Comments posted to our Bloodborne Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

Tonsil in french is Amygdale.
Tonsil in Portuguese is amígdala, since Portuguese, French, Italian and etc... are all derivatives from latin, it is the reason it is almost the same for all of them.
Tonsil is actually "Dangerous." In latin.
All I see is a picture of the boss and the note at the end saying this isn't official canon. Am I supposed to click somewhere? Or is there no text on this page?

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Looks like someone went and erased all the text here. Users are allowed to upload their own lore theories to the site, so long as it's clearly marked as a user submitted theory. Erasing that is unnecessary, and actually rather petty. I'll go ahead and fix it.
I wonder if Amygdala is similar to Rom in that it protects secrets of some sort? "The spider hides all manners of ritual secrets...." At first, this seems to refer specifically to Rom, considering the note is found at Byrgenwerth, but do you think it's possible it might be referring to any spider-like creatures in the game? It's sort of strange that there are two instances of lesser Amygdalae (sounds better than "amygdalas" imo) transporting players to regions of the Nightmare. The black spiders in Mensis also seem to be protecting/hiding something, and same goes for the Wet Nurse, another creature with too many damn arms.

While I'm at it, I was also thinking about the relations between Great Ones and the Kin, and I realized that the Kin are often referred to as the "children" of the Great Ones, despite the Great Ones being apparently incapable of reproduction. Do you think the lesser Amygdalae are truly Great Ones? or are they, like the Celestial Larvae and the "Children" of Rom simply Kin enemies? For that matter, I'm rethinking what the Great Ones "losing" their children really means. Maybe it's not that they're infertile or impotent, but rather that the Great Ones disown their children for some reason? Are they for some reason disappointed that their "Greatness" is lost on their offspring? What sets Arianna's child apart from the other Celestial Larvae to legitimize it as an infant Great One? (Probably her relation to the Vilebloods and the Pthumerians, but what makes them so special?)

I know, it's a lot of question marks....

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 2,301.00
Bank: 63,356.50
Wiki Edits: 13528
Kin are referred to as "the brethren" of the Great Ones.
The correct quote is "The Byrgenwerth spider hides all manner of rituals".
So "spider"refers to Rom, even though Amygdala may be related as well (see Kin Lore).
I consider Lesser Amygdalae to be Great Ones.
I do this because there's little reason to bar them from the rather loose term - "Great One".
Shop IconShop Icon
What I think about the Great ones children: They yearn for a child after they lose their own so they probably wouldn't have given them up.
I'm not entirely sure about the lesser Amygdalae but I think that Rom, Ebrietas and perhaps The Celestial The Celestial Emissary where made into/ascended to semi Great ones because it does say that they are not true great ones. Micolash says ..."Ahh, Kos, or some say Kosm... Do you hear our prayers?
..." As you once did for the vacuous Rom, grant us eyes, grant us eyes. Plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our beastly idiocy."
I believe that Rom was a replacement for a Great Ones lost child as well as the Celestial Emissary and perhaps Ebrietas. It's known that at least Rom gained his power from a Great One and there is no real explanation as too why this happened apart from that he prayed to Kos. It is possible that Rom's prayers were answered and in return for "enlightenment" she was "turned" into a demi Great one to replace a lost child. I believe this could be the case for the lesser Amygdala's although I hesitate in saying that because they are identical.
(@Rakuyo) I know there's the note that reads "The Byrgenwerth Spider," but there's also a note IN Byrgenwerth, on the second floor on a sofa near the chest containing the first Student Uniform, that simply reads "The spider hides all manner of secrets, certain to reveal nothing, for true enlightenment need not be shared." It doesn't specify Rom whatsoever. Of course, this is found in severe proximity to Rom, but still, you yourself mentioned that the Gardens of Eyes that are also found in Byrgenwerth look more like Amygdala than Rom, and they're evidently following some other sort of arachnid Great One. I just wonder if spiders are more of a SYMBOL for secrecy, considering Bloodborne is way more allegorical than most people care to realize.

(@anon) You got a point there, and I kind of got ahead of myself, I think. However, I'm still confused as to why the Celestial Larvae aren't considered "Great Ones" if they are, indeed, children of Ebrietas (Ebrietas being their father, oddly).
(op again) Oh, and, I think I just realized something else--the Amygdalae might not be related to each other per se, but they all appear to originate from "abandoned coldblood." The Amygdalae look very similar to the mold that grows in blood in numerous regions of the Nightmare, and in fact, the Amydalan Arm is found in a pile of bloody corpses sprouting those same, alien-looking fungi, as if death and decay serves as a "breeding ground" for these creatures. Another observation, the white markings on the "greater" Amygdala look more like demarcations, like the peeling of bark from a tree. Dunno what to do with this knowledge, lol. Maybe it helps explain why Amygdala bleeds red blood, and why the lesser variants swarm Yahar'gul? Maybe they're just super blood-thirsty shrooms.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

(@op) That's certainly one of the dreamier thoughts I've heard about amygdalans: them growing like fungus from coldblood. Amygdala does have fungoid traits, though I would't claim that Amygdala looks similar to Tomb Mold.
The Amygdalan Arm would have to indicate that they grow "arms first", which is interesting but unsubstantiated.
The white markings appear on Amygdala's brain as well, which is inconsistent with peeling bark.
The Gardens of Eyes do resemble Amygdala, and they're both somewhat like Mi-Go.
Still, Amygdala's not Kin, Gardens of Eyes are Kin, which stands in the way of one simple explanation.
Shop IconShop Icon
I just realized today that Amygdala only has seven arms, not eight, meaning it has nine limbs altogether. The left side has three arms, while the right has four. It's the same for the lesser variants as well. Not sure if it matters, but I thought it was an interesting detail.
The way I like to think of it, Amygdala represents the fear that is USED by humankind to control each other. The Mensis ritual calls forth these creatures, perhaps incidentally, and they act in many places as the gatekeepers to prolong the ceremony. Only a person with remarkable will can penetrate this seal to reach the truth, as with the tonsil stone or the eye of a blood-drunk hunter. Mensis utilizes the Hunt to strike fear in the hearts of Yharnam, and simultaneously provides them with faith that the Mensis ritual is the key to salvation, when in fact it does nothing but provide the school with power over the city.
What about the theory that Amygdalas are products of the Healing Church experiments to create an artificial elder beeing? Their own god? (statues in the church, statue in Hypogean Gaol)

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that theory?
Shop IconShop Icon
Not too familiar with your own work? You provide some evidence of this in your article. "Byrgenwerth's garden is alligned with statues of mutating humans , some which much resemble Amygdala"
my main question is how there are multiple amygdala if (according to some item descriptions) all great ones are completely unique? I understand that there is a difference between lesser amygdala and the boss kind, but don't they all still count as great ones, meaning there shouldn't be multiple amygdala?
This always irked me too, like shouldn’t the celestial larvae and maybe the celestial emissaries all be considered Great Ones? But that implies Great Ones CAN have children, so what’s the point of all these human test subjects?