Anything related to Dark Souls!

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 2,189.00
Hi. I started with DS3 and am doing a blind DS1 Remastered run. I don't want any spoilers but have a few questions about gameplay mechanics.

What does kindling a fire do?
Does reversing hollowing have any effects besides cosmetic changes?
Should I be worried about weapons breaking/ is there a way to tell if they will?
Do rolls have the less I-frames than DS3, or is it my imagination?
How do I kick enemies with shields? I can't get it consistently.

So far I've beaten the tartarus Demon but am getting gang spanked in the Perish. I blazed through the first part of the game and still have my starting equipment. Should I look for better gear or git gud?
https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
VIP

Shadeon

Lifetime Subscriber
Adversary of Boredom

Souls: 4,327.50
Wiki Edits: 9
1: Kindling a bonfire yields more estus when resting at said bonfire.
2: You must reverse hollowing in order to summon other player/npc phantoms or kindle a bonfire.
3: This can be a problem if you neglect to repair your equipment regularly. Andre the blacksmith will sell you a repair kit so you can upkeep your stuff at a bonfire. You can check gear durability on the equipment stats display, also you’ll get a prompt when a piece of equipment is at risk of breaking.
4: Yes, ds1 has comparatively less iframes than ds3.
5: Simultaneously press R1 & forward on the analog stick.

Sidney_Losstarot

Souls: 19,935.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 2141
Rizen wrote:
So far I've beaten the tartarus Demon but am getting gang spanked in the Perish. I blazed through the first part of the game and still have my starting equipment. Should I look for better gear or git gud?

Well at this point of the game it's normal that you still have your starting equipment BUT you can get a cool armor set in no time if you want....
Go to Blacksmith Andre and take the stairs that leads to a room with a titanite Demon (leave him for now)
Proceed to the Darkroot Garden until you find a door with a glowing sigil (but do not care about that for now); now, with the door in front of you, turn on your left and hit the wall to reveal a hidden bonfire....rest and the take the narrow path in front of the bonfire.....enter the fog wall and run forward until you'll see an item on the ground...that is the Elite Knight Set, which is one of the strongest armor (at +10) in the game.....
Take care because in the area there are many Giant Stone Knights which can one shot you at your level....as soon as you have the armor you can leave the area, or you can explore it a bit....in the same area you will find a cool ring (Wolf Ring which adds 40 points at your Poise) and if you go to the Darkroot Basin (the lower area of the Darkroot Garden) you can find the Grass Crest Shield, which will constantly regenerate your Stamina
Last edited by Sidney_Losstarot on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,499.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
Weapon upgrading is critical in this one. Starting gear is fine to take all the way through the game (fine, not always ideal). Also of note is that ARMOR can be upgraded.

It doesn't sound like you've even reached Andre just yet and arguably this is the toughest stretch of the game blind. There's ways to get better gear, but typically you're looking at suicide runs to specific areas which I think kills the charm. When you find the blacksmith, it's worth your time to attempt to co-op the nearby boss(es) and get some spare souls. I'll tell you why but spoiler it...

He sells the most basic upgrade material. That will allow you to upgrade weapons and armor of many varieties right off the bat so you can experiment and see what you like. I recommend upgrading torso armor first if you need to make a choice as it makes the most difference. However, a couple levels across an armor set and you'll see a difference for sure. While some are easier than others, all upgrade materials can be farmed or bought later in the game so no worries if you're really interested in using something that requires special materials.

Also of note, buy the weapon and armor smith boxes from the blacksmith as they'll let you upgrade things to +5 on your own at any bonfire. This makes it easier to test out gear after you hit the road.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

How can I tell what stats I need to effectively use weapons? I'm not seeing any indication of how much strength or dex is needed when equipping weapons.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Achtpuntzes

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,651.01
Rizen wrote:How can I tell what stats I need to effectively use weapons? I'm not seeing any indication of how much strength or dex is needed when equipping weapons.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Press square on the weapon in your inventory menu, then u see stats/requirement of it.

Also good to know is that the humanity u holding (soft humanity) gives extra physical defence, 99 soft humanity will give you 99 extra defence.

You just doing PvE run, or do you want to PvP too? Darkwraith convenant can be totally missed in a blind run and even impossible to join. If u want to invade dont give an item called Lordvessel to Kingseeker Frampt. Instead, give the lordvessel to Darkstalker Kaathie (or what is he called?)

As for armor, i find the elite set a bit heavy, no fast roll then. There are some neat low weight armor sets in blighttown. Choose the key as starting gift, then u can go from start (firelink shrine) all the way down to get that stuff
If u looking for something bit more heavier, then i would advice to buy chain set from undead merchant in undead burg. Oh, if u kill him he drops uchikatana.
sl59 faith guy +8
sl42 luck guy +6
sl38 dex guy +5
sl20 +3
sl1 +2
no meta build

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

^I'm doing an offline run first.
Does the merchant in Undeadberg go away? I can't find him again.

What happens if I feed the serpent titanite? I don't want to accidentally waste it.
-Edmund Burke

Achtpuntzes

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,651.01
That merchant never goes away. Maybe you killed him? (he drops uchikatana)

The serpent breaks down titanite into lesser kind of titanite.
sl59 faith guy +8
sl42 luck guy +6
sl38 dex guy +5
sl20 +3
sl1 +2
no meta build