Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

Simply put, poise just prevents your attacks from being interrupted. The reason for this being a mystery for so long? People were over acclimated to the previous mechanics, and thought it'd apply the same in this game; a psychological glitch resulting from associative memory, and hardwired expectations that result in an inflexible ability to readapt. Previously, it just prevented any flinching regardless of whether you were standing, moving or attacking. And, considering the difficultly of Dark Souls, it was very important to memorize small mechanics to the point of instinct. Naturally, still packing the Havel's myself for the poise. But also making sure to not just stand still. Remember, only when your weapon starts swinging forward will it activate. And even then, it may be broken if a sufficiently powerful weapon hits.
Reason why poise was better in previous game (DS1 for most part) is that it prevented from getting stunlocked to death and allowed for more aggressive play, allowed to take risk like attempting a parry with out getting stunlocked immediately. What they should have done is limited the max poise on armor and add more defense for heavy armor to compensate the lost poise.
I feel like it would have been better if like. Getting hit by a super big weapon wouldn’t ALWAYS ensure a second hit. It really puts the entire game in favor of STR builds, since most DEX weapons can’t hold another player still for more than a single hit (except Farron GS or Carthus Curved GS, but those are still heavy weapons). Just once, I want to have fun with a weapon like the Crow Talons or maybe even a whip, but their short range coupled with their low stagger really reduces the odds of success against a longer ranged ultra. Balanced, my ***.
Dex is for ******
I think i actually knows why miyazaki nerfed ds3 poise. I mean, just imagine havels running with dark sword plus real poise, this would outdamage any kind of ugs/magic and plop
I wish poise was something more people actually understood. In DS3, poise acts to increase your ability to continue through your combo via hyper armor. So an example, if I'm using the Greatsword and I'm walking through one of its many combos and my opponents start hitting me with a sword, my poise determines how many of those hits it takes for my guy to stop walking through the combo. This is absolutely ESSENTIAL for strength builds. I always cosplay as Guts from Berserk and using the greatsword is impossible without a decent amount of poise, with my armor (which is fashion souls) and wolf ring +3, I can hyper armor through my combo against almost all PvP opponent's and most bosses. Invasions become a piece of cake when you know what to do with those hyper armor frames and the threshold it takes to plow through them.
My great hammer with the Dragonslayer set and the wolf ring +3 could easily counter that