Discuss FromSoftware's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Visit the Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Wiki

I’m on my second play through, and I just got to the ape idol. I don’t have the mortal blade on me. Is it possible to kill the second phase of the ape without the mortal blade?
Yes
You stab the centipede with the normal sword, not the mortal blade, even if you have it. It is probably done this way so you can encounter the boss again later in the game. Then at the second encounter the mortal blade will be used for the final deathblow.

Orkwurm

Souls: 405.00
Wiki Edits: 68
added some detailed high-res pictures! I really love this boss! especially the second phase!
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
Boy, this boss sure was WYALD, huh?

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 70.00
I died about 13 times to his second phase before putting two and two together and realizing that Loaded Spear was his weakness. I thought that it’d pull his spine out for an instant kill, but damn, I wasn’t too disappointed
Jsyk, the Sculptor refers to the previous owner of Kingfisher as “he.” “When he’d blow through that ring, it would fill the valley with a somber melody…”

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

English translation error because the Japanese uses an ambiguous noun in that line
So, nobody got an idea how that sword got stuck in him in the first place? seems to me like someone ("something" probably seeing the size of that sword) fought the ape and ended up dead but managed to stick the sword in it's neck. I think a piece of the lore is missing here...
I think it was meant to just be a battle scar type thing, to show the age and experience of the formidable beast as well as set up phase 2 as a pleasant suprise

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

Well judging by***** we’ve seen Shinobi like Owl swing around, it’s likely that Kingfisher stabbed the ape through the neck and, much like we did, said “yup, it’s done for” before she was devoured by it coming back
OR he was just stupid, felt the tingling in his body and tried to scrat ch it out himself. Probably going to get Downvoted for this one

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

Would’ve been nice if they gave us a checkpoint at the “Shinobi Executed” message instead of having us fight an only slightly weaker version of the same boss after the molestation we suffer in Phase One, but hey, “git gud”

Maxinimum17

Addicted
First Warden

“Git Gud and waste Divine Confetti”
You will never not notice that phase 2 Guardian Ape moves like a centipede. I feel bad for whichever dev had to program that.
Lore Theory: Notice how the howl attack is telegraphed by the Headless Ape holding his severed head against the stump of his neck. This gesture is very similar to how the Finger Whistle is used and causes Terror build-up. I think that this works like a reverse Malcontent Prosthetic Tool where the voice of rage is so powerful in the Ape's open neck that it harms living things.
Oh, you thought being killed by a chicken was embarrassing ? Wait till you get***** on and farted to death