Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Now, I'm not going to pretend I know how all the damage bonuses add up, however, I can infer that most of them are addative. Let me explain.

A rogue/cypher gets + 35% backstab, +20% soul whip, +30% if you overpenetrate, + 20% if you crit (+40% if you crit with battle axes) and +25% from an attack. If these were multipliers then a 25 damage axe attack would deal 92 damage. Instead I get damage down in the 60s. Which means the damage bonuses are being added together, not multiplied. (now, I know there are some exceptions, like flames of devotion, but I'm speaking generally.)

What this means is, basically, for a lot of DPS builds Might doesn't really matter. In that example, the difference between 10 might and 20 might is the difference between +245% damage and +275% damage. In real number, that's 7.5 damage. So for a quite significant 10 point investment into might and "+30% damage" you actually only gain 12.5% damage per hit. Those are some serious diminishing returns imo. (And we're pretending for the sake of argument that you can't increase Might *dramatically* with drugs, which you can, to make your actual investment even less relevant.)

So yeah, that's my 2 cents. If you're playing a class/class combination that has a lot of stacking damage modifiers like that, it's *probably* not worth investing heavily in might.

Attack speed (so, Dexterity) will be a bigger increase in your damage (for reasons I actually can't show the math for because I don't know it) and survivability will increase your overall damage more cus you'll be able to DPS like 87.5% as effectively but you'll be able to keep doing it in situations where a more glass cannon build might struggle/die.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 312,176.49
Bank: 8,359.71
Wiki Edits: 24554
@Castielle

He's the nerd :P
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Like, it's *possible* my view is horribly skewed either because I've missed something or because both my party DPS are rogue hybrids, but I don't think so. I know not every class is like that (priests really need might to heal effectively) and the fewer passive damage bonuses you can stack the more important might is actually going to be to your overall dps. But I also know Paladins stack several too.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

xsanf

Souls: 3,950.00
Bank: 3,040.00
Wiki Edits: 1183
You're right, and now even Priests do not need too much Might for healing spells (looked at Xoti, she has only +6% Might bonus for healing spells, the main bonus is given by Power Level). Perception matters (no hit - no damage, obviously, and no debuffs for crowd controller) and Action Speed. To dump Might too much would be unwise, though, cause it's not only damage, but Fortitude defense (I usually keep low-priority stats at 8, will be 10 with Berath's Blessing).
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 244,517.02
Wiki Edits: 44087
Might was so much better during early access when it was calculated after all other calculations. As of now, you only really need it for Builds that Heal and damage. Chanters for example.

Cas
He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has. - Epictetus
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon