Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Drayelya

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 742.00
Curious which one you guys recommend. I WAS going to go both with high vitality and dragon rider bow but, I don’t want to have to have Havel’s +3 late game.

I love stomp but, I like Drake blood’s fashion and moveset. Not to mention even though it has three damage types it can be really nice when sharp infused on a quality build. Not really sure about the other pros and cons of the two though, except that the bastard sword can be heavy infused and still match up to its refined counter part with less investment.

What do you guys think, is Drakeblood more worth it for the moveset and WA?
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 44,334.50
Wiki Edits: 564
Drakeblood's whole deal is that it's buffable. You're supposed to cast Lightning Blade, Darkmoon Blade, or Crystal Magic Weapon on it, which will add on with the base elemental damage already there and push the total just high enough to bypass a major defense threshold, which boosts the damage by more than you would normally get for buffing a weapon. So, it's generally better as Raw and used on a build with 60 Faith or 60 Intelligence.

It's also kinda short and a tad weak though, so other weapons with inherent elemental damage like the Dragonslayer's Axe or Lothric Knight Greatsword are better at the same job. Drakeblood's only claim to fame is that it's the one buffable weapon in the game with inherent magic damage instead of lightning or dark, letting you get the same benefit from Darkmoon Blade (or Crystal Magic Weapon) that the other weapons do from Lightning Blade or Dark Blade.

Polyedra

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,027.00
Drakeblood has the same moveset as Hollowslayer, if that can be of any use.

Agurzil

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 68.00
Bank: 14,327.00
Wiki Edits: 710
Huh, I wonder what's the difference in actual damage when comparing a physical build (str, dex or quality) and their appropriate infusion buffed with resins (or just the starting magic blade spell) to a raw one buffed with one of the higher tier weapon buff spells. Crystal Magic Weapon or Darkmoon Weapon or lightning blade. Which version would be stronger?
Man takes up the sword to protect the small injuries that burdened his heart, on a distant day beyond his memories.
Man wields the sword to die with a smile on his face, on a distant day beyond his dreams.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 21,131.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Agurzil wrote:Huh, I wonder what's the difference in actual damage when comparing a physical build (str, dex or quality) and their appropriate infusion buffed with resins (or just the starting magic blade spell) to a raw one buffed with one of the higher tier weapon buff spells. Crystal Magic Weapon or Darkmoon Weapon or lightning blade. Which version would be stronger?

the latter will come on top by a fair bit :
SHARP DRAKEBLOOD:
the drakeblood has a maximum of about 320 AR in physical on a sharp meta dex build (70+dex) +142 lightning +142 magic.
you can bundle it in lightning up 120 to 320 Phys+260 lightning+142 magic
at meta level, basically anything doing less than 150 in one category does basically nothing. so your sharp will do something like 200 per swing buffed with bundle.

DARKMOON DRAKESWORD
raw at 60 faith or 40/40 crystal chime or whatever works best
231 physical + 142+142
add a solid 230 magic (no idea, rough estimate) for a final 231+400+142
I would say maybe maybe 100 physical goes through + 230 magic + peanuts lightning = 350 per swing

this will be about 30% stronger than your optimal sharp infused one with lightning bundle I would say.

HYBRID 40dex 40 faith
say 300 physical + 142 magic + 170 magic + 142 lighniting
I would guess 300 would go through at least.

In my experience, the drakeblood buffed with darkmoon hits hard, very hard but can be very easily countered (a little of those blue fruits thingies). I had a very very strong build based on that last year: darkmoon blade of the drakeblood or the raw corvian knife with a faith build....pfff....it is a noob killer. But versus seasoned players, it is meh (this was before the time of the lightning arrow spell though...)
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 44,334.50
Wiki Edits: 564
announakis wrote:raw at 60 faith or 40/40 crystal chime or whatever works best

Buff spells ignore any of the special scaling properties of catalysts. Crystal Chime won't give dual int/fth to Darkmoon/Lightning Blade, Sunless/Caitha's won't give dual scaling to Dark Blade, Man-Grub/Archdeacon's don't give scaling to Crystal Magic Weapon at all since it only scales with Int, etc. So, 60 Faith would work best in this case. That's also why pyromancers are really bad at buffs, because Crystal Chime has only C Faith scaling, Dark Blade doesn't get Intelligence scaling, and Carthus Flame Arc ain't nothing to write home about.

Also, damage gains from increasing AR are not a linear increase. For instance, if your AR is lower than someone's defense, it'll be reduced more than if it's higher, and the higher your AR is over their defense the less it'll be reduced. This happens at certain breakpoints (I can't remember the exact amounts, sorry).