Discuss FromSoftware's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Visit the Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Wiki

Beware; he ran himself off the cliff and I didn't receive a prayer bead...
Reset the area. He’ll respawn.
I don't know if anyone has already posted this but I found a very easy way to beat this guy without any special tools. Once you sneak round behind him and get a backstab to remove one deathblow run back up the stairs towards the tower and wait for him to follow you. Once he has followed you most of the way up the stairs jump off them and hide beside them. You are completely safe here though he will continue to spam attacks in your direction. When you feel it is safe jump once and slash twice, it's painfully slow, but you will wittle his health down, eventually you'll be able to death blow him again, this is the hardest part ... And it's pretty easy, just jump up and rebound off the wall to get on top of the stairs then just line up the red dot of awesome death and cut away. Enjoy your bead :)
I accidentally found out that the basic attack from the Loaded Axe interrupts his winding up attack. The "flourishing" he starts doing previous to his three hit combo that usually won't stop no matter how much you attack him with your basic katana.
They sure do love that spear. . .
A really fun way to fight this guy in NG+ is to clear out all the people below but the one samurai guy facing the wall at the bottom of the stairs, then puppeteer ninjitsu him and fight him 2 on 1. You could even do that in a first playthrough if you wait long enough in the game to fight him. Pretty much as close as we can get to a DS summon in Sekiro.
If you continuously press circle to dodge into him, then almost all of his spear moves move below you, so it’s easy to kill him if you sneak up behind him and take out his first deathblow, then destroy his posture and attack whenever you have an opportunity.

Darknessconsumes

Souls: 96.00
My bad, I didn't see that you said the same thing already. But this is 100% the best way to fight him.
I jumped on the tree branch to the left and used the spear to drag him onto it, he instantly slide off to his doom.

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 70.00
The amount of invisible walls where you fight him make the battle *****ing laughable. If you keep him on the stairs, BOTH SIDES are invisible walls, along with how small and restricted the room already is, and how many grapple points there are to run and get a breather. Only difficult thing about him is his long chain that breaks posture in the first few hits and his ability to counter the Mikiri Counter till his posture is near breaking.
I fought him for the first time last night and landed 2 consecutive mikiri counters on him and it did nothing. Now I know why.

Darknessconsumes

Souls: 96.00
You guys don't need to do all of this cheesing and stuff. All you gotta do is dodge INTO him on pretty much everything. His spear's range works against him this way. The tactic with the axe works too, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're doing a speedrun. Fight him legit, it's more rewarding.
So.... where are the remaining 6 of the seven spears of Ashina?