If you react quickly enough on him moving so much, you are actually kind of safe in that spot, from most of his attacks whatsoever. Some are tricky to time but you can basically dodge everything there, way easier than when you just stay in front of his head, as everybody suggests. Whenever he moves/attacks, roll or sprint to get back between his legs, try to stick right to where his balls would be, choose a leg and hit it whenever you are close enough. Only leave that spot when fire is coming. Eventually he will either breathe fire or stand still for a couple of seconds. When stays still, you can wail at him for at least 3 times. If you turn the camera to see him from behind you can anticipate when he does his next move and therefore even drain your whole stamina hitting him sometimes. I had Cloranthine Ring and Grass Crest Shield. When he breathes fire, run to the tail and do two swings. You will only hit half the time there on average and it only does a little more than 100 damage, so thats still incredibly difficult to pull off, because you get hit eventually. (In contrast to what everybody says, a lot of hi*****s are only very briefly telegraphed imo and need more than a single roll to get away from or through.) So in addition do that you have to try to hit his head once, whenever he gets away from you and you have been able to sprint back to him fast enough so that he is not yet attacking right away. Sometimes you can hit twice, but that made me take damage more than half of the time. One hit is usually safe, after that immediately sprint or roll back under him. Its very tedious and annoying at first and you have to manage to play it safe enough that your heals last long enough but at the same time aggressive enough that you hit the head when you get the chance. However this was the only way I was able to eventually not lose health continually faster than I could inflict damage. I still have the same opinion about him though, this is the stupidest boss in all Souls games, it does nothing but piss you off, in contrast to every single other boss in all of these games for me. I am not even much relieved, I am just glad that this guy is out of the way so I can finish the game without a stain on my pride. If you need more details for this safe way to beat him from a total casual feel free to ask, I will look here every day for a week. After that I probably won't be able to remember it good enough anymore anyway.
I know that no one is going to believe me, but today I just beat dark eater midir on my first try. And it was the first time I’ve ever fought him. I had 45 vigor, 32 END and 40 dex and I was using sharp sellsword twinblades +10. I can’t believe it happened since I always see on the internet of just how much people struggle with him. Seriously though if u have high dex then I would highly suggest you use the strategy I did. Oh and I was embered for extra hp but I didn’t summon anyone.
Dex 40 STR 40, using farron great without thunder still do the job, it deal 300 above
I beat it in like 6 tries with Artorias' Greatsword. Deals about 400 per hit at +5. I had 30 STR and 30 DEX, but the fairly low stats were cancelled out because the sword deals bonus damage towards the Abyss
If you are having trouble, using the Black Knight Shield makes this boss fight way easier. I used that shield the entire game, and little did i know that it was also the best shield against this guy. It's quite light (compared to the Black Iron Shield) and it has quite the stability.
If you have a mage build, try using Great Magic Shield on this to completely nullify every damage he can dish out to you.
This Boss is quite easy to dodge (besides hes Fire Breath that halves/oneshots your HP bar), so using the BKShield it's a must if you are having problems with hes Fire Breath.

Depends on what you have more problems with.. Black Knight Shield has better lightning and dark absoorption, but Dragon Crest Shield has way better fire and magic absorps
Dragons are supposed to be weak to Lightning, its in the Lore at the beginning of the first game, and yet Lightning never seems to do enough damage to call it a weakness.
Thats because Lightning (or magic in general for that matter) sucks *** in this game. Unless you go full anorexic glass bone goat. Then its "ok"
He IS weak to lightning... comparatively. Just has insanely high resistances across the board.
Midir does NOT have a weakness to Lightning. At 60 INT/60 FTH, Lightning Arrow does 300 damage, while Crystal Soul Spear does 297. Did anybody test this before writing this wiki?
That's just because crystal soul spear and lightning arrow don't do comparable damage. Sunlight spear would be a much better spell for comparison. I've tested using different (resin) buffs, and lightning is the best.
He DOES have a weakness to lightning, it's not that noticable, but if you somehow got pure lightning damage at the same AR as a weapon with pure physical damage, the lightning would deal a fair bit more. Same goes for resins
I got 225000 souls from killing Midir on ng+