Discuss Capcom's Monster Hunter World
Visit the Monster Hunter World Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

Do you have to pay for arrows or coatings? Is their a similar money/time sink associated with melee weapons?
You have unlimited base arrows and have to scavenge for plants that can be turned into coatings. The coatings vary from simply more damage to paralysis and sleep.

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 8,166.50
Wiki Edits: 277
The other anon is right about the arrows and coatings. As for money/time sink for melee, no, but you do have to sharpen them quite often. Fortunately, the item to do so, the whetstone, is infinite use.
Slayer of Demons,Inquisitor,Ylissean Tactician,Kindred Hunter,Gray Warden,Dark Lord,Secret Worlder,Good Hunter,Chosen Undead,Nerevarine,Exile,Mugunghwa Investigator,Tremere Anarch,ESPer,Squad 7 Hero,Nohrian Prince,Arisen,God Eater,YoRHa Android,Tenno
If the Teostra bow is going to be as powerful as always, full Teo alpha + Teo bow will be a very powerful set, with Latent Power, Blast Attack, Weakness Exploit and Special Ammo Boost (all max level). I imagine the Teo bow will have blast element, so you can see where that's going...
Problem is that blast isn't anywhere near as good as it was in older games, they nerfed the crap out of it.
Can Bows sever tails? I finished off a Rathian with a Dragon Piercer shot and I found the tail was cut off as I was carving it. I was alone, so there was no other weapons being used other than a blunt weapon used by my Palico. Just want clarification.

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Hm, it would seem so. Makes some amount of sense, seeing as all weapons in the game can ether sever tails or KO. Bows definitely can't KO so it stands to reason that they can sever tails.
Slayer of Demons,Inquisitor,Ylissean Tactician,Kindred Hunter,Gray Warden,Dark Lord,Secret Worlder,Good Hunter,Chosen Undead,Nerevarine,Exile,Mugunghwa Investigator,Tremere Anarch,ESPer,Squad 7 Hero,Nohrian Prince,Arisen,God Eater,YoRHa Android,Tenno
Pretty sure Arc Shot can KO

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Update: Arc shot can KO and normal shots can sever. I have done them both.
Original poster <----- After some experimenting, Dragon Piercer is the best at severing tails while that shot that fires a basket of metal spike balls can indeed KO a monster, but only if they're hit enough times. Monster that are highly mobile won't stay under the falling balls very long unless tired.
LBG and HBG can't sever unless they use slicing ammo
Haven't found anything easier to sever tails with. I line up DP directly from the back of a tail so it lands multiple hits in the tail's severable area. Even easier on something like an Uragaan with a fatass tail where you can hit it diagonally or from the side on the thick part.
Try want some clarification. When you're looking at bow stats and it lists various coatings, those coatings are the types that the bow is compatible with right? It is not suggesting that the particular bow has those coatings automatically built into the bow?
Yes, the coatings shown are the only ones avaliable to that bow.
This can be affected with skills such as blast function and the like, which give the bow access to said coating.

Hijane

Souls: 50.00
It's missing that u can charge up your Dragon Piercer. Just charge up a normal shot and use Dragon Piercer with the charged arrow

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

You can what now? I'll have to give this a try.
Can also charge up your R2+O to extend the time of your cluster shot
The mighty bow gem also affects the damage of both the cluster shot and dragon piercer if you fully charge them as well. Man mighty bow is just a must have isn't it?
the bazel alpha set gives all three level of draw affinity for increased bow damage plus it boosts blast damage and buildup so when paired with an awakening charm and archer's dance seems to make a potent bow build

xPredatorGodx

Souls: 80.00
Wiki Edits: 6
thats not how Draw affinity works, its referring to the act of drawing your weapon by attacking
How do I get to blazing arrow 2? I got all the materials for it but the tree doesn’t give me an option to upgrade from blazing arrow 1.. do I have to rank up my HR?
Might be a plus weapon meaning HR stuff is needed
Does anybody know if coatings override a bow's elemental damage? For example, if I apply blast coating to arrows fired by an ice element bow, will I only deal blast damage or will I deal blast AND thunder?

Hijane

Souls: 50.00
Coatings are ailments and not elements, they build up over time and trigger their effects like poisening the monster, paralyze them or cause an blast/explosion, so if u use a coating u deal the elemental damage + you can cause ailments
however, using for example paralysis coating over a blast "element" bow, will switch the effect, since its an aliment. This i know as far as my bow experience have led me to believe
With "Taroth Arrow Blast" as an example, that bow has innate Blast and can use a Blast coating, would activating the coating stack the ailment power from both sources?

Decryptic

Souls: 140.00
Wiki Edits: 16
My Bow (Dragonbone Bow) have 550 dragon dmg and hit Vaal for like 30 dmg each (no coatings), but if I add Paralysis Coating or Sleep Coating my dmg are reduced to 15 to 20 (no dragon element dmg). I think the element is only overriden if you don't use Close Range or Power Coatings.
there are no power coating 2 right???
and bow can't carry exhaust coating ?

Fallenangel700

Insomniac
Sinner

Ah, yeah, those don't exist anymore, sadly. I've removed them.