Anything without a home!

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,510.50
I've been playing a good part of the day, managed to get into the Hiriata Estate and explore that a lot, downed the general that was giving me issues after throwing a ton of ash into his face, and got to the Ogre boss, who is teaching me how to but get grabbed.

I think the game has clicked a bit for me now, still have issues getting the parry/whatever timing down, but it's improving.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,952.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Lich180 wrote:I've been playing a good part of the day, managed to get into the Hiriata Estate and explore that a lot, downed the general that was giving me issues after throwing a ton of ash into his face, and got to the Ogre boss, who is teaching me how to but get grabbed.

I think the game has clicked a bit for me now, still have issues getting the parry/whatever timing down, but it's improving.

Few tips I could part with that have helped me with general combat/bosses:

~Get used to ignoring an enemies health bar. focus posture bar instead.

~Most enemies/bosses in the game can be beaten via just deflecting a lot. It's only a few notable exceptions in the entire game where deflecting alone will not get you a win.

~You can cancel attacks by inputting blocking before the swing is fully out. Because this is a thing try not to spam R1. As you will que moves and mess yourself up.

~Get suppress presence, Chasing slice, and miri counter/shinobi eyes, breath of life light skills asap. Surpress presence makes stealth far easier which you want because of how powerful it is. Most mini bosses can have one of their health bars removed via stealth. Chasing slice because shuriken is the best general use prosthetic in the game. Great for keeping enemy posture paused, lets you back/side step and get back in the fight on a boss easily, good at interrupting some attacks. Miri/shinobi eyes are super important because many enemies use thrust based perilous attacks and it helps you build posture a LOT quicker. And breath of life effectively extends your life without needing to rely on gourds outside boss/mini boss fights.

~Learn to "stance dance." Or basically spam block. Makes you pretty safe and can even give you some accidental deflects. Just don't do it too much. Late game enemies do a lot of posture damage on blocked hits. Some even do posture damage when you deflect.

~Holding block and back walking brings your posture down super quickly providing your health isn't half or low.

~Finally never really greed for damage/posture damage. Even if you keep on your mini boss slaying game to boost your health bar to high amounts enemies will still kill you in around 2-3 hits late game. So it's better to have a fight last a little longer by being safer than having to run through a boss again.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Thanks for the tips, I've got quite a few of those skills already. Mostly because I get bored beating my head into a miniboss, so i end up collecting lots of experience and money.

The shinobi hunter in the Hiriata Estates was pretty easy with that mikiri counter.

It's kinda nice, taking my time and exploring the levels alone, without a phantom trying to speed run you to a boss. Reminds me of when I first started playing Dark Souls, before I realized how much I missed by not having the bloodstains and messages.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Lich180 wrote:Thanks for the tips, I've got quite a few of those skills already. Mostly because I get bored beating my head into a miniboss, so i end up collecting lots of experience and money.

The shinobi hunter in the Hiriata Estates was pretty easy with that mikiri counter.

It's kinda nice, taking my time and exploring the levels alone, without a phantom trying to speed run you to a boss. Reminds me of when I first started playing Dark Souls, before I realized how much I missed by not having the bloodstains and messages.

Shinobi hunter was the bane of my early game. Couldn't land the Miri counter for the life of me.

I didn't do much coop myself in my first runs though the souls games. So that's not new to me.
What is new to me is how much more the world feels..like a world? I guess. Though i'm thinking a part of that might be due to the fact that Sekiro has ambient music and combat music. Where as outside special areas and bosses souls games were quiet.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,222.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
qeter wrote:vampire the masqurade 2 has been announced, paradox interactive is developing it via their new Seattle based studio, current release date is q1 2020. i give them a 50% of bungling it up; but they do have the original lead writer.

I played the first one, got about 50-75% through it. For me it was good story and characters, bad........everything else. The combat is highly simplistic a sticky. Forum-Pirate once said it was as bad as Skyrim's, but for me, that's an insult to Skyrim. At least Skyrim's gameplay was fun. VM's is just bland, likely due to the lack of gear and enemy variety. As for the RPG side, My main issue is that, at least in my experience, it was highly unbalanced. You can build you character for stealth, combat, or social (Talk your way out of problems), but eventually, there will be cases where you can't stealth or talk your way out of things, and you have to fight, and there are some bosses and enemies that are just OP if you aren't prepared, and if you are unprepared, you better have a save before getting into the situation in which you have to fight them, otherwise you can't get out.

other times, it's the opposite, where being a fighter puts you at a great disadvantage, and stealth is preferable. If you aren't stealth focused, you'll likely botch it up, and be left with the participant medal.

