Comments posted to our Bloodborne Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

Forgive me if I repeat anything you've already mentioned, but I feel impatient sifting through so many tangential thoughts. What I've ascertained from the Kin is that they seem to represent mystery/secrecy, as you said. From a literary perspective, the color blue also symbolizes these aspects, appearing in the sky, water, snow, stars, fog, the moon, Chalice dungeons, arcane attacks, and phantasms. In contrast, pale gold contrasts these azure hues at every turn. It appears in the blooming lumenflowers of the Research Hall, the decaying moon of the Hunter's Nightmare, in the blonde hair of the Vilebloods, in the flames emitted from the petrified mummies in Yahar'gul, from within the carapace of Amygdala, and even from dropped items. Stranger still, this color is repeated persistently throughout the Fishing Hamlet, especially in the flames emitted from dead phantasms, as well as the flame-spewing jars and bombs of the fishermen. To be blunt, this pale gold color appears to symbolize discovery and illumination, though in order for it to appear, the cosmos--the comforting tales of creation and promise of life everlasting--must be destroyed.

"Ironically, this is the very nature of insight, like when one licks one's own blood, only to learn that the taste is sweet." I've begun to understand what this implies: insight is the realization that humankind inherently possesses the knowledge of the Eldritch Truth, but it is merely forgotten. The Great Ones, what can only be described as gods, are mere inventions of the human subconscious in an attempt to give reason to their existence. The entire dream is naught more than a maddened hallucination, and the wondrous mysteries of the universe are slowly decaying as mankind discovers its own latent potential. For this reason, it's incredibly fitting that Bloodborne takes place toward the end of the Age of Enlightenment, when the influence of religion was quickly declining in the west, to be replaced by science and reason. Incidentally, the schism of Byrgenwerth and the Healing Church reflects this notion. Whereas Byrgenwerth, headed by Master Willem, promised to remain loyal to the Great Ones, and only to unravel their mysteries with affectionate care, Laurence and the Healing Church insisted upon more aggressive investigation, tapping directly into the blood in hopes of finally lifting humanity to its throne.

The connection between Kin and water is important to understand in these contexts. Like the color blue, water denotes the arcane, the cosmos, and the unknown. "Large bodies of water serve as a bulwark guarding sleep, and an augur of the Eldritch Truth. Overcome this hindrance, and seek what is yours." Most arcane attacks in the game produce tiny specks of blue light that appear either to be tiny stars or snowflakes, most noticeably the attacks utilized by Kin enemies, including Rom, the celestial mobs, and the Living Failures. Consumables like the Augur of Ebrietas, a Call Beyond, and the Blacksky Eye also produce this phenomenal effect. In fact, one of the first sights you come upon is the drifting snow descending upon Yharnam, and the precipitation only intensifies as you proceed into the Tomb of Oedon and up the steps into the Cathedral Ward. This snow is even present within the Grand Cathedral during the encounter with Vicar Amelia, and frost swirls from within Laurence's skull.

There are plenty other areas that prominently feature water or snow, one of the most important being the Research Hall of the Healing Church. Though not prevalent visually, water plays a major role in the Research Hall, where "the cerebral patients would imbibe water, and listen for the howl of the sea." The patients are likely designed with the defect known as hydrocephalus in mind, in which a child is born with an extreme buildup of water and cerebral fluid in their brain, preventing the skull from properly forming. The drinking of water also hints at the condition "water intoxication." Also known as hyponatremia, this ailment produces vivid hallucinations and confusion. Taking into the account the translucent black blood they exude, it's likely that the blood of the Kin is little more than water, further verifying it to be the very essence of the cosmos. It is the blood of their dead that nourishes the tower lumenwoods outside the Astral Clocktower, circling back to the theme of discovery. Perhaps Lady Maria took interest in these flowers and placed them on the grave of Kos and the Fishing Hamlet in a form of apology, in an attempt to restore what was lost to the victims of inquiry.

It's important to note that the lumenwood garden back in "present" Yharnam do not share this yellow color, most probably because these are only buds, and instead they glow an eerie blue aura. This is again symbolic of the unknown--a closed flower has yet to reveal its brilliance. Continuing from here, Ebrietas is discovered with her head bowed under a deep pool of crystal-clear water. Most believe her to be mourning or praying, but I've wondered for some time if she is also in fact drinking. As we know by now, "ebrietas" is Latin for "drunkenness." I believe this loops back to the condition of water intoxication. If water is the blood of the Kin, it appears Ebrietas is taking part in some form of communion, reciprocating the blood worship of the Vicars. As for the composition of Ebrietas herself, she bleeds the same fluid as the celestials and brainsuckers, yet is also capable of producing dark red blood from her head that induces madness upon whomever it touches. I believe that while Ebrietas drinks water, she possesses the ability to transform this nourishment into blood through some unknown pabulum, maybe to nurture her own children, as milk from the cow's udder. Though I suppose she doesn't mind the occasional Hunter for a snack....

