Discuss Code Vein, Bandai Namco's Action-RPG!
Visit the Code Vein Wiki

app13533d

Souls: 188.00
Wiki Edits: 20
The Beta has lessened my anticipation for the game unfortunately. The greatest challenge for me was not the opponents- who are push-overs compared to even the early stages most Souls-likes- but the screen cluttered with HUD elements, too-long enemy death animations & also in most interior areas, the AI companion following you obscures your over-the-shoulder POV- particularly if they're equipping a large weapon. To me, the character models look larger than or the camera is closer to them than most Souls-likes.

There are things that can be done to mitigate all of these issues- eg. have the option for smaller HUD elements for larger displays & move them closer to the margins, or remove what you don't need; and make your AI companion transparent when in proximity or include the option to move the camera POV further behind- and dare I say, higher difficulty settings :P 

But I'm not confident these will considered or implemented even after launch... no option was given for this kind of feedback in BN's follow-up survey. I won't be getting this on release now, but may revisit it on sale later.

app13533d

Souls: 188.00
Wiki Edits: 20
Also, the Blood Codes (interchangable classes) seemed pretty extraneous in the Beta. There was no reason for me to change my class to overcome any obstacle- because the opponents were push-overs- though I imagine that some further levels in the full game may call for that.

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 8,246.50
Wiki Edits: 277
So, allow me to refute this.
1: Cluttered Hud: I don't think it's even close to being cluttered. Let's compare it to Dark Souls.

Code Vein: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z82jcxG ... :1908x1073):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16217345/Boss_Battle.png

Dark Souls: https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media ... llow01.jpg

Code Vein condenses health, stamina, focus, items, and haze down to the bottom left corner. Then it's got your gifts and ichor on the bottom right. Your companions are on the mid right, with your status effects on the bottom. Boss health at the top when it matters. It's only got a few more elements than the Dark Souls one, which is pretty minimal. I'd say that makes Code Vein low to average. If that's really that big of a deal for you than I don't know what to tell ya.

2: Too-long enemy death animations: What does this even mean? The enemies dissolved into embers within two seconds.

3: AI companion blocking view: This honestly sounds like a personal problem. How is this different than a Dark Souls phantom? And couldn't you just angle the camera higher to see over them? Even then, you could simply bring Louis or Mia so their weapons don't get in the way. Or even don't take a companion at all if it bothers you that much.

4: Close Camera: God Eater, the dev's previous games, has an option to change camera distance so there's a good chance Code Vein will too. Fingers crossed, yeah?

5: Difficulty: Yeah the tutorial area was laughably easy, but did you go to the challenge area and face the final boss there? Just getting to the mid bosses required facing tough enemies; often several at a time. Also, the Queen's Knight and the Blade Bearer bosses were very difficult fights, even when over leveled.

Extra: I'm not sure you're meant to change your Blood Code a bunch. I think you're meant to pick one that suits what your fighting style and stick with it; taking gifts from other classes as you progress through the game. The reasons you can swap them out at will is so you can try new things and maybe find one you like even more.
Slayer of Demons,Inquisitor,Ylissean Tactician,Kindred Hunter,Gray Warden,Dark Lord,Good Hunter,Chosen Undead,Nerevarine,Exile,Mugunghwa Investigator,Tremere Anarch,ESPer,Squad 7 Hero,Nohrian Prince,Arisen,God Eater,YoRHa Android,Tenno,Hope's Peak Dropout

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 8,246.50
Wiki Edits: 277
https://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/uplo ... 142526.jpg
Looks like the Code Vein picture link broke. Here's a different one.
Slayer of Demons,Inquisitor,Ylissean Tactician,Kindred Hunter,Gray Warden,Dark Lord,Good Hunter,Chosen Undead,Nerevarine,Exile,Mugunghwa Investigator,Tremere Anarch,ESPer,Squad 7 Hero,Nohrian Prince,Arisen,God Eater,YoRHa Android,Tenno,Hope's Peak Dropout