Overall, I did not like any part of the game's gameplay, and it was the story that kept me going.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Lich180

Revived
Savior

BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:
Shinobi hunter was the bane of my early game. Couldn't land the Miri counter for the life of me.

I didn't do much coop myself in my first runs though the souls games. So that's not new to me.
What is new to me is how much more the world feels..like a world? I guess. Though i'm thinking a part of that might be due to the fact that Sekiro has ambient music and combat music. Where as outside special areas and bosses souls games were quiet.

The Mikiri counter seems to hit every time, as long as you dodge from a standstill. I don't even have the skill to extend the window for it, either. The window seemed pretty big, so it wasn't too hard to nail that first hunter. Maybe I was just jazzed from looking the general lol.

I do really like the way the world is built so far. It feels really natural, and there's a ton of stuff to explore and jump on and climb.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Lich180 wrote:
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:

The Mikiri counter seems to hit every time, as long as you dodge from a standstill. I don't even have the skill to extend the window for it, either. The window seemed pretty big, so it wasn't too hard to nail that first hunter. Maybe I was just jazzed from looking the general lol.

I do really like the way the world is built so far. It feels really natural, and there's a ton of stuff to explore and jump on and climb.

My problem at the time was I was inputting the dodge while strafing. Or I was too close. So I was dodging behind the person rather than into the attack itself. I can reliably land it now.
I only have one current problem with world design. Well two. Quite a few areas seem needlessly cluttered with nonsense that gets in the way making the camera useless when fighting a boss or mini boss. My second complaint is how Ashina castle was handled overall. It's basically the main focus of the game. Aside from poor performance on base ps4/xbox one (which not only includes frame drops but inputs not registering. the later being something that happens pretty much anywhere.) the game gets rid of your idol's twice through out the playthrough. Forcing you to refind them a total of 3 times the entire game.

It's not the biggest deal. But it's annoying. And on that note so is having to redo dialogues/cutscenes for some bosses when you fully die. I like a lot about Sekiro. But there is a lot about it that annoys me or frustrates me. Still have a few bosses to beat before my first playthrough is done. but I can't honestly see myself giving this game higher than a 7/10.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 94.00
Bank: 6,859.00
Wiki Edits: 5
i don't regret passing sekiro. i haven't seen any game play that made me reconsider my position as a generally hate my first play-through of from games.
been making this build in dks2, its pretty good. https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/78323

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,340.50
Anyone tried TES-Blades?
Wow. I didn’t expect much out of a phone game, but it’s so bad I can’t even believe it.
No stealth whatsoever. Hallway dungeon design.
Enemies come at you 1v1. Swing a few times and they die.
Dialogue is as basic as it can be without even a touch of the quirky TES flare that makes their NPCs enjoyable.
And my Breaton girl looks horrible. I’m not sure how they messed that up. Breatons have always had the cutest character models.
It’s almost as if someone at the top at Bethesda is purposely sabotaging their games. Idk. It makes my hopes in TES6 plummet.

Also picked up Sekiro (because a friend won’t stop telling me to).
It’s pretty good despite my lack of interest in playing it.
It’s nothing like Souls but obviously a FromSoft game. The stealth is fun and all that, but I’m just kinda burnt on the action/boss killing aspect of FromSoft games.

I’ve been busy with work ever since it release so I haven’t had a good chance to really get good at the combat. I’m told that if I give it the chance to ‘click’ then I will love it.

Oh well. I’ll get to play WoW Classic soon enough. I miss my old sub-rogue build and having dungeons that people can’t just steamroll.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

I saw a bunch of people complaining about Blades while ago, and it's about what I expected. Pretty much a junk mobile game sadly.

I'm not holding out too much hope for Bethesda, as every time they take a step forward they go 3 back (Fallout 76 starts improving, and they add repair kits for armor and weapons for premium currency).

Sekiro definitely takes some time to click, and I'm in the same boat as you, not a ton of time to play. I get a little bit to play, and run around and explore rather than kill bosses. Don't get many attempts in on a boss, because I don't have time to really learn them well, but the one main boss I have beat was pretty great. The English voice acting made it even better too.

I haven't heard much about WoW Classic recently, it would be something cool to get into but I don't think I want to corrupt my nostalgic filters with new experiences. Vanilla WoW was something unique and exciting, and I don't think any of the recent expansions have really been exceptional, compared to TBC and WotLK.