And of course, water resurfaces as a powerful force in the Fishing Hamlet, and the "Bulwark Sea" beyond. "Ah, sweet child of Kos, returned to the ocean... Source of all greatness, a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, accepting of all that there is and can be." Under the dark surface of these waters, the Great One known as Kos once thrived. She was loved by the villagers of the Hamlet, for she provided for them the phantasms, which they humbly accepted as sustenance. They did not care to know what these phantasms were, nor where they came from, but chose to remain blind to Greatness, similarly to the Pthumerian Watchers of old, guarding Kos in her slumber. It wasn't until Byrgenwerth defiled the mysterious village and discovered Kos, a being easily associated with the Eldritch Truth, that she died, removed from her place below the waves. Her discovery is her death. Ignorance was her home, and when mankind unveiled their eyes, so began the decline of the Great Ones. The moon took on a ghastly gold color, becoming the ultimate symbol of humanity's melancholy enlightenment.

It's also unusual that many of the elemental rules constructed throughout the majority of the game are seemingly reversed in the Fishing Hamlet. Bolt damage does nothing to the peculiar snail women, but fire and arcane attacks are powerful against them. The Orphan of Kos

This discovery incited the anger of the Fishing Hamlet, an ethereal race now without their goddess. In a matter of centuries, the obsession with Greatness spurned the Beastly Scourge and the insatiable lust for blood. The Parasites within Kos were cultivated, and Byrgenwerth made off with a number of cosmic invertebrates, both of which are later inherited by the Healing Church. I've even gone so far to venture that the strange tentacle sprouting from the brainsuckers is a Kos Parasite, as it looks too dissimilar to a phantasm, and it appears these tentacles are a result of some form of operation judging from the stitched-shut surgical scar atop the brainsucker's cranium. Perhaps even Ebrietas is one of these Parasites, or the result of some experiment involving the Parasites. The name "Daughter of the Cosmos" is still awfully suspicious. It's also a mystery whether she has any connection with the Vilebloods and Cainhurst, the snow-driven castle on the Lake.

With all of this in mind, I wonder if the Kin are truly enlightened individuals, or if they are simply filled with knowledge they can't possibly process on their own. "Truth oft resembles madness, inaccessible to the dull of mind." "Making contact with eldritch wisdom is a blessing, for even if it drives one mad, it allows one to serve a grander purpose, for posterity." Could this imply that these beings known as the Kin are incapable of processing their own discoveries? And considering the Eldritch Truth only bestows purpose "for posterity," does that mean that their madness must first be translated, as you suggested at the very end of your post? If so, this would certainly help to round off my analysis of the pale gold and the nature of discovery.
***** I submitted it while editing the part about Orphan of Kos lmfao. Well, you get the idea.
Nice theory atleast but u shouldnt try to approach it from a Christian's perspective. The game is made by Japs who believe that demons r just evil spirits nothing more. No god or betrayal or envy his creation and stuffs like that. But hey I appreciate the efforts u put into this though

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,290.00
Bank: 60,774.50
Wiki Edits: 13071
Soooo, which passage do you take issue with?
Shop IconShop Icon
The game is dripping with Christian imagery and symbolism.
OHHH I get it, to be classified as Kin, the creature has to have once been human. That's why Amygdala, Moon Presence, the Brain of Mensis, Mergo's Wet Nurse, and the Orphan of Kos are not classified as such, despite their Kin-like appearance, which ties in nicely to my assumption that Ebrietas is actually an ascended human, just like Rom. Likewise, neither the fishmen of the Fishing Hamlet nor the snail women are considered Kin, despite their obvious relation to the Great Ones, because they are creatures from a transcendental plane of consciousness. It's actually quite similar to how beasts are only classified as such under the pretext that they were once human--rats, crows, snakes, and dogs are just plain old animals... only stronger...
So much reaching in this. Not every single word or aspect of a random enemy HAS to mean something. And not every word of flavor text or word combination HAS to be taken literally. Try not to read so hard into things. Sometimes a word choice was just one of many options the translators had at their disposal. Sometimes a move in a boss fight is just a video game mechanic. Don't make something out of nothing to try to find a correlation. it's still a video game, man.
It’s a souls game. Fromsoft is known for hiding significant lore in flavor texts and items. Just cause you don’t have to take everything in flavor texts literally doesn’t mean that it might not be significant to the story